Kudos Not Impressed (Resolved)

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I :confused:have looked at the list and have heard of quite a few, plus searches on here and on Google bring up a lot of info, i will have to see if i can sort out a trip up, bit of a pain as its about a two and a half hour drive, but makes sense as i can try out a few bikes, and get it right next time.:confused:
No pain no gain :). I went on the train - it's a few minutes' walk from Birmingham International. The test tracks are a conveyor belt, pretty small & flattish and you need to leave photo ID or credit card at the desk (just to pre-warn !) and wear a helmet (plenty to borrow). So tests are pretty basic going round & round but you can certainly get a feel for the bike geometry and some feel for how they respond.

There are also scores of other non-eBike exhibits and all sorts of safety gizmos etc. so a day disappears in a flash.

Last edited:

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Funny that I've just looked at maybe going on the train. I've also managed to raise the funds available for another bike by another £1000 plus whatever I get for the Kudos City, all in all then around £1550 in total. I may go a little higher but not by much. At last I've got her indoors on my side now and she can see the sense in getting a E Bike.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
If anyone or knows of anyone interested I've put the Kudos City up firvsale on here for £550, as you all know its barely a week old. A saving of £ 95 over a new one. Its collect only though,from Taunton, I would possibly consider an exchange,but only for a smaller bike, with cash difference for suitable bike, prefer in perfect condition and no home conversions.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
This thread's title has been changed, presumably by the mods.

Whoever did it has a fairly loose interpretation of the meaning of 'resolved'.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
I suppose it is resolved really, its defiantly resolved in that I have made a huge mistake and now no longer want the bike,entirely my fault, I was warned by a few including her indoors not to buy online, and not to buy something I had never seen,everything that they have said has been proved right. There is nothing wrong with the bike at all, I admit I did overreact at first with a problem,that was mainly with the way Kudos treated it,but it was soon sorted. The only problem is the bikes to big for me,I need to feel safe riding it and I don't, I know now I need a much smaller frame. If it was made in a smaller frame I would buy it no problem,but it's not so its up for sale,someone will get a good deal if they buy this. As for me,I'm not giving up on e bikes, far from it, I will though be far more careful on choosing my next bike.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Bike removed from sale, had quite a few offers from the various places I've posted it on, i would have been OK with £ 500 for it and I thought that was a good deal,apparently it doesn't seem so from the highest offer of £400 I received. I won't let it go for that,so may well have to just get used to riding a big bike,not entirely happy about it. Ordered a solid seat post of EBay,,and will maybe see if there is a slimmer seat I could buy,may take it down to Halfords to see what seats they sell,as there are to many on EBay and I,m not sure on what to buy. I didn't bother to put bit up on EBay,when you take into account EBay / Paypal fees and the low prices they sell for its not worth bothering.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you do the right thing, it's a very good bike. By the way, I noticed on the picture you set the handlebars quite low, have you tried to set the handlebars higher up? it may help reducing the arm reach, more of a comfortable sit up position.

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
How long did you have it for sale for.?

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
you do the right thing, it's a very good bike. By the way, I noticed on the picture you set the handlebars quite low, have you tried to set the handlebars higher up? it may help reducing the arm reach, more of a comfortable sit up position.
Never really looked at the handle bar height, just pushed the post in as far as it would go, and the seat as low as possible. Will have another look and see if lifting the bars makes any difference. Thanks

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Having now seen your photos I'm certain that a new seat post coupled with a new saddle will fix your problem, I didn't realise you hadn't changed the seat post already.
Be careful with Halfords though a lot depends on the folk working at the individual branch, they can be OK or hopeless and you could end up still not happy.
I would suggest you take/ride it to a "proper" bike shop for help and advice and they will make sure the parts are correct and fitted correctly.
Although I buy the odd thing from Halfords I wouldn't let them near my bike!

edited to say sorry, didn't notice you had already ordered a seat post so just a saddle you will need, make sure the back of the saddle will clear the battery when it's at it's lowest point.
I'm really confident this should resolve things for you.

