Magic Pie kits and Alien Ocean

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Ah OK you are going for 74v. I'm running 48v so easier to handle. With those sealed parallel packs you cant get to the individual cell so you won't know if one is weak. BTW sometimes these packs come out of the factory with a weak cell so I think its important to be able to monitor individual cells, I would have gone for individual cell packs.

You only need a balance system using the Meanwells, they are CC/CV...the current tapers near end of charge, so set PSU votlage to equal overall pack voltage at full charge and balance out at end of charge. The balance system does not need to remain connected just the LVC scheme, I disconnect the BM6 boards and plug in the Battery Medics. The Medics are set to discharge the cell at anything over 4.1v.....so if a cell is slow to reach full charge the Medic holds back the other cells in the pack until it cathes up.

I understand the frustration in trying to get started but with Lipo I think its important to know what you are doing and try to get it right to start with, if it where A123 cells I would not be concerned....

Anyhow good luck, please post on how you get on.

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
Ah OK you are going for 74v. I'm running 48v so easier to handle. With those sealed parallel packs you cant get to the individual cell so you won't know if one is weak. BTW sometimes these packs come out of the factory with a weak cell so I think its important to be able to monitor individual cells, I would have gone for individual cell packs.
Well, the packs themselves are not paralleled, they are just series packs, that I am going to parallel up using the balance leads. So I will have access to each individual cell. Yes, I had heard that, some times these packs come out with very low individual cells so I will be going over each pack with an AVO first to check the individual cells via the balance leads, and then if necessary bring each cell up slowly and individually, charging via the balance leads, one cell at a time. I have recovered mates packs before in this way, where single cells have arrived a bit lower than others.

HobbyKing Online R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 10S 25~50C Lipo Pack

You only need a balance system using the Meanwells, they are CC/CV...the current tapers near end of charge, so set PSU votlage to equal overall pack voltage at full charge and balance out at end of charge. The balance system does not need to remain connected just the LVC scheme, I disconnect the BM6 boards and plug in the Battery Medics. The Medics are set to discharge the cell at anything over 4.1v.....so if a cell is slow to reach full charge the Medic holds back the other cells in the pack until it cathes up.
Yes, tppacks, do a 'bolt on' addition of the Meanwell psu's that gives a bit more control to a MW.
http://www.tpempacks.com/proddetail.asp?prod=EBKE-y-MW-CHG-CNTRLR.

Trouble is I am using 10series packs, and I am yet to see any boards /Battery Medic units etc for more than 6 0r 8 cells.

I understand the frustration in trying to get started but with Lipo I think its important to know what you are doing and try to get it right to start with, if it where A123 cells I would not be concerned....
I had looked at individual A123 cells from one of the ES posters/suppliers..(CellMan), but using A123's you have a lot more weight to deal with and pack building a lot more complex...structure wise. I realise the risks with LiPo'...but also they are not as bad as the very early packs

Anyhow good luck, please post on how you get on.
Will do...just waiting for e-mails sent to motor suppliers in the USA, to see who cam get me a 5304. Otherwise it will be one of the new Xlyte sensor free High Torque motors and controller

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
That's a nice pack! 37v at 1.3Kg....hmmmm I could build a neat long range 15Ah pack for just under 4Kg.....

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Interesting, the Hyperion EOS-1420i is also highly recommended on ES, I wonder how it compares...

NeilP

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2010
had looked at that one too, but the iCharger is 'supposed to be' 1000W to the 550 of the 1420i