I had a quick go on a Wisper 905se today.

WaiWonChing

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2007
eZee

Conal,

I would suggest you put the 2nd or even 3rd battery on with a parallel connection, and we have these battery carrier bags with Cyclepoint.
If you wish I will send you the drawing and photo on how this could be attached.

W W Ching

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Conal,

I would suggest you put the 2nd or even 3rd battery on with a parallel connection, and we have these battery carrier bags with Cyclepoint.
If you wish I will send you the drawing and photo on how this could be attached.

W W Ching
Ideally you want a Schottky diode combiner. I can help you with that if you like.

Nick

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Dual Batteries

Hi Conal

We have found that our 36v 14a lithium polymer does the trick already without the need for more than one battery although as Wai Wan says we could easily ad another battery in parallel giving us a 1032ah model.

Our batteries have recently been tweaked and we have just finished REAL ROAD TESTS in shanghai, as against rolling road tests which are always massively inaccurate and err towards giving ebike ranges a huge boost! The results we seriously impressive. An example;

Rider: 77kg (12 stone)

Air temperature: 10 to 12 degrees

Wind: 2-3

Road surface: Good, Dry

Rout: Circuit, Flat

Maintained speed: 25kph

Mode: Throttle Only

Battery voltage prior to tests: 41.5v

Battery voltage after tests: 34.4v

Range

Test 1

Braking 14 times

65km (39 miles)

Test 2

Braking 22 times

59 km (35 miles)

These tests were with throttle only, we then tested with pedal assist, the ranges varied between 71 km (43 miles) and 118km (71 miles) depending on the amount of assistance the rider gave to the motor.

The 905xs will be heavier because of the extra motor but on single motor use we would expect similar results and with both motors operating we expect to see up to a 30% drop depending on conditions.

Ranges are always difficult to work out so much depends on variables such as;

Tyres
Tyre pressure
Wind resistance
Rider weight
Braking
Air temperature
Road conditions
Hill climbs

However I believe the tests carried out this week were as fair as we could get.

All the best David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Open day.

What a brilliant idea hooligooner.

I assume you mean here and not in Shanghai, although if anyone would like me to arrange a trip to China to visit Bafang (motors) PMT (Frames) Advanced (batteries) and our factory I would be delighted to oblige it may be quite fun.

Rather than meeting at New Milton in the New Forest we could arrange a day at a more central location if there was enough interest, I could hire a go kart track or similar for the day.

Best regards David

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Thanks David, Ching and Nick

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but just to say thanks for your help. David, the new bike sounds awesome. Now you will have all the manufacturers raising their game as well!

I will PM Ching and Nick

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
depending on how 'central' the location is, I'd certainly be interested :)

John
I would come along too. Could this be the inaugaural meeting of the Wisper owners club? You would be ahead of the game again, David.

It's great to see a British design conquering the world, albeit built elsewhere. Well done!

I suspect you would take first prize on the Presteigne Hill climb, if allowed to enter. You will have to persuade Pete Mustill to take it off road!

Regards

John

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
Could a pedelecers 'jolly boys' day out to the Wisper factory, some time next spring be on the cards?
If a coach is employed let's hope smoke doesn't come out from the back of the radio and then the coach blows up!
Tony, Fools and Horses Fan, 'Jolly Boy's Outing'

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Having not been around for much of last month, I have only just read this thread - the Wisper xs model sounds extremely interesting. Does anyone know if it has landed in the UK yet & what the anticipated price might be?

Best wishes, Rus.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

I would like to try it but not sure if they have my size, what is the maximum weight and height.

thx

Bob

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
In XS

Having not been around for much of last month, I have only just read this thread - the Wisper xs model sounds extremely interesting. Does anyone know if it has landed in the UK yet & what the anticipated price might be?

Best wishes, Rus.
Hi Russ

We have three new models on the drawing board, the XS, 906 and the 500W 905.

The XS and 500W 905 are being trialled for the USA market and emergency services. After my recent trip to see the prototypes I can report that the 500W 905 will be the first on the scene with the new Bafang high speed brushless 500W motor. We will be bringing them into the UK on a pre order basis as they are strictly illegal if used on the public highway. In the USA and Canada they will be the standard.

The price although not confirmed yet will be about £150 more than the equivalent 250W models. The speed will be limited to 20mph and the range is expected to be about 20% lower than the 250W version.

Best regards David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Height and weight

Hi

I would like to try it but not sure if they have my size, what is the maximum weight and height.

thx

Bob
Hi Bob

Our 700 and 900 series bikes are all built to take a 20 stone rider so I assume that won't be a problem. With the new riser handle bars the 900 series will comfortably be used by people of up to about 6'3".

All the best David

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Hi Russ

The XS and 500W 905 are being trialled for the USA market and emergency services. After my recent trip to see the prototypes I can report that the 500W 905 will be the first on the scene with the new Bafang high speed brushless 500W motor. We will be bringing them into the UK on a pre order basis as they are strictly illegal if used on the public highway. In the USA and Canada they will be the standard.

The price although not confirmed yet will be about £150 more than the equivalent 250W models. The speed will be limited to 20mph and the range is expected to be about 20% lower than the 250W version.

Best regards David
Well now! I'm not above a bit of eXceSsiveness myself.

Form an orderly que behind me gentleman if you please

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I don't see why E bikes legislation is so strict. Surely if speed can be limited to maintain legality why also the restriction on a more powerful motor which would help with hill climbing etc.......

You can buy a sports car capable of over 200mph:rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't see why E bikes legislation is so strict. Surely if speed can be limited to maintain legality why also the restriction on a more powerful motor which would help with hill climbing etc.......

Widely shared opinion Eddie, only the speed limiting is really necessary, and the power to achieve that is a matter for designers, not legislators.

The problem with e-bike legislation is that it's placed on the bikes, where with cars it's placed on the drivers, leaving no mechanically defined limits to power or speed.

Regrettably there is some small degree of logic though, since offending cars are traceable via number plates etc and offending drivers history contained in a driving licence. Bikes and their riders aren't traceable for control purposes.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough

If the motor power wasn't restricted then I could get up to some proper hooligan activities and upset many people. :D

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Hi Russ

Best regards David
Hi David,

The XS is the two motor one, is that right? What's the latest news on that?

Nick

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
In XS!

Hi Nick

We will be sending both the XS and the 5OOW to the USA for tests with the LA Police, both bikes are 500W but the XS will be more expensive, it really depends on the LAPD's choice as to which one we will make available commercially.

Best regards David