How much does it cost to recharge a battery ?

Jed

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
Hi all,

does anybody know how much it costs to recharge a battery. I am commuting to work but I am chargingg the battery at home overnight. We are not on economy 7 or anything like that. I ride a Torq.

thanks
Jed

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not something to worry about Jed.

There are too many variables to give one accurate figure, depth of discharge, how much per unit of electricity that you're paying etc.

However, for a theoretically perfect 100% efficient charger and a completely flat battery with electricity at 9p per unit, about 3.24 p.

No charger has anything like that efficiency, and your battery won't be completely flat, so typically it will be roughly around 7 to 9 p.

Therefore no need to break out in a cold sweat as you plug in! :eek:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
An absolute bargain compared to a gallon of petrol :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes indeed! Here's the workings Jed:

I unit of electricity = 1000 watts (cost of a unit is on your electricity bill)

Torq Battery 36 volts x 10 Ah = 360 watts

which is another way of saying 36% of 1000 watts, therefore of a unit's cost, and that's where my 3.24 p came from, 36% of 9p.

Chargers like most electrical things are around 40% efficient, so allowing for that loss, we get a cost of 8.1 p.

Hence my 7 to 9 p.

Those efficiency losses are as heat expelled by the fan.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Charge at night to reduce emissions

That's what this article from Scientific American suggests:

Science & Technology at Scientific American.com: Spare Power Sufficient to Fuel Switch from Gas to Electric Cars -- Existing U.S. power plants could provide enough juice to switch 84 percent of the 220 million American vehicles on the road from gasol

Switching to electric vehicles and charging them using 'spare' capacity at night could reduce CO2 emissions by a whopping 18%. Article also highlights security advantages of not having the nations vehicles dependent on imported oil. Is the tide turning over there?

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
The "amortisation" cost of the battery, alone, is probably more than double the 7 to 9p figure, though...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Agreed Miles, it's by far the largest running cost of an electric bike, especially with Lithium.

Tim, the Americans do seem to be having a second look. They've been unfairly accused of lagging on power usage in the past, but in some areas they really tried. They've had many years experience of using wind power, but having found 13 to 24% availability on the best sites they tended to lose interest. I wish we wouldn't put so much emphasis on such an unreliable future power source that needs permanent backup on standby to provide at least 65%.

Of course GM also put loads of money into electric bike and car research and produced a reasonable large car, but the Americans just wouldn't buy it. I understand the unfinished end product of the work on bikes is the BionX. A pity they didn't finish the work on that.