Intuvia without reset button

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
You can download the software and obtain a cable. But the whole set up is locked down by the use of a dongle key.

It would be havoc if the public could access the motor via diagnostics. You can quite easily mess everything up.

Anyway I know I keep coming back to the point... BUt if you buy from a dealer you don't need to get involved in all of this, the dealer does it for you :)

They are also adequately trained to use the diagnostics.

Martin

D

Deleted member 4366

You can download the software and obtain a cable. But the whole set up is locked down by the use of a dongle key.

It would be havoc if the public could access the motor via diagnostics. You can quite easily mess everything up.

Anyway I know I keep coming back to the point... BUt if you buy from a dealer you don't need to get involved in all of this, the dealer does it for you :)

They are also adequately trained to use the diagnostics.

Martin
That's great for anybody that buys a new bike, but what about the second-hand market? What will happen when these bikes are 5 years old and changed hands a couple of times? If you don't have a Bosch dealer nearby, it's going to work out very expensive, and how much will they charge to fix it if you're lucky enough to be able to get to one?

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Indeed, but a cut down version could be implemented that gives access to stuff that won't break. I come back to the whole point, that customers who are not techno-numpties should be trusted to reboot their device.

I'm a technologist myself (software engineer) and one of my tenets I try to stick to when buying something is: "can I use this in whatever way I want?". Often with electronic devices, the answer is no: there's copy protection on a TV system, or (misapplied) legal directives that prevent me from reconfiguring a DVD drive, or - as here - a missing feature cannot even be remedied through a simple USB interface without (deliberately withheld) hardware.

This has become an ideological battle between product manufacturers who lock customers out of the products those customers have paid for -- the customer is thus relegated to the role of passive consumer. Interestingly, building open devices (e.g. Raspberry Pi computers, hackable internet routers and the like) encourages a community of customisers and mod-builders, working for free. Manufacturers have to be (and often are) crazy to ignore the benefits.

This is sometimes known as "the freedom to tinker".

Reactions: wissy

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
I can see both sides of this argument.

Whilst I respect the right of the consumer to do whatever they like with their own products I'm sure we've all seen in all our various trades & professions what happens when those without sufficient knowledge start to 'tinker'.

Often it's twice the effort to rectify what tinkerers have done wrong over the effort that would have taken to do the job properly in the first place.

The other thing that I also often observe its that there are many 'tinkerers' who will then expect the dealers / manufacturers to put right their errors & often shout loudest when the dealers / manufacturers don't bend over backwards to help them .............. & do it all for free!

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
But as somebody else asked what does happen if you buy a Bosch bike second hand and say from other part of the UK? You cannot go to dealer (assuming you know who it was).. What then? Not everybody will provide a repair service to pedelecs they did not sell... So what then and what if you need spare part from Bosch?

PeterT

Just Joined
Sep 3, 2014
Firstly, thank you for this thread, I've been looking for information on this.
It came up within a couple of searches for intuvia reset

This happened to me here in Sydney on a howling windy day when I needed to get 20kms to pickup my kids from after-school
The Bike shop and distributor all saying first time it happened, bring it in, which maybe true for Australia, but pretty poor considering this issue is known to have occurred elsewhere.

It was on a Gazelle, considering the defect/fault renders the product unable to perform as sold, AND leaves the lighting system of the bike un-operational , ie illegal and unsafe for use after hours , Bosch and their dealers should take a very, very serious view to providing a feasible solution other than 'bring it in' for essentially what is a reset.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
This is why I think that all the Bosch etc. bikes are utter rubbish.
Eddio the Kraut used to insult my Tonaro with its so simple system. But I cannot physically get these problems.
I have just serviced my 30 year old Mariner outboard. Simple, no complications. I own it and am therefore King and Commander of it, not Mariner.
Not the same with Bosch.

Reactions: Deleted member 4366

Phil Gurr

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 10, 2014
Just had this happen to me! I had the old 'this is the first time this has happened' from the dealer as well. I asked for a new unit to be sent but they said that they would have to programme the unit onto the bike. Not true, thanks for the info Martin. A new unit can simply be programmed by fitting it to the bike and the electronics in unit will re-programme the display. Same as running the battery out, you have to set the time and the units etc.
Basically we are shafted, the unit has an intermittent design fault, I suspect if we can return them SOME dealers will simply reset them by letting them go flat and return them. And anyway we will be without a bike for a week while this happens.
I love the bike, and the Bosch drive, it suits me fine so...
I've just bitten the bullet and ordered a spare unit, I'll carry two in future as I've bought the bike to overcome the steep hills in Devon and do a decent distance in a day. If I can't rely on getting home (or have to wait 24hours by the side of the road) what the hell use are they?
Has anyone tried a direct approach to Bosch?

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just had this happen to me! I had the old 'this is the first time this has happened' from the dealer as well. I asked for a new unit to be sent but they said that they would have to programme the unit onto the bike. Not true, thanks for the info Martin. A new unit can simply be programmed by fitting it to the bike and the electronics in unit will re-programme the display. Same as running the battery out, you have to set the time and the units etc.
Basically we are shafted, the unit has an intermittent design fault, I suspect if we can return them SOME dealers will simply reset them by letting them go flat and return them. And anyway we will be without a bike for a week while this happens.
I love the bike, and the Bosch drive, it suits me fine so...
I've just bitten the bullet and ordered a spare unit, I'll carry two in future as I've bought the bike to overcome the steep hills in Devon and do a decent distance in a day. If I can't rely on getting home (or have to wait 24hours by the side of the road) what the hell use are they?
Hi Phil,

I've just bitten the bullet and ordered a spare unit, I'll carry two in future as I've bought the bike to overcome the steep hills in Devon and do a decent distance in a day.
New head unit should be with you tomorrow.
Even set the time and mph for you :)

Make sure to recharge the other headunit back up once the battery has drained.

