Illegal ebike crackdown Coventry

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can look into this, no promises though, I don't know anything about their technology.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i bet there using the bosch bms and did a mod to it but they wont sell me a bms or the batt case either. :rolleyes:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you cant seize one bike for not being road legal and steal a batt from another bike for what did it go 20mph? :rolleyes:

FastFreddy2

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
There are already 'general laws' (not e-bike/pedelec specific) that restrict where cyclists can ride. Since 1835, cyclists (riders of penny-farthings back then) were prohibited from riding on footways. Getting knocked down by a 5ft cartwheel, understandably, seems to have been seen as an unacceptable risk to pedestrians.

Some 40 or so years later, around 1880 (I think) equal sized wheels and a chain drive that we all know, became common place. Mr Dunlop and pneumatic tyres helped get it there.

It wasn't until 1896 (I think) Mr Benz produced a motor vehicle that might look like something we might also recognise. So two wheels were condemned to roads only, 60 years before motors cars, were 'a thing'.

Cyclists have been on the back-foot, for almost 200 years.....

In my county of Hertfordshire, the police seem to be quite fair about anything two-wheeled. Riding on pavements doesn't draw attention, riding an e-scooter doesn't draw attention. Harming someone, riding like a complete dick, WILL get you some attention. In these parts, pedestrian areas like town centres, have completely banned cycling, though I still see people riding bicycles (at sensible speeds) through them. Again, being respectful to the environment, (public walking space) gets you largely ignored.

When you ride this ....

Plainly labelled "1000w" ..... hub motor on a pavement (where has the bike been stopped), you really are asking for a problem that will put a crimp on your day.

I'm 100% sure, the police would rather be doing anything other than stopping cyclists or e-scooter riders. There are almost never any victims to these misdemeanours, and with so much crime with victims who really do need help and support from the police, it would be reasonable to expect the police would themselves rather be dealing with those crimes. Not exactly career enhancing is it, "confiscating e-bikes"?

The lesson here then; "don't prod the bear, and the bear won't bite"?

Reactions: Wayners

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
steal a batt from another bike for what did it go 20mph? :rolleyes:
From audio re: third bike:

"he was using it a lot more as an assistance as opposed to standalone"

Perhaps he might have got off with a warning and taken his bike home intact, if it were not for the throttle ie "standalone"? I hope they didn't judge that bike's top speed by it's no-load speed - if so, cops need educating! It'd be worrying if they "measured" pedal assist top speeds with the electrically powered wheel off the ground.

I see far fewer escooters these days.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I'm against a crackdown tbh. In pedestrian areas ect or bikes going too fast.

Not sure about this post? I have no idea who wrote this above? Got my name above? I'll go change my password.

I'm all for a crackdown on fast bikes in pedestrian area. I don't ride through them,I get off..

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As I see it anyone against any illegal crackdown on e motorbikes is because they also ride one.

Reactions: StuartsProjects

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
The Japanese have this clearly laid down in law. Cyclist can ride on pedestrian facilities and in some congested city areas have to by law. But when doing this the speed limit for them is 10kph, which is 6.25 mph. In practice their police are happy with up to 12kph (8mph) then.
Such a simple rule that is easy to remember, implement and police. Just feels something like this should be a priority for us. I personally would only set this limit to where cycles pass pedestrians and other cycles. I would allow higher speeds for open areas. The other issue is passing distance but this is difficult to work out on narrow shared paths but certainly some advice could be given I'm sure.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Such a simple rule that is easy to remember, implement and police. Just feels something like this should be a priority for us. I personally would only set this limit to where cycles pass pedestrians and other cycles. I would allow higher speeds for open areas. The other issue is passing distance but this is difficult to work out on narrow shared paths but certainly some advice could be given I'm sure.
My personal rule was always to be very close to the speed of the pedestrian I was passing, slow enough to exchange pleasantries, such as a "Thank you" and smile if they moved out of the way.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I just reverse the roles of the me vs car road world and behave towards pedestrians as I'd like cars to behave towards me.

Slow down to their speed, attract attention, communicate, wait to see what they are going to do, negotiate a pass.

A cooperative approach always works safely for all.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm against a crackdown tbh. In pedestrian areas ect or bikes going too fast.

Not sure about this post? I have no idea who wrote this above? Got my name above? I'll go change my password.

I'm all for a crackdown on fast bikes in pedestrian area. I don't ride through them,I get off..
Wayners has been hacked ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Wayners has been hacked ?
There's a saying about what a monkey could achieve with a typewriter and an infinite amount of time. Maybe there's another one about a cat, a keyboard and 5 minutes while you make a cup of tea. There's been plenty of such stories in computer gaming.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
There's a saying about what a monkey could achieve with a typewriter.

i got sacked from the job centre again they can tap all they like in to the computer system and i can do foi requests to see what they said pmsl

i can use a4 sheets of paper to wipe my ass ;)
https://flic.kr/p/25uCqKC

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Viral Wheelchair Riders in China Highlight Concerns Over E-Bike and Scooter Crackdown
" E-bike and scooter riders, of which there are evidently many, are pushing back. Some have described the viral videos of people using electric wheelchairs to get around as a tongue-in-cheek “protest” against the prospect of tightening regulations on their preferred vehicles. "

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria

they wont fkn post it and as the new smart frame batts wont work with the older motors cant you sell them ?
The first dealer I tried from their listing seems to ship to UK.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
How are Chinese sellers shipping to the UK from Germany able to do so without charging high for delivery? Presumably they also have some way of bypassing the onerous paperwork I've read complaints about. Perhaps EU sellers should open offices in China.

Last edited:

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Well after going into the city centre yesterday i noticed that there was not a single ebike weaving at high speed between pedestrians, in fact there wasn`t a single ebike in sight.
So it seems the crackdown has worked, still saw plenty of the culprits from town outside the city centre but at least now they are using the roads and not endangering pedestrians, fingers crossed this quells the hysteria and we can all just get on with it.