LCD3 Speedometer unstable at higher speed with external sensor.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I've seen this on three LCD installs, Normally I ignore it, but I'd like to fix it. At slow speeds. up to about 12-14 mph, the speedometer is steady. ABove 16 mph, it starts flashing between 15 and 30 mph, and is unreadable under acceleration. When back in coasting mode, the speedometer settles down and reads the wheel sensor. The accumulated distance on the odometer appears accurate.

Thing is, I had a bafang fat bike motor with an internal speed sensor with no issues. When salt corroded the internal sensor, I had to install an external and the same behavior started.

One thing I need to try is set P2 = 0, which tells the controller to determine speed from the motor positioning, Then I get no speed when coasting,

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
With an external speed sensor, you must set p2=1, otherwise your LCD won't show speed when coasting. Your problem is that the sensor is sending two pulses when it should only send one. If the magnet is too far away, move it closer, and if it's already close, move it away a bit. Make sure you have the correct fore and aft positioning too.

Did you add an additional magnet to it to get the spacing right?