Is the Alien Aurora a beast as Jim at Alien says???

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I realise I'm coming to this thread a little while after you last posted but I was looking at one of these alien auroras today. I have a question for you if I may. Is it noisy when riding? Also, now you've had it for a wee while. Is it still as good as your first imprsssions?
It is noisier than any of my other bikes although my front wheel kit is starting to get close.

Still as impressed as I was at first. Apart from the power I really do think it`s a very good bike.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Great report

Hows the kit standing up to long term use?

Hiya Stumpi

The (last years)kit is still just as it was and in so many ways because it is on my old MTB it really is so nice to ride around.Even with that Oxygen polymer battery slung under the cross bar it is just so light and manageable.
This years kit is maybe just a touch more quiet and maybe just a touch less powerful (about 2 mph on the flat on full throttle) but the disk brake on the front is nice.

subevo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2007
hi i was thinking of getting one of these bikes also.just wondering what the alternatives are at the moment.as £995 is a lot.can this performance be done cheaper by a kit.

ive had to outrun a few neds throwing stones etc so the extra speed would be handy.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Tweaking an Aurora. I've just got one. Hooray!

I'm 5'8" and take 31" inside leg jeans. I couldn't get the suspension seat post low enough so swapped it for a standard one. Now I've got about 2cm adjustment left and I can touch tip toes on both sides. That's with a straight leg to a heel on the pedals which works for me. I've also moved the quill stem as low as it will go. So although the bike works for tall people it also works for shorter people. If you don't mind a bit of a reach to the bars, then I figure it should be fine for people down to 5'6"

As delivered the rack is quite high on the adjustment. I've drilled another set of adjustment holes, turned the links at the front upside down and added a 3mm spacer to the left side so the brake cable is not trapped. The rack and battery are as far forward as they will go on the front link adjustment. That must have dropped the battery weight 5cm at least and about 5cm forwards. There would be plenty of room to move the controller and battery another 5-10cm forwards but that would mean remaking the rack and rewelding the plate between them which is beyond me. I think Alien need to address this as the lower and further forwards the weight is, the less noticeable it is in terms of handling.

I've been working round the bike, removing rattles! The worst is of course the battery in the rack. Some small bits of old inner tube and tape where the battery is closest to the rack helped. That's the two side tubes and the rear most cross tube. The worst though is the front-back rattle over bumps because the lock pin is not a tight fit in the locating hole. Some soft foam on the front of the battery has helped.

I spent a lot of time routing and tidying cables. Long term I'd really like to see all the controller to handlebar cables use a single multi-core with a much smaller splitter that can be attached close up to the handlebars. There's more work to be done here turning it into a motorcycle style wiring loom. Making the handlebar slack in the two gear cables equal has tidied it up considerably.

As a motorcyclist I really don't like the pedelec at all. And with the Aurora's power, the transition from off to on is too much. I'm pretty sure I'm going to remove the pedlec completely and the pedelec-throttle switch. I'll leave that one for a few weeks.

I'm not used to disk brakes. Setting them up has been a proper PITA. I've greased both sliding pins and adjusted them for minimum dragging noise and I'm getting close. Hopefully they'll bed in with some use. There's more runout on the disks than I'd like but hopefully that will also sort itself out as they're quite bendy.

Overall, I'm blown away by this bike. It's awesome (says a happy new owner).

More later.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Tweaking an Aurora. I've just got one. Hooray!

I'm 5'8" and take 31" inside leg jeans. I couldn't get the suspension seat post low enough so swapped it for a standard one. Now I've got about 2cm adjustment left and I can touch tip toes on both sides. That's with a straight leg to a heel on the pedals which works for me. I've also moved the quill stem as low as it will go. So although the bike works for tall people it also works for shorter people. If you don't mind a bit of a reach to the bars, then I figure it should be fine for people down to 5'6"

As delivered the rack is quite high on the adjustment. I've drilled another set of adjustment holes, turned the links at the front upside down and added a 3mm spacer to the left side so the brake cable is not trapped. The rack and battery are as far forward as they will go on the front link adjustment. That must have dropped the battery weight 5cm at least and about 5cm forwards. There would be plenty of room to move the controller and battery another 5-10cm forwards but that would mean remaking the rack and rewelding the plate between them which is beyond me. I think Alien need to address this as the lower and further forwards the weight is, the less noticeable it is in terms of handling.

I've been working round the bike, removing rattles! The worst is of course the battery in the rack. Some small bits of old inner tube and tape where the battery is closest to the rack helped. That's the two side tubes and the rear most cross tube. The worst though is the front-back rattle over bumps because the lock pin is not a tight fit in the locating hole. Some soft foam on the front of the battery has helped.

I spent a lot of time routing and tidying cables. Long term I'd really like to see all the controller to handlebar cables use a single multi-core with a much smaller splitter that can be attached close up to the handlebars. There's more work to be done here turning it into a motorcycle style wiring loom. Making the handlebar slack in the two gear cables equal has tidied it up considerably.

As a motorcyclist I really don't like the pedelec at all. And with the Aurora's power, the transition from off to on is too much. I'm pretty sure I'm going to remove the pedlec completely and the pedelec-throttle switch. I'll leave that one for a few weeks.

I'm not used to disk brakes. Setting them up has been a proper PITA. I've greased both sliding pins and adjusted them for minimum dragging noise and I'm getting close. Hopefully they'll bed in with some use. There's more runout on the disks than I'd like but hopefully that will also sort itself out as they're quite bendy.

Overall, I'm blown away by this bike. It's awesome (says a happy new owner).

More later.

I must say that mine came pretty tidy with cables and the disks are very true and positive.Instead of rubber wedges ect to keep the battery quiet I found that wrapping a bungie around the rear bottom of the battery and the top of the rack and pulling tight has silenced it.

I`ve removed the triple chainring and fitted a new ali double (55T + 42T) I really only put the 42 as packing cos with that low bottom gear and the power you don`t need more than one chainring. I put a front pannier rack on with a pair of old small panniers that I put some tools in to balance the weight and with the second battery under the crossbar it rides very nicely.

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
hi i was thinking of getting one of these bikes also.just wondering what the alternatives are at the moment.as £995 is a lot.can this performance be done cheaper by a kit.

ive had to outrun a few neds throwing stones etc so the extra speed would be handy.
I ordered one of these kits as a cheap project. It has just arrived through uk customs with no additional charge's after 7 weeks at sea. I'm not entirely sure what I will get because I've asked for a black wheel and pedelec sensors which aren't shown. I don't expect much for £165.00 incl post but may be pleasantly surprised. If I never mention it again you know it's crap and if I contact you from the other side you'll know the power was awesome and I couldn't control it.

Electric bicycle Rear kit 36v 500W for 26 inch bicycles on eBay (end time 07-Oct-10 04:23:56 BST)

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I order one of these kits as a cheap project. It has just arrived through uk customs with no charge's after 7 weeks at sea. I'm not entirely sure what I will get because I've asked for a black wheel and pedelec sensors which aren't shown. I don't expect much for £165.00 incl post but may be pleasantly surprised. If I never mention it again you know it's crap and if I contact you from the other side you'll know the power was awesome and I couldn't control it.

Electric bicycle Rear kit 36v 500W for 26 inch bicycles on eBay (end time 07-Oct-10 04:23:56 BST)

Can`t see any feedback for this motor:eek: at that price it`s probably the picture you`ve bought:D
When they say "it will do 30mph" that`s when folded up in your pocket on a bus:D

Now you are going to prove us all wrong and it will be a blinder.

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Can`t see any feedback for this motor:eek: at that price it`s probably the picture you`ve bought:D
When they say "it will do 30mph" that`s when folded up in your pocket on a bus:D

Now you are going to prove us all wrong and it will be a blinder.
Prove us all wrong? No one else has commented so I must assume you've been nominated forum spokesperson. Not long to wait, it will be here later today and I'm expecting to be pretty disappointed.

Last edited:

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Prove us all wrong? No one else has commented so I must assume you've been nominated forum spokesperson. Not long to wait, it will be here later today and I'm expecting to be pretty disappointed.
Well, it arrived and I've mixed feelings. I didn't get a black wheel as requested but did get pedelec sensor and magnet disc. The motor is big and black/silver in colour, 6sp freewheel and weigh's 8kg without tyre and tube.
The controller is black and bigger than expected. Brake lever's are pretty standard with cutout switches fitted. All connections except battery are fitted. Box was in pretty poor shape from shipping and I'm amazed only one nut was missing from a brake lever fixing. My main concern is the hub, its approx 2ins wide where spoke's fit through either side, although spoke's are pretty heavy duty. That's about it.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
8Kg! Sounds like the first kit I bought, have they dished the wheel so as the rim is central? I had to do this myself on my first kit....

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
8Kg! Sounds like the first kit I bought, have they dished the wheel so as the rim is central? I had to do this myself on my first kit....
It looks pretty central and both side's of hub are threaded, I presume thats for some kind of disk brake assembly on the left? Cable also exits on left.
Fork's will need to be approx 160mm apart. I notice several spoke's will need a little tightening. Pretty easy fit by the look of things.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Is the throttle power dependent on the mode selected. For example is the top speed on low power the same as high power using the throttle only?
It's really quite hard to tell. First reaction is that the three modes vary the power output and also a limit on top speed. But actually I think for the same effort on the pedals in 7th, you get about 12mph, 16mph and somewhere around 23mph on the flat. I've found bridlepath riding best in Low mode. Medium is fine for cruising at a steady and easy 15mph on the road. The best bit for someone new to pedelecs is that you can maintain that speed regardless of changes in gradient.

I was initially sceptical about the pedelec. You do have to be aware of a surge when you start pedalling and a short delay when you stop. I found it best to stick to throttle on rough surfaces and starting, switching to pedelec for something like a cruise control. Until you're used to it and expecting it, it can catch you out.

I'm a little disappointed in the range. I got 22 miles today on a mix of road and offroad. Maybe I'm just being too lazy and not putting enough effort in. Or maybe riding perhaps a 1/4 of that on rough surfaces (even on low) is sapping the power.

The weight is really not a problem except for two circumstances; Climbing hills when the battery is used up (!) and styles. Kissing gates are fine as long as there's room to get the bike on it's back wheel. But styles are a serious challenge. And yes. Not only am I riding illegally on the roads, I'm riding illegally on footpaths. So sue me!

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
I`ve removed the triple chainring and fitted a new ali double (55T + 42T) I really only put the 42 as packing cos with that low bottom gear and the power you don`t need more than one chainring.
I would not want to haul all that weight up a hill that required the smallest chainring and biggest rear sprocket. So I think this is right. A double chainring would be fine on the front and I'd echo the need for a 52 upwards on the front. I spent a lot of time in top gear today. True off road was typically in 2nd or 3rd. On road 5th or 7th all on the 48T front.

I'm not finding it noisy at all. There's more noise from the rubbing front disk than the motor! I think I have finally understood the adjustment on the disks and got rid of the noise but actually I think I'd rather have V-Brakes.

Old Timer, what pressure do you run the tyres and are they the oem Cheng Shins?

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I would not want to haul all that weight up a hill that required the smallest chainring and biggest rear sprocket. So I think this is right. A double chainring would be fine on the front and I'd echo the need for a 52 upwards on the front. I spent a lot of time in top gear today. True off road was typically in 2nd or 3rd. On road 5th or 7th all on the 48T front.

I'm not finding it noisy at all. There's more noise from the rubbing front disk than the motor! I think I have finally understood the adjustment on the disks and got rid of the noise but actually I think I'd rather have V-Brakes.

Old Timer, what pressure do you run the tyres and are they the oem Cheng Shins?
I run 55-60 psi and that is the tyre. From memory they are puncture resistant and although I have Marathons ready to go on I`m testing them out and around my area with all the thorns and flint they are so far (touch wood) doing OK.

I did another run today to try out the 55T chainring and found In med power I was using mainly 5th and 6th. 7th would only really come in using high power.
With regards the brakes, now set up I really do find them very progressive with a good deal of feel.
With regards to range that is around what I`m finding on the supplied battery but you`ll notice from other threads I have fitted a 13Amp Li-Polymer under the crossbar for longer runs.
I really like the close ratio gears that change so sweetly ( keep imagining they are more expensive)

I was saying to another member the other day how I always switch to throttle when approaching a junction ect and then with the throttle open just pedal away and switch back over to pedelec whether I`ve let the throttle return or not and the transition is always silky smooth.

Well! I`m quite satisfied at present with 99% of the bike, the 1% was the very narrow centre stand that I have changed for a side stand(in fact because I`m often parking up on rough or softish ground and the rear is quite heavy I`ve fitted two side stands) one at the centre and one on the frame at the rear and they support the bike a treat. I keep meaning to try my wifes centre stand that is almost double the width on the feet but I think it might come close to the chain.

Dave

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Is the throttle power dependent on the mode selected. For example is the top speed on low power the same as high power using the throttle only?
I put the bike upside down yesterday and ran the motor briefly. The three power modes appear to be speed limited with no load. It's very noticeable that the wheel speed corresponds with what I felt in the saddle. That doesn't mean that low power doesn't help you when peddling flat out at 25mph on the flat but I suspect not. As to whether the power is also limited, I'm still not entirely sure. But I think acceleration is limited in the 2 lower modes compared with full power.

The controller is pretty damn good but if the above is true, it's not quite what I want. I'd rather have no speed limiting at all and have the mode control how much power is added. If I want to put lots of effort in and add only 50W that should be possible. Perhaps it is if you use the throttle to modulate it rather than the pedelec+mode.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
I had a look inside the cable splitter at the front of the bike. There's a small circuit board with very few components but there is a 2 switch DIP switch. Any ideas on what this does or is for? This is the cable splitter that takes the multi-wire cable from the controller and then breaks it into cables to the throttle, mode switch, brake levers.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
I'm not happy with the squeeks from the front disc. And no amount of adjustment of the cheap caliper can fix it. I'm currently considering two options.
- Upgrading the caliper to a more modern post mount.
- Fitting a V-Brake. My local bike shop claims that they can provide the screw in V-Brake posts for the suspension fork (10mm). Halfords should then be able to provide a cheap V-Brake set up. I'm assuming here that the levers suit V-Brakes as they're identical to levers used on Aliens and others with V-Brakes.
To my mind, brakes should be silent both when released and when being used. This is not always easy to achieve!

The rear disc seems to be less of a problem. Perhaps because the disc has less runout or perhaps simply because I can't hear it. Which is a good thing as
there's nowhere to fit a V-Brake.