Is your pedelec legal? From CTC's cycle magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Most recently, we had the terminally boring saga of Cwah and his incredibly specific requirements of an ebike. The reality is that the law on ebikes simply doesn't provide for the kind of machine Cwah would like. He, of course, goes illegal and is aided in his quest by grown-ups in this forum who should know better. I'm afraid I just can't get my head around all this bragging about illegal machines and the encouragement for others to break the law while I read other postings about people who feel the need to attach cameras to their person to provide evidence of the misdemeanours of those nasty people who drive motor vehicles. I'm sure some of them are the same people.

It's all about power, speed.....oh, and double standards, is it not?

Indalo
Hey, my saga isn't boring. It will be an inspiration for the ever growing folding bike community (massive in london) and be part of the ebike expansion among mass public and city commuter!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hey, my saga isn't boring. It will be an inspiration for the ever growing folding bike community (massive in london) and be part of the ebike expansion among mass public and city commuter!

Well, I found it very interesting cwah......not that I particularly want an illegal bike but I dont mind reading about them.......all part of lifes rich tapestry .......read and learn I say, then make your own personal choice as long as prepared to face any possible consequences.

Lynda :)

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain

Ah, I see Cwah! So just let me get this right.....you see yourself as an inspiration to others in getting more people on to folding bikes in London? It sounds to me like you're trying to re-invent the wheel because a certain Mr Moulton, amongst others, made great efforts in that direction many years ago so I'm not quite sure how your effort is likely to further progress in the pursuit of ebike expansion for city commuters.

Frankly, I don't see a lot wrong with an off-the-peg Brompton for London commuting and if someone wants to add a little Tongxin motor to make pedalling even easier, that's fine. You could have done that in the first place had you simply asked for advice on ES or this forum. You, though, had a somewhat different agenda and by your own admission, were more than happy to break the law for your own selfish ends.

Indalo

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
while I read other postings about people who feel the need to attach cameras to their person to provide evidence of the misdemeanours of those nasty people who drive motor vehicles. I'm sure some of them are the same people.

Indalo
I am sure you have evidence for this statement?

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I am sure you have evidence for this statement?

If you bothered to look hard enough, you'd find several examples. If you want just one to start you off, look no further than D8veh's posts where he has informed readers on more than one occasion about his illegal builds yet also tells us recently that he has acquired a great camera for use while cycling.

Indalo

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
If you bothered to look hard enough, you'd find several examples. If you want just one to start you off, look no further than D8veh's posts where he has informed readers on more than one occasion about his illegal builds yet also tells us recently that he has acquired a great camera for use while cycling.

Indalo
I am sure D8veh's not a "nasty people who drive motor vehicles" because he has a camera but I expect you have evidence that he is too.

Last edited:

Riche

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2011
Most recently, we had the terminally boring saga of Cwah and his incredibly specific requirements of an ebike. The reality is that the law on ebikes simply doesn't provide for the kind of machine Cwah would like. He, of course, goes illegal and is aided in his quest by grown-ups in this forum who should know better. I'm afraid I just can't get my head around all this bragging about illegal machines and the encouragement for others to break the law while I read other postings about people who feel the need to attach cameras to their person to provide evidence of the misdemeanours of those nasty people who drive motor vehicles. I'm sure some of them are the same people.

It's all about power, speed.....oh, and double standards, is it not?

Indalo
So you dont like the use of cameras or what? When is it ok in your book to use a camera?

I wear a camera when I ride my electric bike or standard bike, its for my own protection as much as anything.. Yes it is does capture wrong doings by drivers but I get more pleasure filming some nice wildlife for the wife to view when I get home than anything else.. I also drive a car on average 20 miles a week. I am no saint behind the wheel but I do respect other road users which some of the footage I have shot clearly shows a lack of repect for others and in some cases is boardering on dangerous..

Putting the footage on Youtube/Pedelecs has led to some amusing and thoughtfull threads. Whats wrong with that? Seems to me you need to lighten up a tad.

On a side note, a label on a motor is meaningless.. Its more about the battery and controller/motor combination, you can buy a 200w 24v motor and put 36v into it and will go faster than its intended speed.. Yes it may run hotter etc, buts its easily done. Like wise if you have a 1000w/96v motor and only use a 24v battery does this make it legal?

