Is the Alien Aurora a beast as Jim at Alien says???

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Original Tyres

Just out of interest to others, I removed the Aurora wheels today and removed the original tyres in readiness for the Marathon Plus Tour tyres that should arrive on Monday.

I thought I read somewhere that they were puncture resistent :confused: but they appear to be pretty standard Chinese made run of the mill jobs which surprises me as I have been pushing them over some pretty dodgy roads and they haven`t punctured but of course punctures with standard tyres around here are always on my mind so the change is well worth while.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Time to resurrect an old thread!

I've got the Marathon Tour Plus tyres on mine. On Fri night I had a rear puncture. I thought to start with it was some broken glass outside a high street Spa that I saw too late but when I had a good look, the rip in the tube was on the inside not the outside. I eventually found the cause which was a bit of swarf on the edge of one of the spoke holes. This had eventually worn through the rim tape and then ripped the tube.

So now I've gone over the whole rim with a tiny file and cleaned up all the machining, laid a strip of electrical tape, and then the rim tape on top of that. Should be an end to it. I found half a dozen places where there were burrs that had been painted over and might have caused a problem later.

I fitted an Avid BB7 front brake which is *lovely*. And put a drop of oil down the forks and behind the fork seals which has feed them up a bit. The only tweak I'm still working on is trying to get rid of the last rattles. There's a "ting" coming from somewhere that I can't trace. I've half an idea it's the cables inside the top tube that are rattling against the inside!

Love this bike. I'd like a touch less weight and a touch more range but it suits me so well.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks for the heads up JB. I found on the GSII the 'tape' was just a large rubber band which had a tendency to move about when the tyre was refitted so I replaced it with some sticky fabric based tape that stayed put....

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Time to resurrect an old thread!

I've got the Marathon Tour Plus tyres on mine. On Fri night I had a rear puncture. I thought to start with it was some broken glass outside a high street Spa that I saw too late but when I had a good look, the rip in the tube was on the inside not the outside. I eventually found the cause which was a bit of swarf on the edge of one of the spoke holes. This had eventually worn through the rim tape and then ripped the tube.

So now I've gone over the whole rim with a tiny file and cleaned up all the machining, laid a strip of electrical tape, and then the rim tape on top of that. Should be an end to it. I found half a dozen places where there were burrs that had been painted over and might have caused a problem later.

I fitted an Avid BB7 front brake which is *lovely*. And put a drop of oil down the forks and behind the fork seals which has feed them up a bit. The only tweak I'm still working on is trying to get rid of the last rattles. There's a "ting" coming from somewhere that I can't trace. I've half an idea it's the cables inside the top tube that are rattling against the inside!

Love this bike. I'd like a touch less weight and a touch more range but it suits me so well.
Yeh! I love mine as well. I think the weight makes it very stable when off road, I find it tends to just plough on:) As for range! well I`m getting enough range out of the supplied battery for my general run outs for a breath of fresh air that normally don`t go above 20 mile but I sling that Li-Polymer 13Amp battery under the cross bar for journeys like today where I plan a run to the coast with the guvna:D
I did have a ping kinda noise but pinned it down to a loose spoke:eek: