Insurance for e-bikes

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Aren't you glad you aren't in the EU! :D

Here we can choose our insurance company from any country in the Euro zone. Germany and the Netherlands are in the Euro zone and they have heaps of e-bikes so the French companies (here in France) have had to adapt. "Anywhere" coverage for the full value of the bike (even home made, just show the bills) minus a small franchise, cost me a whopping 16€ per year on top of my home insurrance which already covered the same bike under the same conditions but just at home.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So Brexit already happened?
We've always had one leg in, one leg out!

We aren't in the eurozone though, so can't get the benefits of that as another kiwi has observed with the insurance example.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
What are you going to be using the bike for? If it's just leisure and is unlikely to be out of your sight in dodgy areas for any length of time, it might be worth not insuring at all.

I find that a lot of insurance policies for specific items aren't worth having, so have never bothered. My ebike is insured for a max of £1000 through the house policy, but it's not worth anything like that now due to age and usage, but even when it was worth more, I still didn't alter the policy value. I certainly don't take out mobile phone insurance or any form of extended warranty. Sometimes the probability of a loss happening is small enough not to bother with insurance. In certain instances, this can apply to your bike.

Reactions: -Bucks- and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i cant get my speakers insured anywhere as they just want loony money for it and have to use specialized insurers if i did want it.

also will not cover damage only theft so just did not bother as cant see anyone lifting 60kg and walking out of my house with them lol

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
i cant get my speakers insured anywhere as they just want loony money for it and have to use specialized insurers if i did want it.

also will not cover damage only theft so just did not bother as cant see anyone lifting 60kg and walking out of my house with them lol
I bet the neighbours hope someone nicks them.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Looking into insurance with Aviva! Reading the policy wording it states "we do not insure bikes with motors" so you may be better off double checking yours!

I wonder if that's for third party road use/cover??

Will check it out in the morning

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
What are you going to be using the bike for? If it's just leisure and is unlikely to be out of your sight in dodgy areas for any length of time, it might be worth not insuring at all.

I find that a lot of insurance policies for specific items aren't worth having, so have never bothered. My ebike is insured for a max of £1000 through the house policy, but it's not worth anything like that now due to age and usage, but even when it was worth more, I still didn't alter the policy value. I certainly don't take out mobile phone insurance or any form of extended warranty. Sometimes the probability of a loss happening is small enough not to bother with insurance. In certain instances, this can apply to your bike.
We are probably not going to end up with insurance as we usually think like you! apart from very high risk items! But it's just with being left outside while we go into coffe shops & visitor centres etc, also we have a few trips a year to Center Parcs so the bikes get locked up in the bike parks!

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
the anoying thing is the AXA policy which only covers to a max of £1000 per item! won't even cover us up to that value on this bike! They say it would be under insured so not covered at all even though it's them who can't/won't increase there limits!!!
I fecking hate insurance company's!!! with all there little loopholes & smallprint to get out of paying out in the event of a claim, I recon most of us are not insured as much as we think we are on anything if it did ever come to a claim, I must have paid £10s of thousands in insurance premiums over the years and never had any claims apart from a few motor accident/repair claims!!!

Last edited:

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
There's a house down the road from us, had a explosion due to a gas leak which half destroyed the house! It's still all boarded up a year later because the insurance company's can't agree who's at fault & passing the buck!

Edit I think there was a guy working there at the time trying to find the leak, so it's probably the house insurers saying it's the company's fault and Vice a versa, in the meanwhile this family are without there home for over a year whilst "our" premiums are paying to have them put up in another house or hotel or wherever they are!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I must have paid £10s of thousands in insurance premiums over the years and never had any claims apart from a few motor accident/repair claims!!!
I made the decision early in life to only insure minimally. Since then have only covered the structure of my property and basic car insurance, otherwise being my own insurer.

Now sixty years later as someone not at all accident prone, I've profited hugely from that policy, which has cost me virtually nothing.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I use Bradford and Bingley who will insure an e-bike for a relatively small extra cost, providing that..
1/..It has to be a bicycle powered by pedaling with a motor assist.
2/ It doesnt have a throttle and cant move without pedaling.
If it will move without pedaling hen they class it as a motorcycle so wont insure it.
The biggest problem as I see it is 3rd party insurance in case you are deemed to be responsible for damage to someone else's property... If you accidently fall off and scratch a Maserati for instance..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I must have paid £10s of thousands in insurance premiums over the years and never had any claims apart from a few motor accident/repair claims!!!
I made the decision early in life to only insure minimally. Since then have only covered the structure of my property and basic car insurance, otherwise being my own insurer.

Now sixty years later as someone not at all accident prone, I've profited hugely from that policy, which has cost me virtually nothing.
There's an amusing aside to this that I thought I'd share.

Many years ago soon after I moved into my present property and before I'd added extra security, my TV broke down one Thursday. The line output transformer had failed and being an old set wasn't worth repairing, so I'd decide to go out on Saturday to get a new one.

On the Friday my property was burgled, but the two intruders were disturbed by a neighbour and escaped. The only thing they managed to get away with was the very heavy but useless TV.

That's justice!

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I use Bradford and Bingley who will insure an e-bike for a relatively small extra cost, providing that..
1/..It has to be a bicycle powered by pedaling with a motor assist.
2/ It doesnt have a throttle and cant move without pedaling.
If it will move without pedaling hen they class it as a motorcycle so wont insure it.
The biggest problem as I see it is 3rd party insurance in case you are deemed to be responsible for damage to someone else's property... If you accidently fall off and scratch a Maserati for instance..
BRADFORD AND BINGLEY ??? thought they were taken over by Santander ?

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Bradford and bingley only in name - Looks like Budget Insurance Service Litd ( BISL ) are running every insurance website nowadays !!

Reactions: flecc

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
- Thanks for whoever pointed this out about AVIVA....Last August I added two KTM e bikes to my policy - explained that they were electrically ''assisted'' cycles -

No worries said the agent '' they are just like ordinary bikes''

so I added them to my policy for an extra premium due to the value of the bikes...

just got off the ''live chat'' with AVIVA - They advised that they were motorised vehicles and therefore could not be classed as cycles !!!

After explaining that they had been on the policy since August last year they agreed to change them over from ''CYCLES'' to named items of value !!!

Same cover - theft / vandalism / theft of equipment/accessories etc/ security requirements....for no extra charge.

PAPER EXCERISE !!!!!!

I tried to explain that they were ''electrically assisted '' and NOT
''electrically powered'' which as you all know is a BIG difference legally ---- But they just said it was the underwriters who made the rules....

So thanks again to the person who pointed this out - Note to all - check your house insurance before its too late !

Reactions: -Bucks-