Kudos Not Impressed (Resolved)

ghost

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2013
oh and 100% you must try one with a throttle first before you decide its not for you.

I rarely ride without throttle in traffic as like you have found the kick in/out of power can catch you out, throw you off balance, make you feel like you might lose control, or like the bike is driving you not the other way around.

With a throttle you can perfectly manage your speed from a crawl to go-baby-go which makes it much easier. That's if you are able to manage brakes, pedals, throttle, observation, hand signals all at once. I don't say that as discouraging just in my experience some are better at managing these rapidly changing variables than others and those that struggle will find a e-bike harder to ride than a normal one in that respect regardless of how good the bike is.

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't like to admit it but I've made a big mistake in buying this Kudos City, teething problems sorted,and its perfect,except for being to big for me,I really don't feel confident on it at all,its my fault,I really shouldn't have bought online,I was warned by my other half not to,and as much as it hurts :). To say it she's right again. I went out on it this morning and while it's fine on the move,the electric motor is excellent,but in slow moving traffic and getting on and off its not good, or should I say I'm not good on it. Its a shame as I like the bike style,but need to be confident in using bit,and I,m not. So I think I'm going to have to probably sell it as I don't think local bike shops do a part ex,even though its only 5 days old. I am Hooke on getting another e bike,but only from a local dealer this time. I may have to put it on Ebay in the end ....
Did you change the seat-pin for a non-suspension one. Regardless f frame size, the Kudos City has a relatively low seat-post. I can't believe that it's too high for you with a 30" inside leg. I'm 31" inside leg, and 5' 10", and I look for 22" frames. That Kudos is nowhere near that. You can get a plain seat-pin from any bike shop, although they're cheaper from Ebay. It'll be a lot cheaper to do that than sell your bike on Ebay Seat-pins come in a number of different diameters, so you need to measure your present one to get a good fit if you buy on-line

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Definitely worth losing the suspension seat post, it will have the effect of shortening the frame by around an inch or so.

Personally, I prefer a throttle, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd encourage you to try a bike with a throttle option, I wouldn't really want an electric bike without one, but then again I'm a 34" inside leg & need a 23" frame of which there none in the ready made market which have a throttle.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
I tried a seat post from someone else's bike at work this afternoon, it made a little difference,but I don't feel confident on the bike at all, especially in town traffic. It could be a throttle may well suite me better,but I also think I need a smaller bike. I really can't see Kudos doing any deal on changing the bike,why would they. Its my own stupid fault.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
distance selling regulations allow you to return an item for a refund

Distance Selling Regulations - Which? Consumer Rights

Your right to cancel an order
The Distance Selling Regulations state that your right to cancel an order starts the moment you place your order and doesn’t end until seven working days from the day after you receive your goods.
This is the minimum consumers must be given and many sellers choose to exceed this, so always check the terms and conditions in case you have longer to return your items.
As this seven-day working period is the time you have to decide whether to cancel, the seller can’t say that you must have returned the goods within this time frame.
Confirmation of your cancellation should be sent by email, letter or fax.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I tried a seat post from someone else's bike at work this afternoon, it made a little difference,but I don't feel confident on the bike at all, especially in town traffic. It could be a throttle may well suite me better,but I also think I need a smaller bike. I really can't see Kudos doing any deal on changing the bike,why would they. Its my own stupid fault.
If you do not feel confident the last place to try and ride is in town traffic,try somewhere quiet to get used to stopping and starting the bike,as others have said your knee should be almost fully extended on the pedals whilst sitting on the saddle,getting a bike where your feet can touch the floor or on tip toes may feel safer,but the proper technique is to get off the saddle when you need to stop,and use the pedals to get on to your seat as you pull away,this makes far more efficient use of a bike and lessens knee strain.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
If you do not feel confident the last place to try and ride is in town traffic,try somewhere quiet to get used to stopping and starting the bike,as others have said your knee should be almost fully extended on the pedals whilst sitting on the saddle,getting a bike where your feet can touch the floor or on tip toes may feel safer,but the proper technique is to get off the saddle when you need to stop,and use the pedals to get on to your seat as you pull away,this makes far more efficient use of a bike and lessens knee strain.
Maybe so for a non-eBike. But for a PAS sensor bike, especially if you ride clipped in, this is very unnatural and awkward. Also, using the pedals to get back on your seat when pulling away makes you much more likely to trigger the motor during the process with unintended results as to initial motor speed vs cadence and gears etc. But I agree completely about taking any e-bike somewhere quiet to ride it a few times before taking it into traffic.

It's presumably the distance between the ground and the crank which determines how much you have to lean the bike to the side to touch the ground when stopped. I haven't measured it but I think the crank is lower on my 26" wheeled bike than the 28" wheel (700C) bike. It certainly feels that way when I compare my Agattu to the Trek... on the former I lean the bike and manage tiptoes and on the latter can easily manage the ball of my foot or more with the same amount of lean. Haven't measured the relative seat heights from the crank but I think they're pretty similar. The Kudos City is a 700C job so presumably the cranks sit higher off the ground too ?

I lean the bikes to the side when stopped and put left foot down. Right foot is always clipped in to a pedal and roatated to 2 o'clock ready for a comfy 1st downstroke which rights the 28" crank drive bike as I pull off. It used to drive me nuts trying to optimize getting pedals positioned for take-off before the clipless pedals and slipping off them in the rain. It's easier on the Trek as it's a 26" tyre bike and everything about it is compact, plus the throttle means pulling off is like pulling away on a scooter and this always 'rights' the bike. But of course it'll never be as comfortable a ride as a Dutch bike !

I'd never get off the saddle to stand on the ground when stopped. Especially at every set of traffic lights where the crank drive bike gets ridden most ! But I will put my left foot down on a kerb in preference to making do with tiptoes on the ground as the most comfortable way to stop on the bigger wheeled e-Bike :). Dutch bikes can feel BIG compared to what you're maybe used to. But the trade-off of this and the suspension seatpost, wide swept-back handlebars etc is the ride comfort when you're actually riding them.

Last edited:

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
I really can't see Kudos doing any deal on changing the bike,why would they. Its my own stupid fault.
In my experience, its always worth asking the question if you're unhappy with something you've just bought. In this case, i'd give them a a call...if you don't ask you don't get. I'd think it likely that some kind of compromise could be agreed

1. because they seem like nice people.
2. because you're a customer.

i'm not sure distance selling applies, as i think Denwyn has used the goods, and iirc you have to not use the goods while you have them and can only examine and try them as you would in a shop (might be wrong though as it says you can examine them as you would in a shop purchase, and all ebike shops would allow test rides)

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
by the way, agreed with the throttle comments, or see if you can find a bike with a torque sensor, the instant power when you put pressure on the cranks is great for traffic starts

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Practice makes Perfect. Clearly its your confidence that needs to be worked on, you can replace the saddle with one that has a lower profile, which I also had to do with mine as I have a 27" inseam, and could not touch the ground with the original saddle in its lowest position. When taking off try the lowest gear which will require less effort, and practice as said before on quieter roads early in the morning to build your confidence up, and familiarizing yourself with your new bike.

Last edited:

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for all the advice,sorry but i have made up my mind the bike has to go. Took my old ( VERY OLD ) Raleigh out this morning, no worries on it at all, its a smaller bike and I'm definitely sure now that the Kudos City bike size and the no throttle are the problems. The Raleigh must be about 20 years old now, don't know what model it is, just bought it second hand about 14 years back. Kudos wont want the bike back even as a swap as its been assembled and used, also i cant really see anything in there range that would be any better for a swap, at 65 i really don't think a mountain type bike would suit me at all. So as soon as i get some time i will take a few pics and put it up for sale.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Food for Thought. I have a Kudos Sport(16 months old) which I would consider a swap for the City. There is a picture of it on my profile page taken in June this year
ps, it has a throttle

Last edited:

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for the offer, sorry but at 65 I don't think the style would suite me

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Why not contact Kudos and ask them if they can do a part exchange for one of their 18" frame bikes?
They are a reputable company and I would think they would be happy to enhance their reputation on the forum and particularly on this thread if they could help you to resolve your difficulty.
I think perhaps your problem is not yet having the confidence to ride with the seat where it should be rather than the bike being to big, a smaller frame would allow you to start with the seat lower and as your confidence rises, so can your seat height.
My wife had a similar problem when she resumed cycling after many years and as she got more used to her bike and her knees began to suffer, she was able and happy to raise the seat half an inch at a time resulting eventually with a seat about 3 inches higher than when she started.
You say you don't think a mountain type bike would suit you but until you try one you won't really know,
why not have a go on one with say an 18" frame and see what you think.
I ride a mountain bike and am no Lycra clad athlete (at 67 years) and find them so safe on our potholed roads plus they often have a slightly more dropped top tube near the seat which can allow you to lower the saddle even further than on the same size road bike frame.
My frame is 20" and seat post is 9" out of the frame, I'm 6'1" and slightly over 32" leg and the bike is set up perfectly for me which means only the tip of my toes touch the ground when I'm on the saddle.
Whatever you decide I would urge you as others have, to ultimately not have too much bend in your legs when they are at the bottom of the stroke.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ this.

Not sure where you're based but the Birmingham NEC show on 27th- 29th September is less than 2 weeks away and there's an E-bike village where you can see, sit on and try out a load of bikes. The exhibitor list is here :

Cycle Show 2013 - Electric Bike area

If you line up a few that you fancy trying you might be able to get some dealers to bring along bikes in your size to help make sure you like the look and also the feel of them. Kudos are also going to be there so you could look at some of the rest of the range if there's any prospect of swapping out.

I tested the Kalkhoff at that show last year and also used the chance to eye-ball the different models, look at the features and be sure I was getting the one which I liked most. It was a trek and a long day but in the end it made sure I got something I was going to like and really use.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
I really don't see any point in contacting Kudos,its my fault for buying the bike,plus I can't see anything suitable to swap it for. I don't want a fold up or small wheel bike. I did hire a mountain bike about 10 years ago on a holiday, not a comfortable bike from what I remember. What I'm going to buy rests on what I get for my Kudos, I do intend buying something dearer, and local if possible. I may see if I can get up to the NEC bike show and try a few out,will have a look first to see who's exhibiting E Bikes.

D

Deleted member 4366

Some of the exhibitors there you will never have heard of. The main point is that there's just about every type of Ebike there, so you can try out all the different motors and control systems. It's not just about trying to find your ideal bike, but you never know what you might find. There may be even something new.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
I've had 5 previous ebikes, for various reasons I refuse to pay more than £1000, a month ago I bought a Woosh Sirroco CD. I'm just a 73 year old leisure cyclist I've done 500 miles on it so far and can't fault it.

I'm only 5'6" and I'm sure the bike is too small but it suits me down to the ground.....I love it.
I suppose it's a mountain bike style but it is so comfortable.

Have a look on the Woosh site or if Cambridge is within striking distance go and try one.
.....Woosh do a trial system 100s of different post codes....check it out.

.....good luck whatever....Mike

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Trouble with that is its buy without trying again, and look what happened when i just did that. Afraid i'm not prepared to risk it again.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
I :confused:have looked at the list and have heard of quite a few, plus searches on here and on Google bring up a lot of info, i will have to see if i can sort out a trip up, bit of a pain as its about a two and a half hour drive, but makes sense as i can try out a few bikes, and get it right next time.:confused: