Interesting news re Kalkhoff........

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Back in 2007 / 2008 Kalkhoff produced the Pro Connect with 24 spoke wheels. These wheels were not up to the job and many had issues with broken spokes. Kalkhoff revised the design, but those of us stuck with the 24 spoke wheels had a difficult time.
But couldn't the "faulty" wheels just be replaced by better, more robust third-party versions, at a fairly low cost?

It sounds like this was a different type of issue, compared to the Impulse II motors, which cannot be replaced by any other type of motor (Kalkhoff or otherwise).

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
But couldn't the "faulty" wheels just be replaced by better, more robust third-party versions, at a fairly low cost?

It sounds like this was a different type of issue, compared to the Impulse II motors, which cannot be replaced by any other type of motor (Kalkhoff or otherwise).
That's true, the wheels could be replaced, but the 8 speed Alfine hub gear costing a couple of hundred pounds, was drilled for 24 spokes so an expensive exercise. On an expensive bike which had only done just over 2000 miles and was only a few months old, I was not happy.

Eventually, I wrote to Derby Cycles directly to express my dissatisfaction and they sent me a set of 32 spoke wheels which are still fitted to the bike.

I know this isn't motor related, but I think similar principles apply. Expensive bike, flawed design.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hi Tillson,

I remember all the trouble you had at the time. One of my bikes is a 2008 24 spoker and (touching all the wood I can) it has survived and still OK after 9,000 odd miles. I prefer the ProConnect S, which has done more miles, but my son uses now intermittently uses the 24 spoker.
Yes, I remember some had no issue with the 24 spoke wheels and others had a nightmare! Good to hear that yours is still going well.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing