Kit recommendation

ChrisGla

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 3, 2017
Glasgow, UK
Started this discussion in intro's, but thought it best to move it here!

Looking to convert two identical bikes- just different frame sizes.

Genesis Croix de Fer 20 steel frame/ fork (12kg), drop bars with STI with mechanical cables to TRP HY/RD hydraulic discs, 700c/ 135mm rear with 10 speed cassette/ 68mm Hollowtech.

Mainly want assistance up hills with minimum weight increase- riders are 57/ 90kg.
Ideally:-
- retain dual chainring and 10 speed cassette
- avoid handlebar clutter
- torque sensor seems more aligned with what we want but PAS seems more realistic.
- smallish battery, 8-10ah (this checks out as ok on Woosh predictor)
- more pedelec, less "moped"
- easily removable for normal cycling would be nice
- ideally UK supplier

Suspecting light front hub without torque sensor may be best fit- but TSDZ2 or rear hub with torque sensor look interesting (if reliable/ realistic priced)- or are any new offerings out from Eurobike, etc? Would be nice to get the kits nice but can wait...

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't fit a front motor. They're not nearly as nice as a rear one, and there's plenty of rear cassette motors to choose from.

ChrisGla

Sep 3, 2017
Glasgow, UK
Really glad this forum exists!

Any recommendations for lightish motor that will fit 135mm dropout with 10 speed Tiagra/ Deore cassette without bending frame?

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Easily removable for normal cycling? The only thing you can remove easily is the battery although swapping a wheel back over to the original one isn't much hassle I'm pretty sure you'd only do it once or twice before you got fed up with it.The extra weight of the kit does make a big difference if you have to peddle with no assistance but even if you only use the lowest setting you'll not notice the extra weight and your range will improved a lot plus you've got the extra power at your fingertips for the bigger hills etc.

ChrisGla

Sep 3, 2017
Glasgow, UK
Yes- I meant remove wheel/ battery. This is an advantage of the hub vs mid drive- although Panda Revo is removable mid-drive (but would mess about with the nice chainset I don't want to lose)

I do swap between road wheels and cross tyres on one bike just now- so the only difference with the ebike is I'd need tools as seems unlikely there's a tool-less e-hub.

D

Deleted member 4366

I do swap between road wheels and cross tyres on one bike just now- so the only difference with the ebike is I'd need tools as seems unlikely there's a tool-less e-hub.
You need to forget about that idea or forget about the idea of electric.

ChrisGla

Sep 3, 2017
Glasgow, UK
Can I ask why? With a hub, isn't it a case of unbolting wheel and disconnecting connector? Surely if I do that and remove battery there's only minimal weight left in controller/ display?

D

Deleted member 4366

Can I ask why? With a hub, isn't it a case of unbolting wheel and disconnecting connector? Surely if I do that and remove battery there's only minimal weight left in controller/ display?
Don't forget the torque arm and re-aligning the disc caliper.

Formula I teams rebuild their cars completely after every race, so anything is possible. It's just a question of what you want to do. Personally, I'd rather have two bikes. Keep your present one for exercise, if that's what you want, and buy a cheap Electric MTB type for general travelling around. The cost is nearly the same. You don't need an expensive electric bike unless you want it for serious off-road riding.

ChrisGla

Sep 3, 2017
Glasgow, UK
Ok. I can handle that. Thought I'd probably get away without torque arm on a 250w rear hub?

I have three bikes already- an old steel roadie with downtube shifters, a mountain bike that I never use, and the CDF.

CDF just seemed the best to rework- it has wide dropout, good semi-hydraulic brakes and can take the tyres I tend to use for rail/ canal paths, etc.
Hate the MTB (getting rid of it), the roadie is fine for roads but can't tyres above 28- not good on paths and would dread it with a motor!
I don't want any more bikes in the garage!!!

Chances are, once I put electric on the bike it will rarely come off- but nice to have the option...