Impulse Buy, was it a mistake?

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
OK i have just pulled the trigger on this:eek::-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282439307335?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Incase the link is blocked its an Sram Dualdrive3 24 speed, in other words a three speed IGH with an 8 speed cassette.

I have not been happy with my current rear wheel setup from the start. I have only been able to use 7 of the 8 gears and even with a 42t narrow wide and it being bolted to the spider on the inside, i have still had the chain drop a few times. I was intending to fit dual chainrings like anotherkiwi but the chain line was so far out i soon gave up that idea. I have got the 42t bling ring coming tomorrow and that should push the chain line inboard some 9mm as its inset like the original BBS01 chain ring. So with my chain line being hopefully sorted and being resigned to a single front ring i had to look again at the rear end. I have investigated the Nuvinci hub and although its interesting i think its too expensive and too risky, mainly fluid leakage problems and both Shimano Nexus and Alfine are expensive this Sram thingy seemed worth a punt and although not cheap it seems a reasonable risk, especially as I read that it has been fitted to ebikes without too many problems, plus you get everything included for your Dosh. What do you think, have you any experience of it. Have i wasted my hard saved cash(which was going towards a motor for my other bike) and finally should i pay for it to be built or should i have a go at building the wheel myself and maybe paying for it to be checked and trued.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They work well and I like them. They've always seemed strong, but if there's a weak link, it will be the gear hub with both motor and rider power going through it. A tip, use the hub gears middle gear as much of the time that you can, since that's direct drive, the cassette just driving the wheel and not going though any hub internal gears. That's also more efficient.

SRAM have just packed up making the three DualDrives, probably too small a market for them, but Sunrace Sturmey have picked up the idea and now make one.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You will certainly have a gear for each occasion! You can change down on the hub when stopped which could be useful.

For me too many gears. In my ideal world 1x7 is plenty but no one makes a wide ratio 7 speed cassette do 1x8 it will be, a 38 on the front and a Sunrace 11-40 on the back https://www.dutchbikebits.com/alligt/alligt-chainrings-60bcd