Looking for a folding ebike to do 26 miles per day.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
I just got back from riding 16 km on a 12" wheeled folder (fat tyres) and it has a smoother ride on normal roads than a road bike with 27" wheels, on the proviso you don't drop the entire 12" wheel in a pot hole :)
There is one drawback to smaller tires they wearout faster.
you may be right in terms of smoothness, shcwalbe make big apples in 349 i believe, ive been on something called a raleigh RSW belonging to a friend - being big apples it also felt freerolling - up to about 12 to 15 mph - after that - regardless of what AtoB or anyone says, rolling resistance becomes an issue, for whatever reason, which is unfortunate

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Leccy, cwah has got the T-shirt for short, medium and long commutes. His solution is sound. You run very little risk doing the same while saving yourself a pile of cash. A used full sus like his can be got for £300, add an Oxygen kit and a couple of hours will get you a comfortable and competent transport for your distance for under £800. Alternatively, get a Woosh Big Bear.

Reactions: Scott clarke

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Leccy, cwah has got the T-shirt for short, medium and long commutes. His solution is sound. You run very little risk doing the same while saving yourself a pile of cash. A used full sus like his can be got for £300, add an Oxygen kit and a couple of hours will get you a comfortable and competent transport for your distance for under £800. Alternatively, get a Woosh Big Bear.
i more or less did this, its entirely doable, even if youre not very tecnically minided (I'm not), but can be more difficult than it seems, it took me a month to figure out how to make the PAS work on my bottom bracket (and i ended up having to replace the bottom bracket), then there's teh issue of getting hydraulic brakes to work with sensors. Suddenly, then, that £400 saving begins to look less important.

Reactions: Leccy

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks but I don't have the skill or patience to do this myself.

Looking to buy outright. Still set on the Oxygen but will check out the Woosh Big Bear and the other model suggested as an alternative.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Also I should mention I weigh 10 stone.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
where are you based? if it's not hilly, the woosh Sirocco is a good, reliable option for light assist, all weather commuting.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sirocco

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Big Bear has too much power for you, that'd kill the pleasure of cycling.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
Also I should mention I weigh 10 stone.
I use an oxydrive on my full sus mtb build, essentially the same as on the oxygen 13ah mtb. At 15 stone it gets me along at 23 mph ( on 26" wheels) without fuss and can haul me up most hills without too much (of my) effort. It should be able to wizz you along much quicker.
If I needed to do more on road cycling, I'd certainly be considering the oxydrive MTB but best try before you buy.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Any alternatives to the Oxygen bike before I progress with that?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you should also take a look at the woosh zephyr-b before deciding. It delivers power much more subtly than the Big Bear.
It has a rear hub BPM motor, more power than most e-mtbs, 20A controller, in frame hidden 36V 10AH battery and both front and rear hydaulic brakes with brake sensors. It's not as heavy and better equipped than most e-mtbs and it folds. It's also cheaper than a lot of e-mtbs with hydraulic brakes.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-b