Looking for a folding ebike to do 26 miles per day.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
As per the title. Prefer something with 20" wheels but could do 16".

13 miles each way to work.

Needs to cover the mileage comfortably. I might be able to charge at work but would need an extra charger that could charge throughout the day.

Upto £1,000 to spend.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Should have said. I'm currently considering an A2B Kuo

Last edited:

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks. Will check it out. What's the range on this?

C

Cyclezee

Thanks. Will check it out. What's the range on this?
The manufactures claim 40 miles, but that is in ideal conditions. Range is dependant on many factors e.g. terrain, rider weight, rider input, power setting etc.
There is also the option to upgrade the battery from 9 to 11.6Ah for £100.

The charger is quite small and light so could be carried easily, but a second charger is available if required.

D

Deleted member 4366

I have to ask the obvious. Why does it have to be a folding one if you ride it all the way ftom home to work?

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
The manufactures claim 40 miles, but that is in ideal conditions. Range is dependant on many factors e.g. terrain, rider weight, rider input, power setting etc.
There is also the option to upgrade the battery from 9 to 11.6Ah for £100.

The charger is quite small and light so could be carried easily, but a second charger is available if required.
Thanks. How much extra for the second charger?

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Hi Leccy,

The Kudos secret can cover around 25miles and I sell it with an extra charger at £700. If you're happy to pick up I will lend you the bike for a couple of days to do the journey you intend to commute. Give me a call or drop me an email if you're interested, http://londonelectricbike.com/
Thanks for the offer. Will check out the bike. Cannot pop in as I'm based in E Yorkshire.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
I have to ask the obvious. Why does it have to be a folding one if you ride it all the way ftom home to work?
We don't have secure bike parking at work. The bikes would be left out in all weathers and we also have a history of theft.

With a folder I could take it in and put it somewhere safe.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
small bikes suffer more wear and tear, possibly needing more looking after and are less comfortable to ride a couple of hours a day. Most ready made folders are not designed for heavy duty 10,000-15,000 miles a year. Do keep that in mind. A conversion will be better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leccy
C

Cyclezee

Hi again Leccy,
It sounds like indoor space is limited at work and this is your main reason for wanting a folder, but just how tight is it, could you squeeze in a 20" wheel compact like the eZee Street?
Full specification here http://www.cyclezee.com/ezee-street-mk2.html
If you are interested we might be able to supply one within your budget.
Street.jpg

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
The Freego folder is a ruggedly built folder that can go 50 miles with the 16ah battery option. It would cost £1,099 with the 16ah battery and £899 with the 10ah. The 10ah would give you a 30 mile range. I would pick a folder with at least a 12ah+ battery to cover that kind of distance. Range suffers slightly in winter driving conditions. One should take that into account no matter what company you buy your bike from.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
I'm probably the only person here not trying to sell you a bike. A year on from purchase my Kuo has been faultless. It's just nice, it looks nice and feels nice and runs nicely. You will like this aspect if you are accustomed to having nice things and enjoy the undefinable quality of nice shoes or well fitting clothes in nice materials, understand why a Vacheron Constantin is just so nice ,and having your shoes, gloves,belt and watch strap in the same material is just nice. It's nicer than a nice thing from Niceland. Buy one and you will not be unhappy.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Hi again Leccy,
It sounds like indoor space is limited at work and this is your main reason for wanting a folder, but just how tight is it, could you squeeze in a 20" wheel compact like the eZee Street?
Full specification here http://www.cyclezee.com/ezee-street-mk2.html
If you are interested we might be able to supply one within your budget.
View attachment 11550
Looks to big I'm afraid. Thanks for the post.

The Freego folder is a ruggedly built folder that can go 50 miles with the 16ah battery option. It would cost £1,099 with the 16ah battery and £899 with the 10ah. The 10ah would give you a 30 mile range. I would pick a folder with at least a 12ah+ battery to cover that kind of distance. Range suffers slightly in winter driving conditions. One should take that into account no matter what company you buy your bike from.
Thanks. Will check this out.

I'm probably the only person here not trying to sell you a bike. A year on from purchase my Kuo has been faultless. It's just nice, it looks nice and feels nice and runs nicely. You will like this aspect if you are accustomed to having nice things and enjoy the undefinable quality of nice shoes or well fitting clothes in nice materials, understand why a Vacheron Constantin is just so nice ,and having your shoes, gloves,belt and watch strap in the same material is just nice. It's nicer than a nice thing from Niceland. Buy one and you will not be unhappy.
Thanks. Which Kuo did you get and what's the typical range on it?

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Mine is the 24 volt version in silver. I can do my favourite run round Loch Katrine 12 miles each way with some power left. I am light & fit for my 70 years so pedal a fair bit as well. The charger is small and light so can be carried easily. On other trips I find that Cafes etc will often let me top up while in for food. So I have never actually run out of power yet. The latest Kuo is 36 volts so should perform a little better. I have a few mods on mine, different saddle, grips and a steering damper. I fitted mudguards and a lightweight rack. It has run perfectly with only normal maintenance and minor adjustments.

D

Deleted member 4366

Any range that anybody gets out of their bike is relevant to them and their particular rides. It bears no relevance to what a different rider would get in different circumstances.

As a very general rule, if you average everything out, regardless of which bike, a 10Ah 36v battery will do at least 30 miles. There's some people who are light and fit and have flat rides that would be able to get 100 miles from one. On the other hand, in extreme conditions, you could empty one in 10 miles.

The differences in bikes does make a difference to efficiency, but it's insignificant compared with external factors.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Looks to big I'm afraid. Thanks for the post.

Thanks. Will check this out.

i do 13 miles each way to work - it's hilly, 8 miles of it is a dangerous b road i do as fast as physically possible because cars pass me too closely (it has no shoulder). it's also hilly. i do it on a racer with an oxygen kit (rear hub bpm with 36v 15A), it typicaly takes 40 minutes or so. i wouldnt want todo 20 mph average on a 20 folder, but i may be wrong (it may be more stable than i know). but as aleft field option - what about converting an old bike with a cheap hub motor kit - with a good lock it wouldnt be worth stealing

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the OP is asking for a near impossible bike. It has to do 26 miles a day, 8,000 miles a year at the maximum legal speed or above in rain or shine, on 20" wheels, left to the elements all year round, and is cheap enough so not worth nicking!
it's mad.
The guy who wants to supply such a bike is even madder.

D

Deleted member 4366

The reason he wants a folding bike is so that it won't be left out all day or nicked.

It's doable because I used my Dahon Jetstream for a couple of weeks to do my 28 mile commute, though I didn't fold it and take it inside, which would be a lot of hassle.