Is this the begining of the rise of the Machines?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
target shooting tho the farmers field is not going to cut it as need a section 1 licence.
http://www.fcsa.co.uk/

plus if the world goes to shite you got a big un ;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
When electronic auto change gearboxes first became available on heavy goods vehicles, it became apparent that vehicles driven by skilled drivers using the manual override option were more economic than those left on full auto, because the driver and not the truck could see ahead and adjust to suit the approaching conditions, gradient's, roadworks etc etc. Now with driverless trucks and cars, the technology has taken a great leap forward, but so will the "unfriendly" technology to upset. I recently watched a clip of US forces using multi millions of dollars worth of technology to "take out" a single Afghan sniper on foot armed with an obsolete bolt action rifle.
the technology may well be unfriendly to start with but the machines will quickly prove that they are more reliable, work 24 x 7 and cost essentially less for their owners thus will soon win any contest.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
the technology may well be unfriendly to start with but the machines will quickly prove that they are more reliable, work 24 x 7 and cost essentially less for their owners thus will soon win any contest.
Of course.
The current talk is of deciding a "guaranteed" wage for those who there will be no jobs for. This very same discussion appeared in the mid 1980's
Must go and watch maximum overdrive again. ;)

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Not wanting to be a Luddite, but maybe Ned had a point in 1811. Change is good, but it has to be managed *socially*. Such technology can increase income inequality if there is insufficient wealth redistribution.

An Air France Airbus crashed in 2009 because sensors froze, the autopilot couldn't cope, unfortunately neither could the pilots, they had forgotten how to get out of a stall after relying on automation for so long.

Recently a Tesla drivers fatal crash was put down to total reliance on the autopilot. Tensed up, wondering if the car will suddenly freak out, is not my idea of a relaxing drive.

On a lighter note, i see the new Huawei 10 fone has "AI built in". It "learns what you want to do". A bot in your pocket, the 'box' of 'Space Cops' is finally here, yay!

Merry xmas,
Mikel

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
With our bigger brains, we develop technology that will help us one day to spread out to other planets and broadcast our ways to other galaxies.
There is a sense in which I agree with this. We will spread machines to other planets outside of our own solar system, and broadcast to the universe

But not our physical selves. Time and distance are against us for much too far an extent and the objective not worthwhile.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But not our physical selves
that's why I worry about the possibility that technology may wipe out the humans by accident or design. Think of automatic weapon systems, DNA based medication, replacement of food that is based on growing plants or caring for animals etc.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
that's why I worry about the possibility that technology may wipe out the humans by accident or design. Think of automatic weapon systems, DNA based medication, replacement of food that is based on growing plants or caring for animals etc.
Indeed, I agree all of those are possible but still believe humans will survive them all. Not in large numbers perhaps, but our irrational biological natures will always produce some perverse reactions that the machines will not understand or even detect or realise possible.

We only have to look at society today worldwide and even locally to see the diversity of human non-conformity.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Indeed, I agree all of those are possible but still believe humans will survive them all. Not in large numbers perhaps, but our irrational biological natures will always produce some perverse reactions that the machines will not understand or even detect or realise possible.

We only have to look at society today worldwide and even locally to see the diversity of human non-conformity.
Agreed, but consider the op... the machine won by using never before seen strategic moves.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Agreed, but consider the op... the machine won by using never before seen strategic moves.
But they were rational, reached by superior ability.

I keep having to repeat this but it seems it's just not being grasped. It's our unpredictably irrational nature that can win simply because machines will never operate that way, their advance always being logical and rational. That means they cannot predict our next irrational move.

Many of our irrational reactions will lose, but some will win and ensure the survival of at least some of us.

I think people are too easily impressed with technological advance and get carried away by fantasy, all part of our irrational nature of course. We saw this in a recent thread linking to a talk on the progress of driverless cars and e-cars in general. What the speaker came out with was ludicrous beyond belief and I immediately ridiculed it with challenges. Yet he was supported by most members responding, obviously so carried away by his tempting predictions that they'd failed to engage their critical faculties.

We need to be more machine like in examination of our technological advances, disengaging our desires and critically analysing in a detached unemotional way.

Wishing something is true doesn't mean it is true or can become true.

• Agree
Reactions: SHAN

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All this is thought provoking but you dont take into account the unknown. One cant imagine the unimaginable.
The realm of fantasy of course, where people get easily carried away to.

Note, despite all the talk we haven't even achieved anything like AI yet and are not remotely close to it .

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Flecc ,.. have we not got our threads mixed up? Surely that comment belongs in the blessed B*******t one?.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc ,.. have we not got our threads mixed up? Surely that comment belongs in the blessed B*******t one?.
Indeed, though I think similar has already been expressed in there in many and various ways. :D

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
All this is thought provoking but you dont take into account the unknown. One cant imagine the unimaginable.
Donald Rumsfeld "knows".

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Have you seen Animatrix? A few short films where one describes how it started. The machines needs energy and we darkened the sky for them but instead they used us for energy. Very interesting.

(First Star Trek motion picture was also cool with Voyager there but I think it lacks in hardware to be real but cool idea)

Sent from my eBike through Tapatalk

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
The increase of artificial intelligence is inversely proportional to the intelligence of the majority of the populace. The more foolproof you make an automobile, the bigger the fool you get driving it. ;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I keep having to repeat this but it seems it's just not being grasped. It's our unpredictably irrational nature that can win simply because machines will never operate that way, their advance always being logical and rational. That means they cannot predict our next irrational move.
some of the programming techniques in use for AI is neural networks and deep learning. They imitate the way our neurons are connected and fired. They are capable of creating irrational moves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_learning

Advertisers