Insurance for e-bikes

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
Looks like we are going to be purchasing our first e-bike!
Any recommendations to best insurance company's to insure with and a rough idea of cost?
The bike we are considering purchasing is about £1800 but our household insurance only covers us up to £1000 per bicycle! I'm pretty sure that it can't be upgraded either plus not sure if it even covers e-bikes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
https://www.cycleguard.co.uk/Home/Home

will give you a idea of cost tho not be cheap unless you can get it with ur house ins.

be worth giving them a ring to make sure that they will not cover it as might have a cheaper option.

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
https://www.cycleguard.co.uk/Home/Home

will give you a idea of cost tho not be cheap unless you can get it with ur house ins.

be worth giving them a ring to make sure that they will not cover it as might have a cheaper option.
I've just sent them a email but I don't think they will cover it! It's with AXA which only have two policy bands and we are already on the higher band which covers bicycles for £2.5k with £1k per single item! which I'm sure can't be upgraded as if it was I could have upgraded it online!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I tried to get my bikes covered on the Co-op house insurance. They said they would cover the wife's Big Bear at home and out and about, that's an £850 bike.
But my converted Carrera, which I reckon would be about £1200 to replace, they would only cover at home. Either way it was only for whole bike loss not damage or nicked accessories.

Reactions: -Bucks-

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well i did the above site for 1800 and was 11.12 a month with my post code.

not unless you want to change altogether with 1 that will allow the price of the bike inc.

i gave up with my bike as its more than a bmw 5 series diesel turbo :eek:

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A and -Bucks-

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
well i did the above site for 1800 and was 11.12 a month with my post code.

not unless you want to change altogether with 1 that will allow the price of the bike inc.

i gave up with my bike as its more than a bmw 5 series diesel turbo :eek:
It's not easy for us changing housold insurance! as I am a self employed gardener so our home is classed as a business address :-(

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
I think we would have to take the risk of not getting it insured! Or were even thinking of scrapping the whole idea of getting a e-bike after all the expense it's going to cost us :-(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i would just add it to what you have for £1000 as thats better than nothing tbh.

if you also use it with the trailer most will not even bother trying to rob it as to much effort.

Reactions: -Bucks-

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
i would just add it to what you have for £1000 as thats better than nothing tbh.

if you also use it with the trailer most will not even bother trying to rob it as to much effort.
If the bikes more than £1000 it probably won't be insured full stop, as they would say that we have underinsured it! Even thought they prob won't cover the higher price! Insurance company's are fecking con artists :-(
The trailer won't be a deterent as it just unclips from the bike, plus if they nicked the trailer it would be a double bonus for them as that cost us about £1k :-(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id not worry to much tbh as you can remove the batt and screen and will pretty much make the bike worthless.

add a nice bike chain and it be going nowhere less have angle grinders ;)

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
Just checked our AXA Insurance again, were paying an extra £26.69 for £2.5k with £1k single bicycle limit which seems a bit steep, if they won't upgrade us for more cover tomorrow I will be looking into changing insurance! But a lot of insurance company's won't touch us at a decent premium as we are classed as running a business from home :-(

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Change home insurance, as home content insurance is the cheapest way to get bike insured, at home and away.

Nah we don't have that sort of insurance, we're not realy running a business from home as such! I'm a self employed gardener using my home address, so that excludes us from a lot of home insurances :-(
Surely you must have commercial insurance for the rest of your equipment / liability insurance etc etc? The bikes could be covered under that?

Direct Line are pretty good.