Is £800 enough money to spend on an everyday ride to work bike.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I came into Ebiking for absolutely no cost by swopping a ten year old Honda 125cc scooter for a two year old Viking Eco stepper, one of the cheapest of the cheap.
I also own a Brompton, and was surprised to find the quality of this cheapo Ebike was far better than I expected and in fact once I had sorted out a couple of problems, such as a dicky on off switch and a PAS sensor that is badly placed to get wet under the bottom bracket.
I also fitted full mudguards rather than the joke items it came with, but none of these items represented a large expense.
The tyres were as people pointed out prone to punctures, and i have upgraded them to Schwalbe Marathon pluses, otherwise the biggest drawback of a bike like this is due to them seeming to be unable to understand that a "Folder" should actually be smaller and stable when folded.
(Hence I am having a Sparticle kit fitted to the Brompton)
But otherwise the Viking is far better equipped technically and quality wise that the bikes I used to ride to work and tour on in the 1950's and 1960's.
It has now given 1,000 miles of quite effective service.
price seems to be around £400-£500

Reactions: Fingers and trex

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
this is the newest woosh BPM bike for £799 (with 15AH battery, £749 with 13AH battery):

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana2

woosh commented on their facebook page yesterday that prices will go up from 1st April due to the drop in the value of the Pound. They say the Pound bought $1.53 in 2015 and $1.43 now. That's 6.5% drop in value. I expect other suppliers will also put their prices up too.

How can they call 24kg lightweight? There are tanks lighter than that.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
@Fingers - 24kgs - that the typical weight for a fully equipped bike for all weather riding, with suspension fork, lights, bell, mudguards, propstand, rack etc
The Kalkhoff Agattu bikes with similar battery size weigh about the same, between 22kgs and 25kgs including battery.
http://www.50cycles.com/frequently-asked-questions.html

You could easily save 2kgs by having a rigid fork instead of suspension fork and another 0.9kg by replacing the well padded, well spung 1.2kg comfort saddle with a 300g sport saddle.

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ and flecc

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
If it had not been for Woosh supplying a Santana at £625, I probably would still be pedalling to work with aching hips etc. I did 5000 miles in two years, with two new tyres and some brake pads/blocks. The chain was original when I sold the bike for £120, and it's still being used. (One new spoke in rear wheel). While £800 may not seem much to some people, there are people in the UK struggling to keep a roof over their heads, and needing transport to get to work to pay for that roof.
Consider the cost when there are two of you wishing to ride together! 2 x £800 = £1600 and that's the amount I've paid for most of my cars!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The Gtech finally arrived today. First impression was the frame was a bit chunkier than I expected and the welding of the joints a bit agricultural to say the least. But. It's still the most 'normal' looking Ebike I've seen and the rest of the features such as the chain, handlebars saddle etc really do seem of a decent spec. The mudguards, helmet and lights also seem of a very high design quality, clearly tailor made for the bike. The lights in particular are excellent. It's actually made in Taiwan not China. Isn't that where all the Giant bikes are made?

Took it for a very short initial spin after a pretty straightforward set up. I wasn't completely blown away. It was good compared to a normal bike but not quite the power assist I was expecting. I have bought the bike to get me fitter so I wasn't totally dispirited but did come back home and found myself looking at the momentum upstart on Ebikes direct...(btw, they are selling a Freego Raptor on there for £399 if anyone is interested)

After a better set up, properly fixing the brakes, putting on the lights, setting the saddle etc and consulting the manual I realised I had been cycling on the weaker power assist mode....ahem....So I went out again. This time in driving rain and wind. It was a much better experience. From a standing start it's raring to go and the acceleration is more than acceptable to me. As a free running machine it really pops. Going downhill and on the flat it's a greyhound. Going uphill it's not amazing. A short medium (London medium, not Yorkshire dales medium) steeped hill was ok but I had to work. Tbh this is fine with me as I want to get fit but I need to check it out properly on a longer hill tomorrow to see if it's fit for purpose.

Initial appraisal. I love it. The motor is almost silent, it really does feel a lovely bit of kit. I need to use it more in anger before I decide to keep it though.

Will come back when I've properly tested the range and power assist.
Fingers....what concerns me is that you have no benchmark to compare it with....please go find a BPM motored e-bike. These low powered lightweight,short range e-bikes are for the city slicker riding 5 miles into the square mile in his Paul Smith suit but riding in the dales a light non electric bike might be a better choice or a more powerful e-bike.
KudosDave

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Consider the cost when there are two of you wishing to ride together! 2 x £800 = £1600 and that's the amount I've paid for most of my cars!
Plus insurance, plus MOT, plus parking fees, plus petrol at £xxx / gal., plus upkeep, plus... :eek: :rolleyes:

Reactions: Emo Rider

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Plus comfort, plus weather protection, plus heating and air conditioning, plus extensive safety protection, plus wear any normal clothing, plus companionship and conversation, plus entertainment, plus privacy. :p
And no one accuses you of cheating:)
Dave.

Reactions: Emo Rider and flecc

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
You could easily save 2kgs by having a rigid fork instead of suspension fork and another 0.9kg by replacing the well padded, well sprung 1.2kg comfort saddle with a 300g sport saddle.
For the last year or more, my suspension fork has been locked and it doesn't take long to become accustomed to the change in ride comfort. With biggish tyres, the ride isn't as harsh as it is on skinny road bike rims.

Again, the saddle is interesting as some are quite heavy without actually providing any more ride comfort than some of the sporty models.

