How many electric bikes do you see out on the roads?

MazB

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
I signed that Petition too how dare they try to do such a crazy thing :mad:

I use the Bristol to Bath cycleway for pleasure but ride my UM55 daily into Bristol on the mad roads.
What bike do you ride BrizzleBoy? I'll wave to ya if I see you :D

BrizzleBoy

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2007
Bristol
I signed that Petition too how dare they try to do such a crazy thing :mad:

I use the Bristol to Bath cycleway for pleasure but ride my UM55 daily into Bristol on the mad roads.
What bike do you ride BrizzleBoy? I'll wave to ya if I see you :D
Hi MazB

I am still unassisted ( my bikes been on order since mid Jan )

Watch out for a Wisper 905SE tootling along before the end of april :p

ps lafree spotted tonight

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Spotted a chap this morning, riding up Herries Road in Sheffield.
The bike looked like a Powerbike (all Silver). It was cold, but he had a suit on. Tie, shirt and all that. Coming up the hill with ease though.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Spotted this morning - an electric recumbent!

On Uxbridge Road at about 7:45am. I overtook it when it was caught behind a bus. I was hoping to be able to have a chat with the rider at the lights, but he didn't catch up with me.

I did have a clear view of the motor and the first thing I checked was if it was a Tongxin, to see if it was Jeremy. But it was a much larger motor, possibly a Heinzmann from the shape.

Frank

C

Cyclezee

Busy morning, I've been to 50c to collect my 2nd Agattu, got home and replaced the tyres on my Wisper 905se for Continental Contact Security. Then I went for a spin on the Wisper to check out the tyres when just a mile from home on the side of the Grand Union canal I saw a PowaCycle Milan 2 with trailer attached and full of fishing tackle. The guy only lives about a mile from me and had had his bike 6 weeks. It has a lead acid battery and a range of about 7 miles, but the whole lot cost him £500 including trailer. Quite heavy and not much range, but it does all he wants.
I have not met anyone with an e-bike so close to home before.

John

Last edited by a moderator:

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
I live between cambridge and harlow.

Theres an old guy in my village of 200 odd souls with a powacycle which sounds as old as him. Me and him are the only all year round cyclists.

I see quite a few electric bikes round harlow (there are a few bumps here). Lots of budget ones, powacycle, urban movers and similar brands. Also the odd home brew piece of kit. Typical riders are commuters , oaps and shoppers.

I see the odd Lafree around cambridge. Cant recall seeing any other makes although their a lot of people selling them round here.

I was on holiday in zomerzet once at a lovely cafe in a hilly area and an elderly but very spry couple rode down the (steep) hill on their lafree's parked up and came into the cafe

sparky5

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2008
How many?

Hi all.
Living in Bristol we are quite spoiled for choise as the local council has insisted on cycle paths / bridal ways following new roads as they have been built, (one of the few sensible things they have spent our council tax on) the ring road has only been finished a few years ago and there is a cycle path with proper bridges ETC.
It is a joy to be able to follow the course of the traffic without having to come in to close contact with it.
We also have a disused railway line that has been converted in to a cycle way as you are aware of.
It starts at the centre of bristol and goes all the way to Bath, being an old railway line it is quite level (as opposed to the rest of the roads round Bristol) and is a cyclists dream.

Back to how many electric bikes have I seen on the cycle track not many, but incresing every trip when you are riding one a suprising number of people notice you when you go by especialy the young!

The "Ass in the air peddeling as though their life depended on it" brigade make coments but I ignore them as without the help of the battery I would not be cycling at all!!!

Cheers, Mark.

Last edited:

rustyrocker

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2008
Only seen one round here in south oxfordshire. Think it was a Powabyke. 12 mph, not pedalling, but only saw it fron behind. Last year while on holiday in Italy (Lake Garda), I saw loads of them, even a police bike. Maybe Britain is lagging behind a little, me thinks!

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
I saw a powacycle sailsbury 2 weeks ago in southampton it was parked in the high street and it looked brand new it also seemed a big bike:D all may be i am shrinking at 5ft 7ins :) nigel.