Lidl offers

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I have a basil throw over set, but but I like the practicality of the lidl red & blue set because they looked like they would be practical for shopping, inthat I can take them into the supermarket with me & not have to use carrier bags . also when not filled the they stay fairly flat

personally Im finding that they quite difficult to remove from the rack, from that angle I fear that the clips will break in no time.
I had a set of Wisper panniers in the past with similar clips and they broke quite quickly. They are good for taking off and carrying into shops, I wouldn't want to go back to throwovers.

Shroppielass

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Shrewsbury
Thanks Aldby for posting the pictures of your bike resplendent in Lidl panniers. I wasn’t really questioning that you bought them there, just expressing surprise that you had, as the only pic I saw when I went to their website was the one I posted. I’ve been wanting some inexpensive panniers to use at the supermarket just like Donnoirf, and Lidl’s throw over ones didn’t fit the bill.
I picked some up there today. Without your pics I wouldn’t have known what I was missing.
:)
(Have yet to venture out to the dark shed and see how well they fit)

C

Cyclezee

Thanks Aldby for posting the pictures of your bike resplendent in Lidl panniers. I wasn’t really questioning that you bought them there, just expressing surprise that you had, as the only pic I saw when I went to their website was the one I posted. I’ve been wanting some inexpensive panniers to use at the supermarket just like Donnoirf, and Lidl’s throw over ones didn’t fit the bill.
I picked some up there today. Without your pics I wouldn’t have known what I was missing.
:)
(Have yet to venture out to the dark shed and see how well they fit)
Did you get the ones with spots on Lynda:D

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Did you get the ones with spots on Lynda:D
Now you are deliberately trying to confuse me by switching threads :D :D

But me not THAT brain damaged......I found your post........

And the answer is NO...not yet, cos me still in spain......watch this space.......but first priority is the new bike before the yummy spotty helmet :D
Lynda

Shroppielass

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Shrewsbury
Now you are deliberately trying to confuse me by switching threads :D :D

But me not THAT brain damaged......I found your post........

And the answer is NO...not yet, cos me still in spain......watch this space.......but first priority is the new bike before the yummy spotty helmet :D
Lynda
Confusing me as well Lynda! A little uncanny too, as I've been reading that thread, but not posted that I think that spotty helmet is great. Maybe I should go for the helmet, add some spots to the panniers and have a co-ordinated look? ;)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Confusing me as well Lynda! A little uncanny too, as I've been reading that thread, but not posted that I think that spotty helmet is great. Maybe I should go for the helmet, add some spots to the panniers and have a co-ordinated look? ;)
Men eh ?? :D
Strange species.....who knows how their minds work sometimes :D
As for spotty panniers......fantastic......co-ordinated sounds great to me......helmets and panniers.......shoes and handbags.....yeah why not......go for it :D

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
PS....shroppielass......I just LOVE your signature :)

Shroppielass

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Shrewsbury
Men eh ?? :D
Strange species.....who knows how their minds work sometimes :D
As for spotty panniers......fantastic......co-ordinated sounds great to me......helmets and panniers.......shoes and handbags.....yeah why not......go for it :D
Cue rolling of eyes from the guys :D

donnoirf

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2010
KINGS NORTON BIRMINGHAM
It's surprising how these panniers have completely change the look of my bike and my cycling image! Prior to the lidl sale I had the cyclechic look, funky floral matching everything, helmet, pannier, bell etc etc... which I loved but it's not always practical.

Although I like the practical thing with lidl pannier! I'm kinda starting to look like a royal mail postie!

Ummmm! Cyclechic or cyclepractical????

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
It's surprising how these panniers have completely change the look of my bike and my cycling image! Prior to the lidl sale I had the cyclechic look, funky floral matching everything, helmet, pannier, bell etc etc... which I loved but it's not always practical.

Although I like the practical thing with lidl pannier! I'm kinda starting to look like a royal mail postie!

