LED on Kalkoff Pro Connect 2008

Onslow

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2009
I think you have misread my post. I quoted Tilson, not our German friend. That is who I was directing my rocket science jibe at. And that is just what is was. A jibe. I am very new to this forum, but not forums in general. It seems that this one carried a certain negative vibe sometimes. Not everyones post is going to contain nuggets of information, unfortunately. A forum is supposed to be an online community, where everyone can contribute equally. I can see how some new members might feel threatened to post when the minute they do they get told they either aren't being helpfull, or arne't making sense.

Lighten up people. It's only a forum. What is being said about Bob is rude, and a form of bullying I feel. He may be not the best contributor in terms of knowledge but he should be allowed to contribute, just as I am with my limited technical Knowledge.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think you have misread my post. I quoted Tilson, not our German friend. That is who I was directing my rocket science jibe at. And that is just what is was. A jibe. I am very new to this forum, but not forums in general. It seems that this one carried a certain negative vibe sometimes. Not everyones post is going to contain nuggets of information, unfortunately. A forum is supposed to be an online community, where everyone can contribute equally. I can see how some new members might feel threatened to post when the minute they do they get told they either aren't being helpfull, or arne't making sense.

Lighten up people. It's only a forum. What is being said about Bob is rude, and a form of bullying I feel. He may be not the best contributor in terms of knowledge but he should be allowed to contribute, just as I am with my limited technical Knowledge.
Everyone is very welcome to post and this has often been commented on as one of the friendliest on the internet, but it's that way because good manners are generally observed.

In fact Bob is more knowledeable than you may realise and started in this forum six months ago with intelligible and sometimes informative posts showing that. Unfortunately his postings have changed since then and have provoked complaints from a number of members about their often disruptive nature, and as I've remarked, sometimes offensive content.

He is being judged accordingly.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

Thanks for your support guys it relly mean a lot.

I have never been to such a friendly place, flecc your knowledge is so good you should write a book.

Just got back from a long tide and feel tired now up at 2 for me next shift.

thx

Bob

styx

Pedelecer
Oct 14, 2008
Ludlow Shropshire

Hi onslow.
I agree absolutely with your reply,we do not all possess the literary expertise and technical knowledge of some of our more illustrious members.I personally consider bob's posts to be without malice and often amusing,sadly this can not be said for some of the reactions to his posts .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi onslow.
I agree absolutely with your reply,we do not all possess the literary expertise and technical knowledge of some of our more illustrious members.I personally consider bob's posts to be without malice and often amusing,sadly this can not be said for some of the reactions to his posts .
This misses the point, We have a number of members who are not very literate and an even larger number who lack technical knowledge, neither are in any way a bar to being full members with every respect shown to them at all times, evidence of that clear to see all the time. We also enjoy good humour that doesn't hurt anyone.

However they don't post disruptively. For example, coming in late at night and raking up a very large number of defunct threads from old pages and posting inane comments, in the process relegating current threads that still need more answers to previous pages where they are hidden.

That is a deliberately hostile and unfriendly action and one which Bob has indulged in previously, and it's on evidence like this that he is partly being judged, entirely fairly in my view. There's also the example of the disruption in this thread caused by his irrelevant post confusing the thread originator, also a thoughtless act. His very weak humour is no compensation for this sort of conduct, or for his occasional insults and misuse of other member's names.

I add that you have also found his posts less than helpful and have remarked that:

Example 1

Example 2

Last edited:

Onslow

Feb 17, 2009
I don't see how Bob's posts are disruptive. They nearly always are on the rough subject of the thread title.....MUCH more than I can say of alot of other users here. Look at this thread as an example. It's supposed to be about Pro Connect lights, but you, me and tilson have gone right off topic. That is disruptive. Yet Bob, who actually posted in line with the thread topic, all be it not that helpfull, gets slated?

I am going to stick up for him here, It seems as soon as he opens his mouth certain members here pick on him.

In actual fact Tilson started the malice and disruption here,

"Unfortunately the person who made the post only does so for the purpose of disrupting the forum. Therefore his posts never will make sense."

And you don't get much more malicious than you did Flecc, publicly inciting him to get banned in another thread.

I thought playground bullying was limited to the playground...apparently not.:mad:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I gave the highly disruptive example that you've ignored Onslow. Many members were infuriated by the behaviour I described and haven't forgotten it.

I've been very tolerant of his behaviour for a very long time and I'm no bully, but since he stepped well over the mark I see no reason for further tolerance.

E-bikes are a small market and there's little information generally available about them and also very little support. Therefore the main functions of this forum are bike choice help and support in solving technical problems on them. The posts we are discussing are frequently disruptive to those functions as so clearly shown in this thread, where as typically happens, the inquirer is new to the forum.

Having made the first post ever to open this forum and being in here ever since, I have a reasonably good idea of what has proved good for the forum and what has not. What is happening currently and any support for it are not good in my view.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I don't see how Bob's posts are disruptive. They nearly always are on the rough subject of the thread title.....MUCH more than I can say of alot of other users here. Look at this thread as an example. It's supposed to be about Pro Connect lights, but you, me and tilson have gone right off topic. That is disruptive. Yet Bob, who actually posted in line with the thread topic, all be it not that helpfull, gets slated?

