Lifecycle electric bikes- anyone have one??

jaycat

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2010
Hi,

I'm still looking for my first bike, tried a few now, and keep coming back to the Lifecycle. The battery is 36v 17a which is the most powerful one I've come across. As you may remember I need to use throttle all the time.

My only concern is that I can't find any reviews online. So I was wondering if anyone here either has one, or has tried one, or even heard of them and their reputation? :eek:

They look great, powerful battery, but as a newbie, I just don't know. I'm calling in to the shop in Richmond tomorrow to check out the Kalkoffs, not sure what they're like throttle wise. :confused:

Anyway if anyone has a Lifecycle, please can you give me your opinion of it,

thanks,

Jackie. :)

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Jackie,

I have no experience of the Lifecycle E-bike, except it is very similar to the Oxygen Emate City.

If you are planning a visit to 50cycles in Richmond Park, they may have an Oxygen machine for you to try. The battery is a little smaller at 13ah than the Lifecycles 17ah.

The Oxygen Emate costs £1300 delivered, compared to the Lifecycle at £1500 plus delivery.

Both machines are of similar quality, and both are twist 'n' go, the only real choice is between price and battery size. The 13ah battery fitted to the Oxygen Emate will easily complete your 10 mile round trip on throttle only. If you could help the motor just a teeny-bit on the pedals, it might even make it over the railway bridge.

Regarding the Kalkhoff machines. They are pure pedelecs, no throttle is fitted to these machines, If you don't pedal, you don't get any assistance

Hope this helps
Regards
Bob

jaycat

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks Bob, just off to have a look, didn't realize Kalkhoff had no throttle, so I'll try the oxygen. It's too painful to peddle I'm afraid. The Whisper is coming a very close 2nd at the mo.

Battery again just under Lifecycle. Oxygen looks a nice bike too.

Would like to have gone to the cycle show to try more out and maybe buy, but at £15 a ticket with only a few electric bike stands, and a round trip of 150 miles, seems too high for 2 of us. :(

Thanks,

Jackie.

Marchant

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Bath, UK
Jackie, I've been a most satisfied user of an Oxygen eMate City since August, racking up 120+ miles in that time. Admittedly it is my first ebike (although I briefly tried a Kalkhoff) so I don't have much experience, but I have to say I'm delighted with it. I don't really use the throttle but when I have tried it (just to see what it does, really) I've been stunned by the momentum it gives one - it shifts! I'm sure it will do just what you need, it certainly fulfills all my requirements and at £1250 or thereabouts, I reckon it's pretty well priced. Good luck in your search.
M.
x

jaycat

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2010
Hi,

Oxygen was no good as it is only a mountain bike frame, and I need a step through :(

Back to the drawing board :confused: :confused:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Hi,

Oxygen was no good as it is only a mountain bike frame, and I need a step through :(

Back to the drawing board :confused: :confused:
Hi, sorry, the guy in our shop didn't know, but we're told there WILL be a step-thru Oxygen coming on the next delivery.
All the best,
Tim
50cycles

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Jaycat: I was in a very similar position to you (needing a throttle was No.1 on my list, for leg reasons), and I too tried a Kalkhoff. ALMOST did it, but that lack of throttle killed the idea.

I settled for a Wisper, which I believe comes in 'step-through' versions as well. Woking is where PowaBikes live, the best place to try different Wispers, and they have quiet grounds and roads which help.

As I recall, your budget didn't take in either Kalkhoffs or Wispers originally, so I take it you've upped the price ceiling a bit?

Allen.

jaycat

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2010
Hi,

yes budget has kind of gone out the window :rolleyes: That's where we went to try the Wisper Allen, however the other reason I am being swayed toward the Lifecycle is that the battery has a 5 year guarentee. All others have 2. Just wish I could find some decent reviews of the bike :)

Tim, have pm'd you re Oxygen step through. :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
we have 2 Wisper bikes and the step through 705 SE with 14 Ah battery is a superb and powerful bike:)

jaycat

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2010
Eddieo, I can't peddle at all and need to use the throttle the entire time, how do you feel it would do? I would be doing around a 8 mile trip, including a railway bridge, gradient max 10.

Ta, :)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Which bike

Hi Jakie

I don't usually get involved with threads talking about competition these days. However I would strongly advise that you look at and try both Oxygen's bike and the Wisper before you make a decision. One of the bikes you mention is a very cheap copy of a Wisper and at £1,499.00 massively over priced (I thought we had seen the back of them!:eek:). I notice on their web site they mention "their Wispers" which when coupled with the location and their inaccurate reporting of range makes me think they are an old dealer of ours, Electric Bike World, sacked over a year ago. If it is this particular company they managed to achieved such a bad reputation for non existant back up that they have changed their name. If however they have nothing to do with that particular company I apologise.

I dont know much about Bear Print or Freego as they are not BEBA members but if you like the look of them look at Juicy too, I think they are all the same bikes from the same factory and are good value bikes at the price.

Happy hunting!

