Major Momentum New Supplier on Ebay

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Going on Lukes statement, I think that a lot of the criticism is justified.
He is not a cycle mechanic or electrician by his own account.
He will need to learn an awful lot to run a successful e-bike business and not let his customers down.
He makes no mention of support, repairs etc. and with a stock of only 20 imported machines we are right to have our doubts.
Maybe he has arranged for spare parts, but makes no mention of it. In any case, does he have the qualifications to adequately provide such a service, or the financial wherewithal to contract repairs out?
As he says, Major Momentum is a business coaching service, and I get a sort of Dragon's Den moment when it appears to me that the main purpose of this new venture is simply selling and making a profit, rather than establishing a large, viable, knowlegeable e-bike business.
Anyway, I wish him good luck if he is sincere, but he needs to know that his entry point to this field is where the Arthur Daly's are found.

Majician2000

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2012
Power Assisted Electric Bicycles | eBay

My very limited knowledge in this field may be incorrect, but these guys look like they have had a big shipment of bikes from China and have come to market with them, though they are using 8fun motors, and reckon they have been in the market since 2006!!

"Formed in 2006, those of us at Major Momentum Ltd are no strangers to life as competitive players in the corporate world. We established ourselves on the back of 15-years experience in Fast Moving Consumer Goods retail and enjoyed great commercial success vending Sports and Music related merchandise at International events across Europe.

The point is that we know a fantastic product when we see one. We also understand what it means to offer unbeatable service. We are a company that values customer service above all and as such, we are happy to stay in contact with you and answer any questions you might have regarding our E-Bikes. Please let us know if you can find a better offer anywhere else in England online"
Hello,

I am grateful for some of the criticism I have received and will endeavour to improve the offer. We are indeed capable of addressing some of the problems the enthusiasts here have foreseen. We assemble the bikes, test and deliver them ourselves to guarantee customer satisfaction. If the wiring were to fail at a later date then we would obviously give a full refund or replace a bike as part of our 1 year guarantee. Tyre punctures would also be a massive pain to deal with so we offer tube sealant as part of the assembly service to minimise chance of a puncture.

As for the video, well, I am glad most people found it funny, that's what we're going for. My Dad is 60 and has a bad back and knee so cut him a little slack! I will admit that he doesn't do the fold-able bike a great service and we are working on a more professional video.

Anyway please be aware that the more harsh and unfounded criticism is damaging my livelihood. I genuinely want to provide a great product and service to consumers. I have only gotten positive feedback from those who have tested the bikes.

I just wanted to let everyone know that the people involved with Major Momentum are decent, honest people,

thanks,

Luke

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
with a background in business coaching I cant think of a better example of how not to do it! They need to learn to shut it. And ID better products, end of.

I think they need my wifes expertise......

Majician2000

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2012
Hi Eddieo,

The business coaching background was merely a point I was making in relation to the experience we have had in retail and to clear up the misunderstanding that we have been trading e-bikes since 2006.

In fact, I have just started this business and used Major Momentum finances as a means of making an initial purchase, I had to start somewhere.

Also, with regards to the frequent defamation of the bikes themselves, I would hope others would reserve judgement until they tried them out.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Defamation?..ergo slander/Libel? for a bike with battery in rear wheel. For heavens sake give us a break!lol

Last edited:

Majician2000

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2012
Okay 'defamation' was over the top. My Apologies.

Based on my experience so far I have no reason to doubt the quality of these Bikes, they have received a positive response from the people who have ridden them.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Okay 'defamation' was over the top. My Apologies.

Based on my experience so far I have no reason to doubt the quality of these Bikes, they have received a positive response from the people who have ridden them.
Thats fine..you are young and I understand. BUT this is an enthusiasts electric bike forum, with some very knowledgeable and helpful members.its all we do is discuss e bikes a lot of us are passionate and if we dont like something will share it..... Your product came to our notice for one reason only and that was the video. It is terrible, honestly awful, you appear clueless. Do yourself a favour and remove it until such time you can replace it with something better, you will probably sell more bikes immediately. Some good advice in this thread, I suggest you look at it carefully. personally I think you are revealing far to much...

want to see what bikes are selling and popular, look at Kudos and others, 1000 bikes in his first year. others have started just like you, with a container and built successful businesses. But you need to do the home work and market research, then introduce a good product that appeals...

