How to reduce lowest assist speed on bafang BBS02B?

JVC

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2020
I've got a bafang BBS02B 750w mid drive with a 52V 14AH battery. Set at PAS 1 it is too fast for me and really "kicks in" - not a nice smooth assist or low cruising speed.

I have the USB programming cable on the way. With this can I reduce PAS 1 and can the assist be smooth rather than just and "on/off" feel?

Would a lower voltage battery reduce the speed? I read before buying that less than 52v isn't good for this motor. Do it make sense to get a lower voltage battery to decrease the speeds?

- A separate question. The are only 3 PAS modes. Shouldn't there be 9?

Thanks

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are settings for it when you do the programming to ramps up the power from start. You'll see here under the pedal assist tab:

JVC

Sep 22, 2020
There are settings for it when you do the programming to ramps up the power from start. You'll see here under the pedal assist tab:
Thanks, i'll give it a go when the cable arrives. Do you know why I'm only getting 3 PAS modes currently? Is there anything I can do manually to slow down the low setting now? Could it be anything to do with the speedometer set up?

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Thanks, i'll give it a go when the cable arrives. Do you know why I'm only getting 3 PAS modes currently? Is there anything I can do manually to slow down the low setting now? Could it be anything to do with the speedometer set up?
What display have you got.?
You can set the number of modes from the display using the advanced settings, they range from 2 to 9
levels (excluding level 0).

JVC

Sep 22, 2020
I can see I'm meant to "short press" "up" and "down" at the same time to change PAS levels but it's not doing anything. Long pressing takes me into something else...
any ideas?

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
I can see I'm meant to "short press" "up" and "down" at the same time to change PAS levels but it's not doing anything. Long pressing takes me into something else...
any ideas?

JVC

Sep 22, 2020
Thanks!
I've done it. PAS 1 is still quite a jolt. So it'll have to wait for the programming cable to reduce that. Something like the walk assist level is what I was expecting for PAS 1

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Thanks!
I've done it. PAS 1 is still quite a jolt. So it'll have to wait for the programming cable to reduce that. Something like the walk assist level is what I was expecting for PAS 1
I have found, depending on where you bought your Bafang from, will depend somewhat on how it is programmed! From the China they seem pretty much standard, a lot of the UK suppliers do their own thing!!!!
Once you have got your lead put a screenshot up of your settings, it will indicate what is not to your liking.
Ive got a couple of 500w's and a 750w, and have played around quite a bit to get them to my liking!