Kit On The Way.

kernow60

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
O.K. just ordered my kit: -
1) Bafang 8-Fun BBS01 36v 250w mid drive kit.
2)Li-Ion Water Bottle eBike Battery 36v 14.5Ah in Black.
3)Bafang 8-Fun BBS01/BBS02 hydraulic brake sensors (pair)

Should be here by end of the week, well hopefully :rolleyes:, now my first question, and there will probably be a few more once I have received and fitted my new kit.
Due to the very small triangle of my 16" frame I am unfortunately limited to available battery positions, this already mentioned in a previous thread.

So I have decided to mount the battery on the top tube, which is quite a wide squarish tube, so plenty of room for it, and the battery is 88mm in diameter so shouldn't pose any problems, also due to it's 400mm length I feel it should spread the weight evenly over the length of the top tube, well that's my theory o_O.

So fixing it is going to be with rivnuts, as it's designed to be fitted to a bottle cage mount, at this moment in time I'm not sure what the thread size for bottle cage mounts are, will need to check it out, but imagine it's around 5 - 6 or 7mm, I may actually increase the size by 1mm over the bottle cage size, I will make that decision once I have the battery and see what support I think it requires.

Now my question is should I use stainless steel, steel or aluminium rivnuts in an aluminium frame.???
I haven't purchased a kit as yet so would like some opinions please of the best kit to buy for the job, based of course on my question on which best material rivnut to use.
Thanks in advance. :cool:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
5mm is the normal thread size for a bottle cage. Aluminum ones are what you need.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

kernow60

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
Hi Alan thanks for that, I thought they must be around 5~6mm, I will get myself a rivnut kit with the aluminium rivnuts. :cool:

kernow60

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2016
Hi Alan
Thanks for that, actually now you mentioned it some time back I saw someone, on you-tube I think it was, fitting rivnuts with the aid of a hole drilled in the tapered end of a disc cutter tool, in effect just using a washer as you mentioned. :)