1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often does the bbso1 need to be in the correct gear?

Discussion in 'Electric Bike Conversion Kits' started by flik9999, Jan 13, 2018.

flik9999

flik9999 Finding my (electric) wheels

Hello so I am soon going to install the bbso1 onto my bike. However as I have DT shifters I will often just stay in wrong gear and grind up the hill, is this style of riding likely to damage my motor. For example on a hill I might just stay in my 42x18 instead of shifting down to my 42x32.

The motor comes with a 46t chainring so my gearing will be a bit on the high side. Just wondering if my style of riding is going to damage the motor as DT shifters can be annoying to shift with.

flik9999

The motor says it can handle 80nm torque whatever that means.

Benjahmin

Benjahmin Pedelecer

I've never owned one of these so no expert. However any motor has a range of revs which it is happiest working within. As your motor is driving through your gear train, the gear you are in will affect its speed of rotation. If you are in too high a gear going up hill the motor will be spinning too slowly. This means that it will run inefficiently, a lot of the power consumed being turned into heat. Bad for the motor and battery range. In a worse case scenario the motor may stall or even burn out.
    I'm sure others will tell you what your cadence needs to be to keep the motor sweet.
    So, the answer to your question is ALWAYS.

What are DT shifters anyway?

p.s. The 80nM figure is meaningless as this changes every time you change gear.

Fordulike

Fordulike Pedelecer

On all the BBSxx units, it's best to be in a gear where you are pedalling at a high cadence when going up steep gradients. That's not to say that you have to be pedalling at the same speed as the gearing though. I ghost pedal quite often, where I'm turning the pedals at just enough cadence to kick the PAS in, but the motor is doing all the work.

Bottom line, don't labour these units, something will give eventually!

d8veh

d8veh Pedelecer

This is what I mean by a hub-motor being more relaxing. You need to be in the right gear all the time with a BBSxx. Torque goes up as the cadence goes down. That torque can damage the motor as well as the drive train. Running the motor too slow makes it run with very high current inefficiently, so it would soon overheat and blow the controller.

Nealh

Nealh Pedelecer

The controller will fry if continual use of too high a gear is used, the drive doesn't operate well when laboured so keep it spinning the faster the better.
    On my BBS01 I have a 42 blekkie and a 42 low gear.
    The first sign of a major issue on my one was a surge in power (excess amps) by the way of acceleration then at some stage an Error 12 on the lcd and then maybe an error 30. By then the damage is done and a new controller is needed.

#6 Nealh, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    flik9999

DT:towntube shifters

In regards to gearing im going up to 9 speed soon. Should i go for a close 12-16 or a wide 11-32?

d8veh

d8veh Pedelecer

11- 32.

flik9999

Also mine came with a trottle is this strange flr bbxx?

KirstinS

KirstinS Pedelecer

No, perfectly normal. You don't have to use it

throttles are legal on legal conversion kits