Last edited:

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
2 days.!

would it not be a good idea to put it on the free ad sites, such as, preloved/freeads/gumtree/friday-ad

These are free to put an advert and work well. Just do the write up,copy and paste it into each site, jobs a goodun, got to worth a week or two. No point in keeping something that's going to make you unhappy.

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
2 days.!

would it not be a good idea to put it on the free ad sites, such as, preloved/freeads/gumtree/friday-ad

These are free to put an advert and work well. Just do the write up,copy and paste it into each site, jobs a goodun, got to worth a week or two. No point in keeping something that's going to make you unhappy.

There has to be something in it for the buyer to buy it from you rather than paying £600 new from Kudos with all the reassurances buying something brand new brings to the purchaser. On that basis, £400-£450 doesn't sound an entirely unreasonable offer. If you're not happy with the bike I think I would be tempted to cut my losses and re-invest the money in something better suited to your needs. Perhaps leave the advert up a little longer on here as there are always newbies coming along who may read your story and may see it as a reasonably cheap way to get their first e-bike. Best wishes, Rus.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
2 days.!

It was up on Preloved, that's were I got the cheeky £ 400 offer and they wanted it delivered, I think I'd rather keep it than give it away,that would be a £250 loss in a week, plus fuel to deliver if some 80 mile round trip, offer I had to assist with fuel costs was £ 15.. OK I made a mistake in buying Kudos,but I'm sure ad hell im not giving the bike away.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
denwyn, there is a slider lock at the top of the quill stem, slide it towards you then lift up the lever. You can then rotate the stem arm upward and also rotate the handlebars to suit. Push the lever down to lock the handlebars.
rustic: unless I am mistaken, the warranty from kudos may not be transferrable, that knocks quite a bit off the resale value of the bike.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
New bike would cost £650 from Kudos,£400/450 is robbery,plus the lower offer wanted it delivered. Sorry I won't let it go for that,its a week old,done about 30 miles,and is worth the £ 500 asking price. Anyway I've ordered a new seat post now and looking for suitable saddle, I intend giving it a longer trial and hope I get to like it.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ Got little to lose giving it a proper go. It's only a bike in the end .... Once you get it set up better for your size and you start feeling safe on it can hopefully get some fun out of it. New bikes are a bit like driving new cars out of a showroom. Private resale value plummets on day 1 but then holds for a good while - and certainly long enough to give it a proper trial without taking such a hit for zero utility.

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Have you questioned with Kudos whether the warranty is applicable to the new purchaser? If not, then I suggest £400-£450 is its value imho. But that would seem the most simple thing to do as that would massively affect the value of the bike. I speak as someone who had a battery fail within a year of purchase, whilst under warranty, it was replaced for free, otherwise would have cost me a further £300...

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Have you questioned with Kudos whether the warranty is applicable to the new purchaser? If not, then I suggest £400-£450 is its value imho. But that would seem the most simple thing to do as that would massively affect the value of the bike. I speak as someone who had a battery fail within a year of purchase, whilst under warranty, it was replaced for free, otherwise would have cost me a further £300...
No I didn't check with Kudos, even if the warranty was OK to transfer,I would have still only wanted £500, I understand people want bargains, to me the offers were to low,anyway I'm game to give it a longer try out now,and hope i can live with it, failing that I'll just have to take what I can get in a few months.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Bike removed from sale, had quite a few offers from the various places I've posted it on, i would have been OK with £ 500 for it and I thought that was a good deal,apparently it doesn't seem so from the highest offer of £400 I received. I won't let it go for that,so may well have to just get used to riding a big bike,not entirely happy about it. Ordered a solid seat post of EBay,,and will maybe see if there is a slimmer seat I could buy,may take it down to Halfords to see what seats they sell,as there are to many on EBay and I,m not sure on what to buy. I didn't bother to put bit up on EBay,when you take into account EBay / Paypal fees and the low prices they sell for its not worth bothering.

I sold my dad's Volt Metro on eBay. It was 3 months old, £1299 new and i got £920 for it, less £75 fees, i thought that was a reasonable price. You'll be lucky to get more than 2/3rds of the new price on ANY bike or ebike. That's simply the way it is, partly because i've never seen a transferrable warranty on a bike, so buyers dont want to risk paying too much.