Illegal ebike crackdown Coventry

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
E-bike users warned illegal vehicles will be seized and crushed in crackdown in Coventry city centre
Illegal bikes could be seized and crushed

" Ebikes must show the power output of the engine and maximum speed of the Ebike. "

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
So if cyclist does not dismount when ordered it might result in a £100 fine...
Aren't they funny...

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Can we be "ordered" to dismount? Best not get Furious about it either.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
So if cyclist does not dismount when ordered it might result in a £100 fine...
Aren't they funny...
They talking about their enforcement in a pedestrian area. Remember, it's illegal to ride a bike in such an area. They seem to be quite kind if they let people ride bikes until ordered to dismount.

I was riding my bike in Southend pedestrian zone at walking speed in the middle. I thought it would be easier and safer than pushing it, but a policemen came running to me shouting for me to get off and walk. I could understand if if there were people around but the place was deserted. There are signs up saying that cyclists should dismount, but I thought nobody would care if they saw that I was going very slow and there was nobody about but I was wrong. I explained to the policeman that there was more chance of hitting a pedestrian when pushing the bike than riding it, which I could see that he agreed with; however, he was enforcing the rules.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"People are also not coming into the centre because of bikes "infiltrating" pedestrian areas, a group of businesses warned. "

Blaming ebikes for the decline in pedestrian footfall on central high streets is crazy - it's generally cheaper and more convenient to buy online. I tried to buy a sink plunger from the high street, couldn't find one, had to ebay.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
"People are also not coming into the centre because of bikes "infiltrating" pedestrian areas, a group of businesses warned. "

Blaming ebikes for the decline in pedestrian footfall on central high streets is crazy - it's generally cheaper and more convenient to buy online. I tried to buy a sink plunger from the high street, couldn't find one, had to ebay.
I agree. People might just hate the lack of consideration of the riders, but there's no way that it would put anyone off going to the high street or any other pedestrian zone. That's just the press stirring up outrage and hysteria. How can a group of businesses warn someone. Who did they warn and how did they do it?

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Looking at their text;

What are the rules on ebikes?
  • Ebikes must show the power output of the engine and maximum speed of the Ebike.
  • The power must not exceed 250 watts and the speed must not exceed 15.5mph
  • If the Ebike does not comply with these rules then it is classed as a motorcycle or moped and riders will need to be licenced, taxed and insured.
  • Riders of unauthorised Ebikes will be liable to criminal enforcement and bikes may be seized and crushed.
Pretty much all ebikes exceed 250 watts at times and ebikes often go above 15.5mph assisted even if legal. Just fitting thicker tyres can increase the speed and there is some small variation in assisted speed. Of course you also have to determine when speed is assisted or just completely on human power. For the police to correctly determine if a ebike is legal it would need a series of tests both physical and electrical. It's a huge can of worms and if they crush an ebike which is later challenged in the court does the tax payer have to cough up for the compensation for this person? The police are already stretched thin and there is a much greater issue with cars and their drivers when it comes to safety. I don't see how this will be realistically and fairly policed. The current ebike laws are unenforceable as they are so poorly thought out and full of ridiculous restrictions which are often overlooked by manufacturers anyway. The certification process is heavily flawed too. I just wonder how this will be enforced. The recent deaths of children riding full electric motor bikes on the road may have caused this but those were e-motorcycles so not directly related to ebikes.

There is one youtube gig economy food courier who I think works in Coventry city centre on occasion so will be interesting to see what happens.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

Where I live there is a cycle path in pedestrian area in city center. One can't ride there because pedestrians infiltrate from all directions. Somehow nobody orders them to stop and dismount their shoes. It is just another case of discrimination and unequal treatment ;)

I go to city center maybe once or twice per year. Just like you said, I buy things online and city I live in is literally the ugliest city I have seen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's a huge can of worms and if they crush an ebike which is later challenged in the court does the tax payer have to cough up for the compensation for this person?
The procedure is that the Police of other authority apply to the magistrates for the order to crush, so the owner has plenty of opportunity to argue against it.

In practice owners rarely oppose, often because the vehicle cannot be type approved and therefore cannot be made legal.

Reactions: Woosh

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Hi all Coventry is my home city, and i have been cursing these idiots for the past 2 years, the idiots being the food delivery guys.
Everyone i meet has complained about them they are all on 750w and up bikes the majority are chunky heavier moped looking totally conspicuous ones.
Unfortunately they have not got the courtesy or good sense to reduce speed to walking speed or less in the pedestrianised precinct, it was only a matter of time before they injured somebody they were a menace.
I knew they were going to mess it up for everybody, i have stil been riding around on my 750w bbs02 but i probably ride slower then most people on 250w bikes, especially as i had a fall recently whilst at walking speed taking an innocuous turn, i have passed many police and they havent batted an eyelid but its a shame they have turned what was a non issue into an issue. Something had to be done though. to compound matters last week there has also been a spate of phone snatching in Cov city centre by a pair of balaclava clad tossers on some kind of surron type bike.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
These food delivery guys are all over in towns, cities etc,etc, I see them in my town and a neraby one 8 miles away. They ride with impunity no lights , very little if any pedalling yet think 25 /30mph night and day is ok.
None will have a cbt, none bikes will be licenced or insured just for the basics. Then we can mention throttle operated with no pedalling action, 4x the allowed wattage rating, no credible M/C helmet., light jumping & pavement riding and likely not a driving licence amongst them.

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I do see quite a few of those large motor rear wheel ebikes when out and about.

And this in itself is part of the issue, even if illegal bikes are being riden OK, the apearance of so many normalises their existance on the roads, so is it surprising that the less responsible riders use them too ?

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
I am pretty sure enforcement will mainly be applied to people riding wrecklessly in the city centre, so most people i hope wont be affected, the problem is now they have the mandate we are all fair game for that busy who is having a slow day and is hassled his sausages were burnt in the morning and decides to take it out on some poor respnsible rider.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
I live on the outskirts of a town and have only recently notice these delivery guys. No mistaking them with their big hubs lack of pedaling and a box on their backs surely an easy target for the police. I know these guys need to earn a living but to behave in a manner that gets you noticed doesn't make sense when what your are already riding is illegal.

On another topic a young lad was killed on his e scooter over the weekend in the late evening whilst traveling in the same direction as the vehicle that collided with him. If the law was applied this lad would no doubt be still with us. Also picking children up from school with an e scooter is becoming the norm for some. See it all the time.

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
we are all fair game for that busy who is having a slow day and is hassled his sausages were burnt in the morning and decides to take it out on some poor respnsible rider.
His ?

I doubt the degree of burn that an officer of the law imposed on his or her sausages in the morning has any legal implications.

However, if your breaking the current law, cycling where you should not be for instance and you object to being prosecuted then take your complaint to those that set the regulations, local councils, national government, supreme court etc.

Reactions: flecc

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Everyone i meet has complained about them they are all on 750w and up bikes the majority are chunky heavier moped looking totally conspicuous ones.

(...)

I knew they were going to mess it up for everybody, i have stil been riding around on my 750w bbs02
Isn't that ironic?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
On another topic a young lad was killed on his e scooter over the weekend in the late evening whilst traveling in the same direction as the vehicle that collided with him. If the law was applied this lad would no doubt be still with us. Also picking children up from school with an e scooter is becoming the norm for some. See it all the time.
While other countries have perfectly sensible attitudes towards scooters and they are used extensively without significant problems (talking about 20 kph limit and 250W max cont power, not allowed on pavements). The "car that collided" didn't do so of it's own volition, it was driven by a person. Cars driven at excessive speeds by inattentive people are a far bigger problem than scooters ever will be.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Also picking children up from school with an e scooter is becoming the norm for some. See it all the time.
Yep.

Real sad is it not, a single 'reponsible (?) adult' sending a message to a school of children that its OK to use eScooters for transporting children.