good luck!lol

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Can I put my two pennorth in, and in context as well.
There are plenty of people out there who would love a European Eddieo-approved bike.
They simply don't have the cash. We spent much our first year selling two lead acid models - the Angel and 320, both priced at £299. I'm sure most of you would fall about laughing if you tried one, as they are built like East European tanks and weigh about the same, with no gears, great fat tyres and huge seats. Nevertheless, we sold a lot, had a genuinely low repair rate and only one returned as not suitable. Nearly all of them were sold to customers on truly tight budgets - nurses, care workers and factory workers, most of them sensible, intelligent people just trying to earn a crust (often on a minimum wage) with no easy transport home at 5 in the morning. We didn't sell them as top specification bikes, the price reflected this and we made it very clear that there were disadvantages - namely the weight. I think we gained a lot of respect for this and many people told us how much easier their lives had become. There IS a market for budget bikes because people simply don't have the cash for top spec models. My point is that its OK to sell them - just be honest about their limitations.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Oh...don't you will make me cry.... sob sob.

Main tropic of conversation on here is budget bikes? they are plugged constantly....You appear not to like discussions about anything else, probably because it makes yours look what they are, basic and cheap

Most people would rather spend cash on cars, some of us have different priorities and likes

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Blimey...90 posts....
Yep....But at least they took good advice and removed the damaging video. Dont know how everyone else feels but I would not mind seeing this thread removed and give them a break.....

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Yep....But at least they took good advice and removed the damaging video. Dont know how everyone else feels but I would not mind seeing this thread removed and give them a break.....
I want to agree with you, but my jury is still out at the moment.
It may be youth and inexperience on their part, but the advert itself was too full of gushing words and puff, reminiscient of other bad examples. Clearly they do not have the experience or qualifications to say they know a 'fantastic product when they see it'. Their previous trade experience has been in 'fast moving retail' not a good background for this sort of business.
The bike itself has that odd battery in the back wheel, which I think will be problematical, especially when it wears out.
The price of the bike is too high for a low end budget model. As others have said, conventional e-bikes sold by established concerns with good reputations do not cost much more.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
No sorry it needs to stay, this is how social media is suppose to work. Its a 2 way thing for companies to iron out any issues with customers, to be transparent and open as our regulars do. I have a BnB and we have the evil Trip Advisor, where we cant reply to punter, even the ones who havint stayed. Now that is where things are not fair, I would love to air problems with customers in public like this.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I want to agree with you, but my jury is still out at the moment.
It may be youth and inexperience on their part, but the advert itself was too full of gushing words and puff, reminiscient of other bad examples. Clearly they do not have the experience or qualifications to say they know a 'fantastic product when they see it'. Their previous trade experience has been in 'fast moving retail' not a good background for this sort of business.
The bike itself has that odd battery in the back wheel, which I think will be problematical, especially when it wears out.
The price of the bike is too high for a low end budget model. As others have said, conventional e-bikes sold by established concerns with good reputations do not cost much more.
I disagree in removing this thread I think the consumer needs to be aware of the dangers of buying from these companies that do not offer any after sales, spares and little knowledge of e-bikes.
The View that they are new to the business, and should be given the benefit of the doubt should not be a option, censoring honest, unbiased views on their product would be wrong.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
This thread is mainly about a silly video that does not exist any more

Nothing stopping anyone starting a fresh thread on the subject of the bikes, we are not talking censorship here...or a get out of jail free card.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think they'd hate that just as much though Eddie, drawing even more attention. This one is on the way out and will soon be off the page.

Hero Eco

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2012
Gloucestershire
I wish them luck, if they are going to support customers correctly with spares, technical advice etc.

One thing I will say is that none of the UK e-bike companies make a profit, even some who have been going for many years. If you want to become a reputable supplier and do things properly you need deep pockets and shouldn't expect a return for a few years (at least!).

The only suppliers who make a profit are those who are in and out, buy bikes, sell on ebay (or other means) and then disappear leaving all the problems behind. This does the industry no favor's.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain

One thing I will say is that none of the UK e-bike companies make a profit, even some who have been going for many years. If you want to become a reputable supplier and do things properly you need deep pockets and shouldn't expect a return for a few years (at least!).

I'm sorry Mark but I have a difficulty with that statement. Surely nobody sells ebikes purely as a charity?

Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sorry Mark but I have a difficulty with that statement. Surely nobody sells ebikes purely as a charity?

Indalo
Not as charity Indalo, simply as a result of making the wrong decision and thinking e-bikes are an easy profit from big opportunity. In the UK they aren't, it's a very tough business littered with very many more failures than successes over more than a decade.

Business entry can be a trap, once in and capital spent, there's a temptation to struggle on and hope when very often writing off the money would be the best action to avoid throwing good money after bad.