Rich

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Like wise if you have a 1000w/96v motor and only use a 24v battery does this make it legal?
Strictly speaking, any change is illegal. The fact is that there is no legal provision for kits, self builds or modifications. The law says e-bikes must have a label prominently attached to the bike (not motor) stating the manufacturer, the battery voltage and the motor power rating. That for starters means that virtually every e-bike on the road in the UK currently is illegal.

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
Only ever been stopped once because my wife's wisper 806 alpino back light looks like a moped. And I had no helmet on, pc said you were going to fast for a pedal bike.
Had a go and said he wanted one

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
So you dont like the use of cameras or what? When is it ok in your book to use a camera?

Rich
I do wish people would read posts properly but I've been guilty of misunderstanding things too Rich when I've been glossing over reams of new material.

For the record, I have never said or indicated in any way that I can remember, that I don't like the use of cameras. My intent over a number of recent posts was to highlight the hypocrisy among some of our members here. The double standard to which I made reference occurs when people knowingly and wilfully ride illegal ebikes, thus breaking the law, yet equip themselves with head cams to record the infringements of others on the road. "Let he who be without sin.....etc"

Is that a fair point?

Indalo

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
Strictly speaking, any change is illegal. The fact is that there is no legal provision for kits, self builds or modifications. The law says e-bikes must have a label prominently attached to the bike (not motor) stating the manufacturer, the battery voltage and the motor power rating. That for starters means that virtually every e-bike on the road in the UK currently is illegal.
Hi Flecc,

As part of the work BEBA is doing with DFT we will cover legality of kits fitted to bikes. This should give the framework to build bikes which are recognised as legal on our roads :)
Thanks
Mark

Riche

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2011
I do wish people would read posts properly but I've been guilty of misunderstanding things too Rich when I've been glossing over reams of new material.

For the record, I have never said or indicated in any way that I can remember, that I don't like the use of cameras. My intent over a number of recent posts was to highlight the hypocrisy among some of our members here. The double standard to which I made reference occurs when people knowingly and wilfully ride illegal ebikes, thus breaking the law, yet equip themselves with head cams to record the infringements of others on the road. "Let he who be without sin.....etc"

Is that a fair point?

Indalo
He who is without sin shall cast the first stone.
So that must be you?

Seems to me you make assumtions about people without actually knowing the facts..
Is that fair?

Rich

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
He who is without sin shall cast the first stone.
So that must be you?

Seems to me you make assumtions about people without actually knowing the facts..
Is that fair?

Rich

Afraid you have me at a loss Rich; can you explain exactly what you mean please?

Indalo

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Indalo I have lost the will to live now too.
Yes, I thought as much. You just like to criticise people who say something you don't like without actually offering anything useful. I stand by what I have said and I think it's important that honest people speak up when others who choose to break the law attempt to ameliorate their position by conditioning others to believe that it's ok, it's only a very minor infringement of the law.

I'm all for "live and let live" but let's do it within the various laws and rules of civilised society.

Indalo

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Yes, I thought as much. You just like to criticise people who say something you don't like without actually offering anything useful. I stand by what I have said and I think it's important that honest people speak up when others who choose to break the law attempt to ameliorate their position by conditioning others to believe that it's ok, it's only a very minor infringement of the law.

I'm all for "live and let live" but let's do it within the various laws and rules of civilised society.

Indalo
You actually sound like a Priest preaching from that sugar mountain now. :)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
This thread had escaped my attention, until now.

It's all very interesting and echoes what the prophets of Bicycle Armageddon have been saying for some time. This situation simply had to happen. Luckily, on this particular occaision, it's the rider of the ilegal bike who has suffered the consequences.

Do we know if it's one of the ilegal bike which50 Cycles are currently selling. They have an outlet in Richmond I believe. If it is one of their offerings, I can have some sympathy for the cyclist. Their website makes absolutely no mention of th fact that you can't use the £2795 Kalkhoff Pro Connect S10 on a road. I'd be a bit pissed if I'd paid that much for a bike only to discover that I can't actually use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.