how many bottle cage mounts needed for battery?

crunchie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2018
UK
I've just received a woosh xf08c kit today and im putting it together tonight/tomorrow.

My bike has 2 bottle cage mounts but I notice the battery mount has holes for 3. Should I drill a hole for the third or is 2 sufficient?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
on most bikes, use one existing and add two M5 rivnuts.
They are included in your kit. The rubber feet go to the top and bottom locations.

Reactions: crunchie

crunchie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2018
UK
Thanks guys, that what I was thinking considering the mass of the battery.
I'll probably add a velcro strap for good measure

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
Are any tips on how to drill a hole in the tube as my cordless drill won't fit in there ? Also, I have control cables running inside that tube - again, any tips to avoid them or is it just a case of keeping the drill bit from penetrating too deeply ?

TIA
Paul

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Put a bit of masking tape on the downtube to make pen marking easier.
Draw the middle line of the tube on the entire length of the masking tape.
You will find the only one of the two cage bolts can be used to attach the cradle to the tube. Attach the cradle to the tube with that bolt.
Use a small punch to mark the two drill positions. If you don't have a punch, a large nail will do.
Remove the cradle.
Use a 6.5mm (or 6mm if you don't have 6.5mm) HSS drill bit on the lowest speed setting, drill the holes.
It's very easy to drill through the 2-3mm alloy tube, so go in dead slowly.
Finish the holes with a small round file. You don't want the holes bigger than the rivnuts, a little under is better, just give the rivnuts a push in.

D

Deleted member 4366

I use a Dremmel with a ball-ended carbide burr. You have to be careful and controlled with it. I make a hole then gradually open it to the correct size.

If you use a right-angled drill, you can get in better if you cut the drill bit in half with a Dremmel or angle-grinder.

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
Thanks for the tips :)

If forgot about the Dremmel. I can get a small drill bit in the chuck of the wandering lead adapter. From there I might be able to open up the hole by hand using a home made holder to hold a sharp 6.5mm bit