Major Momentum New Supplier on Ebay

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I'm sorry Mark but I have a difficulty with that statement. Surely nobody sells ebikes purely as a charity?

Indalo

Hatti seems to....:confused::rolleyes:

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
I'm sorry Mark but I have a difficulty with that statement. Surely nobody sells ebikes purely as a charity?

Indalo
... just what I was thinking as I read it ...

If one is 'in business' and doesn't make any money, is one someone I should do business with in the first place? :confused:

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire

Indalo
No-one sells as a charity, but in the same token no-one is making money.

There is huge ongoing investment in staff, point of sale, marketing, R&D, warehousing, spares, stock, PR....the list goes on. It takes vast amounts of money to get up and running and continue whilst the market is still in its infancy! We are all still in it, as we hope that one day all the hard work and money that has been put in will come into fruition. But for the time being, no-one is making any money.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
I think Mark means that if you are in the business for the long term you are not going to make money from day one.

You are going to need to invest in stock,marketing,research and developement,training,a few loss leaders to get the name out there etc.

Amazon lost millions for years before turning into the monster money machine it is today,

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Over 100 posts ... more than 2000 views ... they do say that any publicity is good publicity! ... but hey ... what do I know! :D

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
... just what I was thinking as I read it ...

If one is 'in business' and doesn't make any money, is one someone I should do business with in the first place? :confused:
Hi Davanti,
Its not to say no-one will make money, in time they will. But you need deep enough pockets to sustain your business until such a time, as it isn't here yet!

thanks

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Hi Davanti,
Its not to say no-one will make money, in time they will. But you need deep enough pockets to sustain your business until such a time, as it isn't here yet!

thanks
Hi Mark ... point well taken ... I hope you get into profit sooner rather than later!
Don

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hi Mark ... point well taken ... I hope you get into profit sooner rather than later!
Don
Thanks Don! We are on track! :)

I just hope that any new entrants to the market understand the huge commitment they are making, for their own sake as well as the consumers!

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
As noted by other posters the most important thing for purchasers is backup when things go wrong which they will.
Buyers need to have warrenty cover and then the ability to buy spares at sensible prices afterwards.
The interesting rear wheel battery may be a challenge for this - I wonder how the battery can be replaced when it eventually wears out?
Can new cells somehow be inserted or will the whole back wheel need to be replaced?
Hopefully the vendors have looked ahead and anticipated this part of their business.
Like seems like a decent young chap and as I have posted before I wish him well.
We mustn't forget that purchasers have free will in what they buy and have to take responsibility for their own purchases.
Customers have to do their own research and take their own risks.
It is not fair to single out the Vendor only for critism people have to enter the market with eyes open and make hard decisions before handing over their money.

Barry.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Customers have to do their own research and take their own risks.
It is not fair to single out the Vendor only for critism people have to enter the market with eyes open and make hard decisions before handing over their money.

Barry.
I agree and this thread could be a valuable resource to prospective customers research.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I agree and this thread could be a valuable resource to prospective customers research.
Love to see it in reverse then, and see how you would feel being the butt of everyone's humour....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Barry.
No-one has done this Barry, being critical of a supplier doesn't mean the critic has no criticism of those who buy from that supplier. I think in most cases they will also have some criticism of customers who don't do their homework.

There is a very real difference though, ethics apply in the seller's case but not in consumer buying decisions.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
But Tony its not right to say once this thread slides of the page it is away into obscurity...a Google search for info and up it will pop

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Quote Originally Posted by indalo View Post
Indalo
Hatti seems to....:confused::rolleyes:
'Ang on a sec, Eddieo, CHARITY?
I made at least £5 on every lead acid Angel I sold last year - certainly enough for a Chinese takeaway every night....

But yes, it does have to be a long term thing - you have to walk before you can run. Electric bikes aren't things that never go wrong - we all know that - and you've got to have deep enough pockets not just for infrastructure but to cover mistakes. If I said we'd never made none that wouldn't be true, and in our first year we didn''t make much, but we're getting there, profit wise. The chateau in France will have to wait a bit longer, that's all......(don't worry Eddieo, we're not coming to Benidorm...)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But Tony its not right to say once this thread slides of the page it is away into obscurity...a Google search for info and up it will pop
True, but if someone is searching in future so doing their homework, they need to know so they can check if the problems have been put right. Later posts and reviews will show that if it's happened. People should not be kept in the dark and all the comments are based on truth.

No harm is done when a company puts it's house in order. Were you around for the harsh comments about the early 905, aka Knight Rider? David didn't complain, he did what was necessary and has been deservedly hugely successful.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Love to see it in reverse then, and see how you would feel being the butt of everyone's humour....
a

The Horse has already bolted and everone can see it has only three legs, except you, who has had a miraculous change of heart. unlike you my views have stayed consistent!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
No change of heart, bikes still rubbish and video was hilarious, but enough is enough, I have never had a wish to damage this young man commercially...... My comments still stand, some very harsh and judgemental attitudes on here. whatever happened to the milk of human kindness