LaVita conversion

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
I see there was some discussion in June with the UK designer of this minimalist conversion kit. Have there been any developments such as road tests, longer term reliability tests since then? I have come across just one test (https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/reviews/e-bike-conversion-kit/lavita-boost-e-bike-conversion-kit-3925) so far. This sort of minimalist kit with low weight, good weight distribution and simplicity does appeal to me and may be a better answer than the friction kit I have prototyped using surplus Chinese components.

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
I see there was some discussion in June with the UK designer of this minimalist conversion kit. Have there been any developments such as road tests, longer term reliability tests since then? I have come across just one test (https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/reviews/e-bike-conversion-kit/lavita-boost-e-bike-conversion-kit-3925) so far. This sort of minimalist kit with low weight, good weight distribution and simplicity does appeal to me and may be a better answer than the friction kit I have prototyped using surplus Chinese components.
I thought it might be of interest to update this post.

I made contact with Nick Bailey, designer of the LaVita ebike conversion concept and controller. The conversion seemed to fit all my requirements and was very reasonably priced, so I discussed with my local bike shop but then hit a snag specific to my veteran/vintage French built frame - namely the narrow width of the rear dropouts. Although a steel based frame and therefore more amenable to widening the dropout I didn't feel I wanted to risk a failure on the road. Nor, with dwindling cycling years :( do I want to go through the process of procuring a compatible frame and attendant fitting out. So it seems I will have to be satisfied with my front-wheel Swytch type conversion (which can be fitted to the very slightly narrow front fork dropouts of that frame) and the friction drive which I have been prototyping on the same bike. The latter is great (cheap, light, well balanced and surprisingly powerful) with dry roads and dry tyres! I may be able to improve matters with wet tyres with some experimentation.

However to those seeking a good value conversion package who have more modern bikes (frames) I would commend a careful look at what is being offered by the British sourced and partially British designed LaVita Boost and LaVitaVelo website Peter