Ideas for mounting hydraulic brake sensors on M6000 levers?

Javiatrix

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2020
Hey everyone :)

So, I got the BBSHD installed onto my 2012 Rockhopper today - test drive awesome, gear sensor worked perfectly (albeit at the loss of a wire while threading... Note to self, angle grinders are not a good alternative for a proper cutting tool!), but I'm stuck for ideas for mounting the little neodymium guys on the levers.
Have them functioning now courtesy of selotape (GREEN)... Hey, it was getting dark and I wanted it going!
The issue is, the 'best' place for the magnet (RED) happens to contain not a smooth piece of brake lever, but the (reach?) screw. I can't mount it further 'outboard' because it's way too far away to be registered by the sensor (BLUE).
Any tech/creative gurus have any ideas or tested workarounds? As don't want to ruin my street cred riding around with sticky tape all over my brakes!

Cheers

Reactions: sjpt

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
one of my customers made a bracket out of aluminium sheet to mount the magnet. I'll post a picture for you later when I find it.
In the meantime, this link shows all the usual ways to solve this problem:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
sticky tape all over my brakes
My street cred was ruined a long time ago, I just go fast enough no one spots me!

I have no experience with these brake levers however for mine, Magura HS11, I found a stronger magnet then the one supplied allowed me to increase the distance between the sensor and magnet for better positioning, but still use electrical tape and sticky pads to secure, black though.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Red electrical tape to hold the magnet on the combined brake/gear levers on our tandem. This temporary fix is just coming up for two years.

I have a long history of making good temporary lashups (real things and software). When I choose to replace the lashup and do the job neatly and properly it never works as well.

• :D
Reactions: PC2017

liefbike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2020
Mine are a work in progress, having found like others, that the hydraulic sensor system is finicky, especially with unsuitably shaped levers and brake bodies.

Lever travel is the biggest issue, however my Avid Juicy 5's have an extra click stop that adds to the distance, sufficient for it to work (still not exactly sure why these brakes have that extra stop), however unfortunately having to leave the brakes in that outer position whilst the motor is running means they are in a less comfortable position for grip. The adjustment screw brings the levers in but that then conflicts with the minimum distance requirement.

On mounting I filed a flat spot for the magnet, on the bottom of the brake body, so that the araldite could make a good bond.

I also found that the supplied magnets were not strong enough, so bought some thicker ones of the same diameter. (particle mass is relevant to magnetic strength).

With necessary help from another person, I have carefully tested the motor on motor off position for the sensors and having lightly sanded the back of the sensors to make a better bond, I will glue them to the levers today, after re-testing ('measure twice cut once').