LED panel question - 880 vs 810 (4wire and 5 wire)

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi all,

I’ve ordered a controller from PandaBikes to get me back on the road – very simple, square wave, sensorless here http://www.pandabikes-shop.co.uk/communities/9/004/012/862/389//images/4619157509.png

They sell whole kits with a LCD or a simple 880 LED panel

I ordered neither as I’ve a bunch of spare LED panels, in particular at least 2 x 810 panels which looks identical to the 880

Except – the 810 has 4 wires and the 880 has 5 wires

What is the extra wire for ?? They have exact same buttons i.e. mode, on/off and 6km

I’m thinking that the extra wire is redundant for the LED panel but used in the LCD version.

Any other ideas or anyone in the know ?

many thanks
Kirstin

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
some LED panels have light switch function. The fifth wire will be for the lights.

D

Deleted member 4366

The 880 doesn't have a light switch function. The 810 has four wires: 36v. 0v, 36v switched and signal. The signal gives 1v for level 1, 2v for level 2, 3v for level 3 and 4v for 6km/h.

All the LCD panels that I've seen have 5 wires. The difference is that the single analogue signal wire is replaced by two data wires: tx and rx. I've seen controllers where you have the choice of LED or LCD panels, so those LED ones must transmit data. Therefore, the 810 won't be compatible. If you've got a spare LCD panel, it'll probably work.

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Ahh thanks - I guess I could try the LCD 3 I have from bms battery

Or shorting 1,2,3 and 5 ( not Tx) this works on the bms battery controllers that take LCD anyway (according to their wiring diagrams)

I have asked Panda bikes about this as well so will advise. They have been really helpful and responsive thus far

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
had the following in from Panda to answer my queries - what do you reckon ?

the 880 display can have the max speed setting changed and that is what the extra wire is for. The ones we sell are unrestricted but we can configure to be restricted to 15mph if required

if you short the red and blue wired to the led panel from the controller this has the effect of making the controller always turned on so you don't need the display to turn it on

D

Deleted member 4366

Shorting the red and blue wires doesn't always work. You can end up with strange power settings, like minimum PAS all the time and other strange results.

I would say that Panda have either given you a minimal fob-off answer or they don't understand all the functions of the LCD. What about wheel size, mph/km and other settings, but most important of all, PAS settings.

The type of controller (square or sine-wave) has no bearing on the compatibility. There's a good chance that your S-LCD3 might work on some functions. Try it and let us know, but don't forget to get the connections in the correct sequence because some of the wires carry battery voltage and others 5v data.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Shorting the red and blue wires doesn't always work. You can end up with strange power settings, like minimum PAS all the time and other strange results.

I would say that Panda have either given you a minimal fob-off answer or they don't understand all the functions of the LCD. What about wheel size, mph/km and other settings, but most important of all pas
What you say Makes sense when talking about LCD

But I was asking them about the 880 led vs a 810 led and that was answer they gave

They sell this controller with either led or LCD

Anyhow I'll try things and revert back

D

Deleted member 4366

My apologies for that, but how does that wire change the maximum speed then? It doesn't make sense to me. Changing the maximum speed requires data to be sent for which you need two wires, or are they talking about the green PAS level signal wire, which is present on the 810 panel?

Reactions: dgncsk

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
My apologies for that, but how does that wire change the maximum speed then? It doesn't make sense to me. Changing the maximum speed requires data to be sent for which you need two wires, or are they talking about the green PAS level signal wire, which is present on the 810 panel?
So, re reading what they say, I wonder if the extra wire is redundant when using an led BUT is used to program the controller i.e. Add the 15mph restriction which they say they can do

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Panda confirm they have a gizmo which they plug into the 880 panel to set the 15mph limit if so desired. Not set in the controller itself which is interesting

It comes unrestricted unless asked for

No idea if this means a 810 panel can be hacked in to work or not

Any thoughts here ?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Good news and bad

The LCD 3 turns on just fine (wires matched) and the PAS turns on (there is a light on theb one baldylox kindly have me)

There is 7,7 v at throttle between red and blue,. But nothing works rhe motor, nothing at phase wires

Any ideas ?

D

Deleted member 4366

The S-LCD3 can send its data under three different protocols set in one of the C parameters. You could try the other two protocols.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The S-LCD3 can send its data under three different protocols set in one of the C parameters. You could try the other two protocols.
I bought a 880 panel from panda, arrived next day

The panel turns on but flashes on lowest led showing low battery

But the battery is reading 54v. At the controller it is getting 54v too

Beyond that there is voltage at pas and at throttle but neither will turn the motor. In fact there is no power at the phase wires

Even using the 6km button gets no power at phases ( but flashes to show it is working at the 880 panel)

Any ideas of the fault?

D

Deleted member 4366

Jeez! You don't get much luck. You need to help a few more old ladies across the road.

Some of the LCDs require that you use the motor for a bit before they figure out the correct voltage. First, you should call Panda. If they can't belp. Try discharging the battery a bit, say to 48v.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, but it measures the voltage in the same way. Regardless of the voltage display, you should try it with everything disconnected except the motor battery and panel. Then try shorting the throttle 5v to the signal wire to see if the motor kicks.

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Tried all that to no avail

But I can be certain the issue is with the controller/panel from panda

Whilst looking for solder I found my original 8 fun, 14a 36v controller. Hooked this up and worked straight away.

Pretty gutless now but at least I'm back on road with my 36v pack !

Will take it up with panda in the morning

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Panda haveb again been super responsive. They had replied by 8.30am today and are sending a new controller and panel out without quibble

Stuff does go wrong - it's the service that makes the difference. So far I'm impressed with theirs