Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I've just seen a monkey with a pair of wings

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
An early motorcyclist. Small Hondas were great around London and the outskirts. I must have been one of the lucky ones to survive. I then moved to East Anglia and encountered open roads and real winds - too much for small Hondas, but then the car entered my life!!!!!

John

The_Bike_Whisperer

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2008
I have a Harley Davidson Road King, 1550cc of V twin Grunt, an ideal bike for touring with cruise control and a comfortable seat like an armchair. My other love is my Wisper 905SE, ideal for quick sprints to the local chippy and shops. The Wisper may be small in comparision but big on spirit and fun, I'm sure it thinks it is a baby Harley...

John

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Interesting; so many e-bikers are bikers too. (And that's just on this site). Wonder what the e-bike marketeers will make of that, I wonder?

Amongst the general public, E-bikes seem to hold an image of elderly Miss Marples/Jessica Fletcher types, matronly sailing along astride their e-bikes, with billowing skirts in their wake.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Interesting; so many e-bikers are bikers too. (And that's just on this site). Wonder what the e-bike marketeers will make of that, I wonder?
Maybe it's the motorcycle trade that's missing a trick?

When I joined the trade shortly after WW2 my dealer and many others combined cycle and motorcycle business, and we fitted auxiliary motors to bikes.

Maybe the motorcycle dealers could take on e-bike agencies and repeat history.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Vectrix DE :: Homepage: Vectrix 100% Personal Electric Vehicle, Electric Scooter, Zero Emissions::Vectrix.com

I looked at these in the Summer of 2008... :)

You do need a full bike License...

Electric Super-Scooter....

Max Speed - 62 mph
0-50 mph in 6.8 seconds
Range: Erm, I'll leave that up to u to work out :eek:

Vectrix DE :: Homepage: Vectrix 100% Personal Electric Vehicle, Electric Scooter, Zero Emissions::Vectrix.com
I gave these some serious consideration but it has the disadvantages of a motorbike coupled with low speed, high price and not enough range. The price has improved now but the main problem is the limited range. :(
And of course now I've got used to cycle only routes it would taker a lot to give them up.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Just visited the Vectrix home page (via the link) and had a play with the range tool.
Not very impressed.
A 45mph round trip would get me to St Austell and Newquay. Its max range was almost to Liskeard, might have to push the last few miles home.
However it wouldn’t make it to and back from Launceston or Looe. If I had to go to the main Hospital (Truro) I’d have to walk back if I couldn’t find a recharge point - Recharge point! In Cornwall! Oh, I'm such a joker :eek:
Think I'll keep to my electric bike and take the bus.
(Bus! In Cornwall! Who am I kidding :mad:)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Think I'll keep to my electric bike and take the bus.
(Bus! In Cornwall! Who am I kidding :mad:)
Bus? In Cornwall?

Possibly the best chance is hitching a lift in a holiday home owner's gleaming 4 x 4. :D

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Interesting topic this.

Ebikers do have an image of an elderly person riding along as someone has said on this topic. It is surprising to see how many were and are motorcyclists.

I have had my full motorcycle license since I was 17. I had a few small motorbikes and scooters - could never afford a big bike. I still admire motorbikes and would love to own one but at 61 I guess I am too old now :(
My son has just bought a Honda 175 recently - maybe he will let me try it out :D

I rode them in all weathers just like I ride my ProConnect now, whatever the weather. It is so much easier to get to work than joining the traffic queues.

I have also noticed how the many obstacles such as humps, traffic lights and so on, on my route, cause the cars and lorries to come along in groups of about six or seven. Then it goes nice and quite before the next lot come along. Traffic is not allowed to move along like it used to 40 years ago.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I have had my full motorcycle license since I was 17. I had a few small motorbikes and scooters - could never afford a big bike. I still admire motorbikes and would love to own one but at 61 I guess I am too old now :(
I think the average age of a Fireblade rider is 55 so you aren't too far off.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
I've just noticed the 'NO' button click up another notch.

Assuming the YES' button ends up at just over two or three dozen bikers, the NO button therefore could logically end up at (ooh what was the last forum membership tally?), at about 3,000 or so. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They're not all active though. When I checked those coming in over a four day thread life it was 164 members, so it's 25 bikers in around 120 members at the moment, over one fifth.

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
E-bikes and motorbikes

Interesting topic this.

I still admire motorbikes and would love to own one but at 61 I guess I am too old now :(
:D
Well , you are never to old for a motorbike , in fact I enjoy motorcycling more now that in my "early days".

I have a Triumph Bonneville and my Torq , but love my motorbike more as it makes more noise:D

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Got my full motorbike licence in 1966 (three months before my car one), and owned Hondas for 20 years, but never since the mid-80s.

BossBob

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2007
Fife - Scotland - KY11
When the last of the 60 limit roads for miles around my area changed to 40 limit, and with much of the South East all 40 limit now, I sold my last one four years ago since riding modern larger bikes is not a pleasure at low speeds.
And just WHY do you think they all come to Scotland??
We still have hundreds of miles of open space, technically a 60, ish :D :D

And to the gent at 61 .... I had a friend of 73 return to biking and we did many a tour at a pace to suit him, he even did Europe with old army pals and got through 4 or 5 bikes before finally chucking it in. Never sat a test in his life .... and boy did it show!! :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And just WHY do you think they all come to Scotland??
We still have hundreds of miles of open space, technically a 60, ish :D
Yes, I envy those roads and the many in the North of England that make for great riding. The South East is largely washed up now in this respect, too crowded basically.

Not bothered though, I had many years of riding and driving enjoyment at a time when only a tiny minority had any sort of motorised wheels and when there was no national speed limit of any kind.

Empty roads everywhere and no restriction, that was real freedom.