Anyone who can live with these kinds of changes can reduce the bike weight by 2.5kgs, give or take, and that does make a difference on the heavier EAPCs. Reducing body weight, of course, is win-win......if you can manage it! I can't seem to do that trick any more.:(

Tom

Reactions: flecc and JuicyBike

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Plus insurance, plus MOT, plus parking fees, plus petrol at £xxx / gal., plus upkeep, plus... :eek: :rolleyes:
Very true - but consider the other facts - probably able to undertake journeys of several hundred miles, complete with family, camping gear, canoe, luggage and so on: probably able to protect occupants from severe weather conditions (must say that not all my cars were able to do all these tasks!) Also, ebikes are not free from long term expense: consider the cost of replacement batteries - some are very expensive!

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
for me, not having to drive round and round looking for a parking space is priceless.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
for me, not having to drive round and round looking for a parking space is priceless.
I don't have this problem, despite living in a London Borough. I've just organised my life and its destinations to where parking is always available, almost always free. I've found that surprisingly easy to do over the last twenty plus years.

I still see people struggling to find parking places as I drive just beyond and park easily.

Equally at home I park in my garage while seeing others in struggles for a street parking space. That's because their garages are cluttered with old furniture etc they'll probably never use, or they've neglected them and they leak and have rotten roof timbers.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I don't have this problem, despite living in a London Borough. I've just organised my life and its destinations to where parking is always available, almost always free. I've found that surprisingly easy to do over the last twenty plus years.

I still see people struggling to find parking places as I drive just beyond and park easily.

Equally at home I park in my garage while seeing others in struggles for a street parking space. That's because their garages are cluttered with old furniture etc they'll probably never use, or they've neglected them and they leak and have rotten roof timbers.
Or maybe full of ebikes and etrikes like ours is!

Reactions: flecc

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
So I've now used it on a fairly long cycle Sunday morning. About 14 miles or so. It was very windy and hilly for London. It was a dream and more importantly I only barely used 2 power bars.

I'm working nights this week so I did my first commute last night and this morning. Again it was totally fit for purpose and on a full charge of 4 bars it only clicked onto the second bar as I literally entered my hallway this morning. So battery wise it seems to tick the box. The AA route planner says my journey is 6.1miles each way, factor in wind and hills maybe their 30m range claim isn't *******. Add on my 16 1/2 stone plus work bag adding another stone at least and the results are pretty strong.

The power assist is again, perfect for me. On my first trip I was concerned that there wasn't enough oomph. There is and I reckon once the novelty wears off I will be using the lighter assist function.

I am quite sure this wouldn't have enough power for a lot of you guys and gals on here but my parameters are probably quite different. This actively feels like it is encouraging you to cycle but also you can coast along quite easily if you wish.

Something else that has impressed me about the bike is the carbon belt chain. I've never felt so confident about standing up on the pedals on the steep section of hills and blasting it. It's so taut and responsive and you know it isn't going to slip on the derailleur and smash your bread basket onto the handlebar stem. I was concerned bout this and the single gear but it has surprised me in its efficiency.

If you want an Ebike for the city which will allow you some proper excercise,
Looks good, very easy to use but gives you that all important boost with wind and London hills I would recommend this bike. It has been designed well And so far the range seems consistent with its claims.

I'm no expert on these things clearly but I am very happy with my purchase and I am looking forward to going to work on it tonight. Can't say more than that really.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I'm no expert on these things clearly but I am very happy with my purchase and I am looking forward to going to work on it tonight. Can't say more than that really.
That's the only important thing when buying an ebike. If you're happy and like it, then it's the bike for you. :)

Mrke

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2013
Yes my new models are all targeted at the UK preferred maximum price point of £1000,one is £695.00-a unique bike but not released until April/May,no further info at the moment.
KudosDave
Any news to share on the new range as yet Dave?

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
My recent commuting foray in London was an eye opener for me. I took the plunge and bought a secondhand (barely used) Kudos Secret, fitted with a larger 56t chainring. Commuting from Ealing to Holborn (about 9 miles, depending on route) was a breeze for me and I'm spectacularly unfit. Took about 50 minutes, quickest was 45 but I was a bit knackered after that (going home so didn't matter) but going in was great - just enough to feel like I'd done some exercise but not too much to be sitting in the office all hot & sweaty. The Secret proved more than up to the task, made better by the addition of a Lidl special saddle and the Ergon grips off my old Dahon. My only problem would have been if I had to fold it every time and store in the office - it's do-able, and easy enough, but a bit larger than the folder (non-electric) I had before - a bit more of an effort to get through gates etc. and hump around the place. Fortunately I had access to a bike store so used that. Range was fine - easily enough for a couple of days (bit low coming back on the second day) so charged every night. So yes, an £800 bike is well up to the task IMHO...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My commute bike/town/errand bike is a conversion originally had a BBS01 on it now on a mtb, bike new was a Norco hybrid £360 and is now fitted with a £425 bpm kit so for about £800 yes. I use my 4 e bikes so much now that in the last year my car only had 900 miles put on the clock.

cyberdyne_systems

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
Surrey
This is an interesting thread, as a new member and having never owned an e bike, I am in a similar situation of, seeing the price point as quite high, and not wanting to invest too much until I know how i'd get on commuting on one.

I'd also looked at the CTW scheme, the only thing I don't like about that is the way the system is set up to find the dealer/shop, not the bike. For instance I rather like the Woosh Karoo, but Woosh don't deal with the Cyclescheme agency my company uses.

Anyhow, I think like many I'll either find a bike I can get through the CTW scheme, or if I purchase outright, still around the value discussed here.

Reactions: Scott clarke