kt lcd display question

luap321

Pedelecer
Aug 30, 2022
can i use ktlcd8h to set up a bike then take it off an use another kt display like led 880 an the controller keep the settings the lcd8h set .im thinking its easier to use the menu on the 8h than the lower modle number ones but this is not from experience just what seen on youtube ,

are the 5&7 just as eays to set up

thanks paul

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
All the setting are stored in the LCD. The LCD communicates with the control and downloads all the settings continuously to the controller. The controller copies those settings that are relevant. So the settings are stored in both the LCD and the relevant ones in the controller.
This allows the user for example to set up a controller with an LCD and then remove the LCD and fit cable end plug/jumper (that shorts the red to blue & Tx to RX) so that controller can work without LCD.(e.g some cyclotricity kits)
The potential problem is then, if you set up a controller with an LCD and then change the LCD, the new LCD will communicate with controller with the new P & C settings which would probably alter the settings stored in the controller. However, since the 880 has less settings (& possibly different protocol?), the controller could hold the existing settings.
That is my interpretation. But you never know as the controllers have slight differences in firmware for different suppliers/applications, so you could try it if you really need to. Hopefully it would not lock up or brick the controller.
Both the LCD3 and the KT controller have been hacked on ES and a discussion along with a txt file of LCD protocols are available below.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73471

Last edited:
Reactions: luap321

luap321

Pedelecer
Aug 30, 2022
thank you both for your replys
thats a bit over my head on ES but its answered my question
thanks paul