I am going to stick up for him here, It seems as soon as he opens his mouth certain members here pick on him.

In actual fact Tilson started the malice and disruption here,

"Unfortunately the person who made the post only does so for the purpose of disrupting the forum. Therefore his posts never will make sense."

And you don't get much more malicious than you did Flecc, publicly inciting him to get banned in another thread.

I thought playground bullying was limited to the playground...apparently not.:mad:
Onslow, I had made up my mind not to indulge you on the Subject of wotwozere’s posting habits, however you have made a suggestion that my post was malicious and disruptive and I take issue with you over this.

To put this into context, another forum member had requested information regarding the feasibility of retro-fitting an LED type light to the Pro-Connect which has a certain idiosyncrasy to its electrical supply. He made it quite clear that he didn’t want a detachable type light.

Bob (wotwozere) stated that he had used Sellotape to attach a torch to the handlebars of his bike so that he could use it to carry alcohol.

What does this have to do with the original request? I don't understand it. How does Bob’s comment about the Sellotape, torch and alcohol relate to Mr NRG’s request for information regarding the use of a non-detachable LED type light on the Pro-Connect with its peculiar power supply?

Mr. NRG, the originator of the thread, then asked the same thing. You must agree that Bob has made countless irrelevant statements on threads in the past and as already stated, has often dredged up spent threads with silly comments. I used this FACT on which to base my reply that Bob does this for the purpose of disrupting the forum and that his posts don’t make sense.

So:

1) How does my direct reply to a specific question disrupt the thread?

2) How does it go, “right off topic”.

3) What makes it malicious?

I see that you have not addressed the examples posted by Flec. I ask that you now either address my three questions sticking to the facts of this thread or have the moral courage to withdraw your remarks about my malice and disruption within this thread.

Last edited:

Onslow

Feb 17, 2009
I'm not withdrawing anything. Your "direct reply" to the question didn't actually answer it did it? You just made a sweeping statement about Bob's reason's for posting, basically saying ignore him he doesn't make sense. Also that he is intent on causing disruption. I object to that because it made perfect sense to me. The thread starter was asking about retro fitting lights, and Bob explained how he overcame the problem himself. I really don't see an issue with that. OK it wasn't exactly the ideal answer to the problem, but it was an answer and I don't see why he should be slated like that. I find that malicious. So there's your answer to question one.

It goes right off topic as we are between the 3 of us arguing about Bob's posts, not discussing fitting lights to a Pro Connect. IN fact it has not had anything to do with a Pro Connect for the last 10 or so posts. This I am not blaming you solely for, if you actually read what I posted before, it says, "but you, me and tilson have gone right off topic." It is a statement of fact. This thread has gone right off topic. I believe that is question 2 answered.

For the answer to question 3, see the answer to question 1. :rolleyes: I think it is malicious to accuse Bob of deliberately trying to disrupt the forum. He clearly means well, but just because he doesn't have as good advice as some other members on here doesn't mean he isn't welcome. In fact some of the things he says IS good advice, but does he ever get recognition for it? No.

As for your posts you pointed out Flecc, you actually added them as an edit after the original post. Please don't try and make me look stupid by saying I ignored them. It wasn't in your original post and I was responding to that. You added them whilst I was typing to your original copy, which didn't include it. But in answer to your "additions", again if you actual read what I posted, I said, "They nearly always are on the rough subject of the thread title". I never made him out to be God. By his own admission he seems partial to a drink or two of an evening. And lets be honest, who hasn't done something stupid whilst intoxicated?

To sum things up, I don't find anything offensive about Bob. But I do take offence at being given ultimatums. I really do hope that we are all adult enough to not let this spiral.:(

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I have taken the decision rather than to ban Bob (Wotwozere), any posts he does make will go into the moderation queue where I will make a decision whether they are relevant or not.

Please return to the main topic of this thread.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Thank goodness for a sensible decision.

Why anyone would want to defend a person who advocates cycling whilst intoxicated and other such idiotic activities is beyond me. But at least sense has now prevailed and I welcome this decision by Russ.

Now, returning to the original topic, has anyone retro-fitted an Agattu LED rear light to their Pro-Connect? I would be interested to know if this is a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks

Tom

Grumpy1

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2009
Is it just me or have a manufacturer, a retailer and a guru already warned against this?

And for the record, I am the one Bob called a thicko. I was annoyed at the time, but he's a harmless chap. I actually find his posts quite amusing now!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Is it just me or have a manufacturer, a retailer and a guru already warned against this?
Yes, you are quite correct they have all warned against doing this. Except 50 Cycles have recently stated that they have found a way of retro-fitting an Agattu LED rear light to the Pro Connect. My question was regarding the experience that any forum member may have of this modification and if they thought it wothwhile.

I did state this earlier in the thread but it was, "pre bun fight" and probably got lost.