Regards

David

Last edited:

jaycat

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks very much David, I am awaiting a reply from Tim at 50cycles to see when the oxygen will be in stock, then we'll pop back up and try.

I do like the feel of the wisper, however I like the look and style of the Oxygen, but they both appear to be alike on battery etc. I'd just like to get the feel of the Oxygen before I decide.

I was just put off the Lifecycle as I can find no reviews at all apart from their website, and no other outlet, apart from Amazon. I needed an honest opinion that kind of confirms my own, so thanks. The Gadget show really didn't give any concrete long term evidence either.

My local Wisper dealer was the Woking outlet, and I have tried them, I would just 'tweek' a couple of things on the bike, but the feel of it was great. Also the service appeared to be top class too.

I am much closer, thanks to everyone's opinion here, on making my decision, just a couple more to try I think now.

Thanks all again :)

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
Hi Jaycat, I've been following your search with interest as I have exactly the same requirements (step-thru + throttle only) except my use is to be able to go out with the family.
Please post your final choice, I'm on a limited buget so I think I'll have to get a kit and make my own.
Good luck

jaycat

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2010
Hi Tinker,

I will do :)

I am trying bikes with a 36v 10ah battery as it has to operate throttle only all the time. Just waiting to hear re Oxygen. Have tried this morning to get on and off my old mountain bike.....knees now killing me :( Shame, as I love the look of the mountain bikes.

O well, time to move on and adapt to my needs I guess. :)

Good luck with whatever you choose, and I know you will get all the help you need here, everyone has been so very helpful and patient with my questions. :)

Jackie

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi jaycat,

I'd echo the suggestion to try the Juicy brand, who also do a step-through frame. I have their Sport model, which is on a oversize mountain-bike frame - the 36v motor is very powerful, and I am generally very pleased with it. At full throttle, it can carry my 12.5 stone weight on the flat with no problems. With a fair bit of throttle usage, I get 20 miles range from the bike, but with throttle always-on, I expect you would get 10 miles range from the standard 10Ah battery.

The only item of concern I would have is how an e-bike (of any legal UK brand) will cope with the incline you have to deal with. The best approach is to ensure you borrow a bike from the dealer before parting with your money - and Juicy will let you do that, in a very hilly area!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Eddieo, I can't peddle at all and need to use the throttle the entire time, how do you feel it would do? I would be doing around a 8 mile trip, including a railway bridge, gradient max 10.

Ta, :)
So why are you buying a bike? while most can be used a bit like scooters on the flat and reasonable inclines, I cant think of one bike (maybe an ezee) that can hill climb without rider input....Surely a scooter or e scooter would be a better idea?

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Jaycat:

Like Eddie, I'm a bit puzzled (having knees/feet problems myself!).

Forgive the intrusion, but have you tried all sorts of things already to ASSIST your pedalling input? I'm thinking of mechanical devices, like pedal extenders, big flat pedals (so your feet can point where they like), and possibly even a Gravitydropper-type seatpost, so that you can ride with your legs at a 'good' angle.

If you don't mind sharing it, what's your physical problem? There might be some collective wisdom here (Oldtimer and Eddie too have serious knee 'issues') which could help.

I think you're right to look at electrics but eddie's right, that 100% lack of pedal input really is a big problem for pedal cycles.

Allen.

jaycat

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2010
Morning,

I really don't want an electric scooter as they are too heavy for me and the main reason is that I want to go out with my partner agin over trails, country dirt roads etc. With a scooter I just wouldn't be able to do that. Hence I am after a stable, well built bike akin, as far as possible to a MTB.

In any other circumstances I agree that a scooter may be more suitable, but not my present situation. I have used motorbikes in my early years, and if I had my choice, I would go back to a moped; however my eye sight will not allow me to pass my CBT. It's fine for cycling as I'm not riding that fast, or going to be using on dual carriageways or motorways.

My knee problems are that I have had a chondroplasty operation on one knee, this is scraping the 2 bones and hoping that scar tissue will regrow over the surfaces. Unfortunately it was completely unsucessful, and inturn caused my other knee to over compensate, and I now have the same problem in both knees. The bones move at the incorrect angle, and rub against each other causing severe pain most of the time. They grind on each other instead of sliding correctly over each other. Also there's no cartilage there in either knee. As soon as I move my knees, the bones start to grind against each other, also standing appears to aggrevate the condition too, not sure why, maybe too much pressure on them.The consultant can't do any more until I am much older, and then he'll give me replacements.

I would try pedal extenders, as I can ride my exercise bike for 10 mins with no resistance, with only minimal discomfort, that I can live with. I do think that in the correct gear for a small amount of time, and with no resistance I could, I think allow the pedals to 'spin,' so use the pedal assist in the broadest possible terms. I also think that the straps that go over the top of the feet may help to keep my knees at the correct angle, again they are on my exercise bike. Not sure re gravitydropper, and it's a lot of money to try, and it be wrong.

That's about it, in a nutshell!!!!! :eek: :eek:

:) J.