I am actually meeting with Bosch directly tomorrow so will discuss this with them and come back with an answer later int he week.

Basically we are shafted, the unit has an intermittent design fault
To be fair out of the 1000's of Bosch eBikes we sell, this has only come up a couple of times, so its pretty rare. It appears a few have been recent so maybe an issue when the unit gets cold? Who knows.. Ill find out.

Just had this happen to me! I had the old 'this is the first time this has happened' from the dealer as well. I asked for a new unit to be sent but they said that they would have to programme the unit onto the bike.
As for the above dealer mentioned... Utter B*llocks.. Sounds like they didn't know what to do, other wise they could talk you through the reset over the phone.

JAnd anyway we will be without a bike for a week while this happens.
Thats why I carry a full supply of spares, for my eBike customers. :)

Martin

Phil Gurr

Nov 10, 2014
Interesting what you say about temperature, yes it was cold! I snapped it on, it turned on for 5 sec and the got locked in the 'shutting down' screen. FYI after discharging it, starting it up again took a while. All it displayed on attaching was an empty battery symbol.
Anyway, be interesting to hear what Bosch say.
My dealer did, after I found this thread, ring me with the correct reset info... Letting it run down. And they did acknowledge they were incorrect in telling me that programming a new display was a dealer only task. Sods law, I'll probably never need the spare unit!

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
My lock up and what I read on the German forum; it happened when it was warm.
What did Bosch say to German questions about the missing reset button?
The lock up happens very rarely (not so true) and we did not put a reset button on Intuvia because people tend to push it when not needed and then disturb the dealers with a reset unit to put it back OK (??!)

Sp00k

Apr 22, 2014
Got a bit different problem here that is getting worse with time. The glitch was always appearing when you roll without pedalling for some time and then when you continue to pedal the power is just gone. Display shows no errors, there is just no juice (power bars). It was easy to fix by simply shutting it down and up while riding and the power was back on.
Though it got worse with time. Even 5-8 such resets were not helping, power was just not there.
Today it got even worse, after some attempts of such resets the power when back on and was just randomly turning off and on, which really pissed me off when working on some hard climb.
Anybody has such issues with Bosch?
I'm sending bike back to Haibike anyway to fix numerous issues with it just not sure how to explain them the issues I have with power. Such glitch can happen once in 30-40km and I doubt they gonna try very hard to reproduce the problem and will just send the bike back with same issues.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The problem I had of the display lighting up the the numbers being absent was the display unit not engaging correctly in the holder. I found snapping it into the display holder then pulling it back out (without holding down the release lever) seems to have solved it, so far anyway. I have done a few hundred miles with it remaining in working condition and therefore, I would think the tooling isn't as good as it should be and so the plastic mouldings don't fit together as intended.

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
Got a bit different problem here that is getting worse with time. The glitch was always appearing when you roll without pedalling for some time and then when you continue to pedal the power is just gone. Display shows no errors, there is just no juice (power bars). It was easy to fix by simply shutting it down and up while riding and the power was back on.
Though it got worse with time. Even 5-8 such resets were not helping, power was just not there.
Today it got even worse, after some attempts of such resets the power when back on and was just randomly turning off and on, which really pissed me off when working on some hard climb.
Anybody has such issues with Bosch?
I'm sending bike back to Haibike anyway to fix numerous issues with it just not sure how to explain them the issues I have with power. Such glitch can happen once in 30-40km and I doubt they gonna try very hard to reproduce the problem and will just send the bike back with same issues.
That sounds like the 1:1 gearing problem.
I had it after putting the Badass tuning on; front sprocket an 18. 18 x 2,5 (Bosch gearing) = 45. The dongle divides by 3, so 45/3 = 15. When I shifted on the rear to the 15 I got the 1:1 and then the Bosch motor stopped working (working sometimes for a few seconds an then stopping again).
This is exactly the phenomen you describe.
Badass sent me a replacement dongle that did a division by 5 and the problem was solved.
But it can happen without a dongle (experiences on German forum).
And some motors get the problem even when the gearing is 1:0,98 ...

But as somebody else asked what does happen if you buy a Bosch bike second hand and say from other part of the UK? You cannot go to dealer (assuming you know who it was).. What then? Not everybody will provide a repair service to pedelecs they did not sell... So what then and what if you need spare part from Bosch?
Wissy, you keep asking about this. I still don't understand why you think dealers won't help you? The number of eBike dealers and Bosch trained centres is growing. We're about to open another one in North Wales we hope very near Conwy. If you walk into any of the newly trained Bosch dealer they will order you a part no problem.

I have a Mazda car, it wasn't new. It had a computer problem so I just contacted a local garage, they plugged it in, order the part needed and charged me for the work. Its the same with a Bosch bike, its a simple process.

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
I should have a new firmware update available in approx 2 weeks that will solve the 'Shutting Down' freezing problem.

Martin
Martin,
I have asked my dealer about software updates and they can't help me - should have bought the bike from you as they seem to have too little business to provide the service - but, any suggestions about how to get hold of an update?

Last edited:

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
We are talking about bikes here - one of the simplest and most efficient machines ever devised. We have stuck an electric motor on it to make cycling a bit easier. Why do we need to complicate matters with dongles and factory reset routines? With cars, electronics have made them more efficient, so we can forgive the fact that home servicing is very difficult. With bikes the reverse is true. If your electronics stop the motor you are now told to either wait 24 hours whist the backup battery flattens or take to a dealer with suitable equipment. No thanks, I'll stick to my simple crude but reliable hub motor.