Ummmm! Cyclechic or cyclepractical????
Absolutely CYCLECHIC :) ......after all.....its still practical

C

Cyclezee

My sincere apologies to Funkylyn and Shropshirelass, I am afraid I was dazzled by your beauty, this lead to my confusion and I forgot who was who;)

Last edited by a moderator:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
My sincere apologies to Funkylyn and Shropshirelass, I am afraid I was dazzled your beauty, this lead to my confusion and I forgot who was who;)
You smooth talker you.....:D :D :D

Victor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 12, 2011
Like a few folk on here I have also bought some of the cycle stuff from Lidl and time will tell how good it is. I also bought one of the motor cycle locks and decided to trace the real maker.
Anyone with this lock will notice two large AA marks, this turns out to be a company in the Netherlands which tests locks like our own Sold Secure.

They gave the Lidl lock a three star (out of five) rating which means it is good for mopeds and scooters, so for a cycle it can't be all that bad but of course viewing the u tube videos if they want to steal it then it's gone no matter what.

However, I have a cunning plan, see Helmet Camera post.

Victor

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Like a few folk on here I have also bought some of the cycle stuff from Lidl and time will tell how good it is. I also bought one of the motor cycle locks and decided to trace the real maker.
Anyone with this lock will notice two large AA marks, this turns out to be a company in the Netherlands which tests locks like our own Sold Secure.

They gave the Lidl lock a three star (out of five) rating which means it is good for mopeds and scooters, so for a cycle it can't be all that bad but of course viewing the u tube videos if they want to steal it then it's gone no matter what.

However, I have a cunning plan, see Helmet Camera post.

Victor
Don't trust rating systems like sold secure, they are to interested in selling their own tat to be impartial.

Victor

Feb 12, 2011
Hi Mussels, thanks for your reply, I went back to the Netherlands site and it seems they do not sell anything but do give a long list of security devices they have tested. However going into a bit more depth I discover that the approved lock which they give a 3 star rating should have a 14mm chain and not the 12mm that Lidl are selling. The site goes on to say (in Dutch) that if you have bought one of these then they are not labled correct and should be returned for a refund.

Victor.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hi Mussels, thanks for your reply, I went back to the Netherlands site and it seems they do not sell anything but do give a long list of security devices they have tested. However going into a bit more depth I discover that the approved lock which they give a 3 star rating should have a 14mm chain and not the 12mm that Lidl are selling. The site goes on to say (in Dutch) that if you have bought one of these then they are not labled correct and should be returned for a refund.

Victor.
I don't know any details about what you have but Sold Secure appears to be impartial as well, in reality it's run by the Master Locksmiths association which in turn is run by the companies that produce the locks that Sold Secure tests. Not quite as independant as it likes people to think.
Trading standards investigated them a while back but their claims were so vague that they couldn't be disproved.

Victor

Feb 12, 2011
I think we can agree that after viewing utubes not much can be done to deter the pro bike thief. Any thoughts on my post in the camcorder for helmet thread. I am stoping oven night near Dover on my way to France with two bikes on a thule 916. Have yet to source a bike friendly place that offer a secure lock up stable also the tea brake stops on the way down south hence my helmet cam idea.

Victor

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I think we can agree that after viewing utubes not much can be done to deter the pro bike thief. Any thoughts on my post in the camcorder for helmet thread. I am stoping oven night near Dover on my way to France with two bikes on a thule 916. Have yet to source a bike friendly place that offer a secure lock up stable also the tea brake stops on the way down south hence my helmet cam idea.

Victor
The Youtube videos are selective and only show the more vulnerable locks breing broken, unfortunately that's most of them though.
The best lock in the world won't help much if they are left on a roof rack though. :(

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
The ALMAX motorbike chain and lock are highly rated. 19mm so resist croppers, I will be getting one when I get the Thule rack for our new motorhome at Easter. They are expensive but deliver an element of peace of mind IMO as they can be passed through tow bar frame and bikes.......