How to run a BBSHD48v at 52v?

mr_ed

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2022
I have a 48v/30a stamped BBSHD.

I'd quite like to run it at 52v as the battery I've chosen comes in 48/52v variants that are exactly the same size/casing and close in price and it'll give a bit longer range.

I'm intending on getting a serial cable so I can alter the power delivery/limits etc.

What do I need to do to run my motor at 52v? I'm using a 500C display and would like the levels to read correctly on this too.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon

I'd quite like to run it at 52v as the battery I've chosen comes in 48/52v variants that are exactly the same size/casing and close in price and it'll give a bit longer range.

I'm intending on getting a serial cable so I can alter the power delivery/limits etc.

What do I need to do to run my motor at 52v? I'm using a 500C display and would like the levels to read correctly on this too.
You have one of the older 30 amp variants, so I believe it should run fine on either 48/52v. I think the newer 28 amp models you have to match to the voltage you want, or flash the fimware? Display should work OK, but with some you may not get battery voltage on a fully charged 52v battery. Have a look on ES for more detailed info.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone

Word of warning - I had the 52v battery that was the same size as the 48v, it only lasted two years - the cells were fine but they were only held together by the welding, as the supports were removed to allow the extra cells for the 52v, and it was the welding that caused intermittent power faults. I gave up & moved to a 48v with no problems since.