Intuvia without reset button

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
I already read about it on the German forum; sometimes the Intuvia display 'locks', saying 'shutdown' and you can not do anything and there is no reset button (nice when you are miles from home and even better, at night). This morning it happened to me; Intuvia locked and does nothing. Solution? Wait untill internal battery goes flat or unscrew and open the thing and shortcut the battery.
I used the Intuvia of my wife's bike to ride to the bakery.
Did the Bosch engineers really think they made a device that would never crash and did not need a reset button? Tsss tsss.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
There's a small hole in the centre/back of my Intuvia display which looks like a screw hole, but isn't.

I think that stands a chance of being a recessed reset button.

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
Nope, that is the hole to secure the Intuvia so it can not be taken off.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Nope, that is the hole to secure the Intuvia so it can not be taken off.
On mine the hole doesn't locate into anything on the base.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
The user manual suggests that pressing and holding (i) and 'reset' at the same time activates a menu. Maybe that's worth looking into? There might be a factory reset option in there.

Reactions: Emo Rider

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
i had similar problems for ages and internittently. It cuts out if the unit is screwed on too tight believe it or not. mine is a ktm macina and it was screwed on too tight onto handlebars. This just stops ine of the gold connector things connecting. You could also try taking it off and connecting it into usb charger (from mains not a laptop) in case it has lost its internal charge?

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
The user manual suggests that pressing and holding (i) and 'reset' at the same time activates a menu. Maybe that's worth looking into? There might be a factory reset option in there.
The problem is that when it 'hangs' button(s) do not react to pressing them.

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
Just read on the German forum that someone with the same problem spoke to his bike dealer. He contacted Bosch and they said they knew of the problem and that at this moment there is no solution for. They also said that normally this problem occurs only once (?!).

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
The problem is that when it 'hangs' button(s) do not react to pressing them.
Yes, I am sure that's the case for most buttons. However electronic devices often have a reset feature that operates at a lower-level than the CPU - activating that thing (whether it is a specific recessed button or a combination of keys) might result in a hardware reboot.

That said, I have an Intuvia, and I couldn't find any such thing. I was also surprised to see that the config menu doesn't show a firmware version either - this would help differentiate between devices that are susceptible to this problem and devices that are not. I guess this is only available to dealers with the appropriate USB cable and computer software.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Shades of BMW cars...

"Bring it back to our main dealer, Sir" Accompanied by the sound of many £50 notes rustling :(

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just leave the Intuvia on. When the battery is flat it will reset. Simple..
There's no rest button on the Intuvia. That tiny hole is for the mounting screw to hold it fixed in place.

We can reset it using dealer diagnostics. But it is not needed if you run the internal battery flat on the head unit.

Don't forget to give it a recharge once back up and running by using a USB between the Intuvia and a power USB socket.

Regards
Martin

Reactions: RobF

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
Nice, when you want to ride home at night: no light, no motor. OK, I will sleep next to my bike (for a few days and nights?) untill my Inuvia battery eventually runs flat. Most of your answers are very helpfull Martin, but this solution is crap. Bosch Intuvia should have a reset button.

Reactions: Wicky

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Same with watches and clock stuff.. Damned annoying!!

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Is the dealer diagnostics via USB to the display, or to something elsewhere on the bike? Does it require extra hardware, like a dongle?

Assuming no extra hardware is required, it should not be beyond the e-bike community to get a copy of the driver software for Bosch diagnostics, and to work out how to do useful stuff (send a reset signal, for example).

I tried plugging in my Intuvia into my laptop and tried seeing if anything popped up on the USB interface - not a sausage.

I completely agree that this is something one should not have to visit a dealer for - there's reset buttons on all manner of electronic products.

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
You definitely need a dongle and the Bosch software to link to the Intuvia and motor (most params are stored in the motor, not the Intuvia).
A dealer can buy a diagnostics kit but only if he followed Bosch courses.
It's one of the best kept secrets by Bosch.
Even in Germany many private persons have tried to get hold of a diagnostics kit but by my knowledge, no one succeeded.

Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop