Lightest possible conversion

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
Rear 36v 201rpm hub 2.2kg
36v 6.8ah small bottle battery 1.3kg (25 mile range - give or take)
Controller, pas and display - say another 0.5kg

Put the above together with a newer hybrid bike, with carbon forks, remove the front derailleur and shifter and switch to a single chainring - you should have a bike that weighs between 12-14kg.

Put some quality wheels on the bike and you will probably shave 0.5kg off the total weight. Add carbon seat post and handlebars, lightweight saddle - save another 0.5kg.

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
Regarding duty and vat - generally, the duty payable is around 3.5% for eBike kit, payable on the cost of the goods plus shipping charges. VAT is payable on the duty inclusive costs. So, on a kit costing £200 including shipping, you will pay £7 in duty and £41.40 in VAT.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Front hub 1.2kg Aikema 75sx 100mm d/o 201rpm/36v.
Front hub 1.7kg Bafang 320/250d 100mm d/o 201rpm/36v.
Keyde rear cst with inbuilt controller 2.1kg, 205,225 or 250rpm/36v.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am toying with using the Dapu M65M crank motor in the next bike.
it weighs 2.2kgs all-in. Deduct the weight of a normal crankset, we are talking about adding 1.8kg to the bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The light front options are a serious and obvious contender for a town or flat commute bike with zero chain drive impact/wear.

• Agree

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
I love the packaging, but the price......

• :D

LithiumFan

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2019
Herefordshire
I have an AKM75 in the front wheel of my Airnimal. I don't do speed but it gets me up 1mile long hill (1 in 15 ish) no problem so long as I pedal too. It doesn't seem to affect the handling much just need a bit more umph to lift it up the door step.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have an AKM75 in the front wheel of my Airnimal. I don't do speed but it gets me up 1mile long hill (1 in 15 ish) no problem so long as I pedal too. It doesn't seem to affect the handling much just need a bit more umph to lift it up the door step.
I expect you have a 201rpm speed winding that makes all the difference.

People ride a hub bike and then condemn them because they don't climb well, like yours if the correct rpm model is bought then they are good to do the job.
Bikes shops and larger stores who have jumped on the bandwagon because they now know that future sales could be huge as well as keeping them in business just don't have clue about hub bikes, that's why so many are blinkered and only recommend the ugly over size crank motor look. They just have no idea.

• :D

LithiumFan

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2019
Herefordshire
I expect you have a 201rpm speed winding that makes all the difference.
You're right Nealh.
I used to have a 2speed Xiongda in the Airnimal (wound for 24in wheels) but I have put it into a 26in wheel bike and although it's still excellent I have noticed that it only automatically switches to low ratio at about 2mph slower than before at about 5mph. It goes to show that if you want torque get a slower wound motor and look at the view whilst travelling at the lower speed.

Reactions: Nealh

Matteo from Bikee Bike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2020
Some of you told us that they haven't been able to make their pledge because of some problems with the shipping options.
In particular Countries such as:
- Switzerland
- UK
- Norway
- Sweden
- Ireland

were not included in the shipping options.

To resolve that we created a special perk for the
250W EARLY BIRD kit with WIDE SHIPPING OPTIONS.

You can proceed with that perk and then, after the campaign we'll send you a survey asking for your bike detail. In that survey you can tell us that you want to upgrade your system from 250W to 500W or other powers and we'll send you a payment request for the price difference.

We're evaluating to add the power upgrades in the accessories but that will take a while...

Thanks,
Matteo