Lifecycle electric bikes- anyone have one??

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Last edited:

jaycat

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2010
Definate food for thought, buy a new bike that I really like and have the motor fitted; there's a very good independant bike shop down here, that would hopefully be able to fit the motor too. I'd want someone that knows exactly what they are doing.

Thanks, you have made us both think. :) Will go and have a chat with them. I'll let you know what happens in a couple of days, out all day tomorrow.

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
eZee motors are indeed powerful and would be decent choice, especially if in a small wheel which would lower the gearing and make hill climbing easier.

But the most powerful legal motors are made by Heinzmann, especially the steel geared variants. These have 50NM of torque or more (the quieter nylon geared ones have 43NM, which is still greater than the eZee motor which I think develops 36NM, though of course I stand to be corrected on this.)

They are not that widely available, but you should phone electricmountainbikes.com or kinetics.org, both of whom are very knowledgeable about them.

If you go down the eZee route, make sure you go to Onbike to try them out and make absolutely sure that you can find one that meets your needs.

Good luck!

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Thanks Bob, just off to have a look, didn't realize Kalkhoff had no throttle, so I'll try the oxygen. It's too painful to peddle I'm afraid. The Whisper is coming a very close 2nd at the mo.

Battery again just under Lifecycle. Oxygen looks a nice bike too.

Would like to have gone to the cycle show to try more out and maybe buy, but at £15 a ticket with only a few electric bike stands, and a round trip of 150 miles, seems too high for 2 of us. :(

Thanks,

Jackie.
Hi Jackie

Its not difficult to regsiter as trade for the bike show and then entry is free.This Thursday is trade day I think.Im not bothering going as you can look up the list of exhibitors on the cycle show website and get the info directly from the companies directly.

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Having just re-read your post where you refer to riding trails...

Steve Punchard of electricmountainbikes.com is definitely your man.

See ElectricMountainBikes.com: Heinzmann conversion kit

His own conversations look great. They are expensive, but he'd sell you a kit for your own mountain bike for around £1300. This would give you strong throttle-only capability.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Jaycat:

That's fair enough - I have a similar problem with my ankle bones (rubbing against each other without cartilage to protect) and it is EXCRUCIATING - luckily my physio and I devised a series of exercises to pull the talus away from the end of the fib., which helps, but not always.

Just an aside re. the Gravitydropper: I have just bought a second one from ebay (secondhand of course) so that I can fettle up my push bike again. It was £97, which is still a lot, but much less than the full US price. There are cheaper versions on the market, and it might help. On the exercise bike, do you have the saddle-to-pedal distance longer than you would on an ordinary bike? If so, and if it helps, then some sort of seatpost adjuster might be useful.

Don't dismiss it yet, and if you do decide to try that route, I'll dig out the prices for the cheaper version. There's one that works like an 'office chair', i.e. with some sort of hydraulics. Apparently not quite as sturdy as the Gravitydropper (which is just a big spring), but unless you're tearing up and down mountains, it should do.

Pain is not a good thing.

Allen.

jaycat

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2010
Very quick reply, as only just arrived back from day training;
thanks for all the links re conversion kits, I am passing them through to the independant bike shop I visited. Really to see what he feels he can put the motor on.

Allen, many thanks, I think you have just found a very important clue, I do indeed have the saddle to peddle distance longer, I've never really realised that before :eek: That really gives me something to work with :) Great thinking!!

Aside, sorry to hear that you have the same problem with your ankles, it is extremely painful, I try not to allow it to get me down, but it's not always easy. :(

MyPump

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2010
Hi,

yes budget has kind of gone out the window :rolleyes: That's where we went to try the Wisper Allen, however the other reason I am being swayed toward the Lifecycle is that the battery has a 5 year guarentee. All others have 2. Just wish I could find some decent reviews of the bike :)

Tim, have pm'd you re Oxygen step through. :)
Hi,
I just thought I would ask if you had made a choice on your bike yet ? I had tried the A2b Metro and Wisper both of which are nice bike but have since been speaking with Lifecycle who sound a really good company and the bikes look/sound great. I have not tested a LifeCycle but Suzi Perry from The Gadget Show thought it was great.

Keep us updated and let me know if you need a contact at LifeCycle. As I too have been looking and would need both throttle only and pedelec.

Andrew

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Andrew

If you would like to email me I would be happy give you some info on Lifecycle.

The other bikes that have been mentioned in this thread have great back up and are all worth considering.

Best regards

David

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I just visited the Lifecycle website earlier and had a look at their offerings, mighty impressive bikes and company by the looks of it. The bikes are a bit outside of my budget unfortunately though.

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Apart from the battery size, what is impressive?

The specification seems to be a collection of unsubstantiated boasts:

'high torque' - what figure?

'high tension'- what is meant?

'most powerful' - presumably they mean peak power, how much?

Etc.

The bikes look very overpriced and oversold.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Apart from the battery size, what is impressive?

The specification seems to be a collection of unsubstantiated boasts:

'high torque' - what figure?

'high tension'- what is meant?

'most powerful' - presumably they mean peak power, how much?

Etc.

The bikes look very overpriced and oversold.
What got my attention was the battery power and reasonable size, also the massive quoted range, up to 80 miles assisted, which I'm sure you have to take with a pinch of salt, but still. They have the off-road option too for speeds above 15mph probably, but no information on what speeds it can do. The bikes look quality bikes, well made and tick all the right boxes.. the only downside is the weight, at 24kg a bit heavy but then they are MTB frames.

I agree with your last comment though, I think at £1.5k they are a tad over priced. They do come with a 2 year warranty and 1 year on the electrical tho, if it was 2 years on both I might be tempted.

MyPump

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2010
I do think e-bikes are expensive but then again so are cars and motorbikes.

I found the LifeCycle e-bikes no more expensive compared to similar offerings and I have spoken to them a few times now, very helpful indeed.

I am still in two minds as to an e-bike mainly to do with finances. I have seen reviews on most bikes but not one for the LifeCycle so would be good to hear if anyone has one.

MyPump

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2010
Hi Andrew

If you would like to email me I would be happy give you some info on Lifecycle.

The other bikes that have been mentioned in this thread have great back up and are all worth considering.

Best regards

David
Hi David

Just wondered if you received my email as not heard anything back as yet but know you are probably very busy.

Kind regards
Andrew

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I do think e-bikes are expensive but then again so are cars and motorbikes.I found the LifeCycle e-bikes no more expensive compared to similar offerings and I have spoken to them a few times now, very helpful indeed.

I am still in two minds as to an e-bike mainly to do with finances. I have seen reviews on most bikes but not one for the LifeCycle so would be good to hear if anyone has one.
You really just need to get out there and try a few of the established bikes recommended on here......

Some bikes have little or no owner feedback probably because: A: there are no owners on here? (probably with good reason) B: none of us are fooled by the rhetoric in the advertising:rolleyes:

There are good cheap and expensive bikes out there the choice is yours...

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Lifecycle

I've been continuing my research into e-bikes and the companies behind them...I think this is probably the most difficult and confusing purchase I've ever attempted to make!

Whilst Lifecycle do indeed look impressive bikes in terms of battery size and performance, I can't help but think these bikes are a rip-off of the Wisper design, as they look very similar. They lack the dealer network and local servicing support Wisper has though. They also don't have the established reputation Wisper has and the availability of parts longer term might be a problem if they folded.

All this has to be considered I think when making such an expensive purchase.

I guess is it very difficult for newcomers to this industry who need people to buy their products but people are reluctant to take a chance and prefer established products. At least lifecycle offers a 2 year no-quibble warranty on the bike and all it's parts including the battery, so that stands in their favour.