Looking for a cheap and easy fix kit for this bike

Stu761

Pedelecer
May 27, 2020
Hi I'm new here looking to dip my toe into converting my old bike into an ebike. I only need it for 2 one hour journeys to and from work. Up a big hill in the evening. So only roads. Probably would like to spend around 350 if that's possible. Front conversion or back I'm not really sure. Whatever is easiest really. Can it be done to this bike? Also it has 1 gear. Thanks in advance

Attachments

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Most odd, looks as if it has 2 front gears, but just the single at the back. I guess you never use the inner at the front (especially with no derailleur to pick up the tension.

Do NOT go for the big cheap direct drive units often on ebay. They are not suitable for most things, and need a powerful battery so don't end up that cheap. Look for other posts around on here; several people have fallen into the trap and then posted here for help. (I was lucky not to.)

You'll be lucky to get within £350, especially as you'll need a reasonable battery. You don't say how far in the hour, or whether you can recharge in the day between rides. Yosepower might just get you there. I'd recommend Woosh, but you won't meet the £350 price point with things from them.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What speeds do you think you travel at ?

Reactions: Stu761

Stu761

Pedelecer
May 27, 2020
Ok thanks alot. Speed is not huge. I just want a little help. Probably won't be able to charge between journeys during the day Unless I can find somewhere my boss won't notice! Maybe I'm better off buying a second hand ebike off eBay? I just thought this way would be cheaper.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The cheapest best kit is probably the Yose power all in with a battery though the motor windings have been a bit fast for good hill climbing ability, someone did say they are now using a slower rpm winding more suitable for hills.
Generally £500 is needed for a conversion kit.

Second hand can be a minefield as you never can trust the seller and certainly not regarding battery condition.

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
yose are code 14-15 now spinning out on a 26"just above 15 mph good torque and efficient running at top speed! and the battery would be just about good enough for your requirements

Last edited: