Mid drive conversion kit on Cyclescheme?

Tim Howes

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 18, 2017
Bristol UK
Hi there

Newbie and first time poster.

I'm looking to buy a road-legal conversion kit for my Boardman hybrid. The small amount of research I've done so far has made me think a Bafang kit would be suitable, and easy to fit.

Ideally I want to buy through a vendor affiliated with Cyclescheme.co.uk so that i can use a voucher from my employer. Is anyone aware of Cyclescheme-friendly shops selling mid drive kits? Have failed to find any after over an hour of googling...

Many thanks in advance
Tim

Reactions: Matt Seymour

Matt Seymour

Just Joined
Jul 1, 2017
Oxford
Also a newbie. I'm after exactly the same thing. I've been looking at getting an e-bike and the cyclescheme seems like the best way. But with 5 bikes already in the house (4 of which are mine) I'm not sure my wife would allow another. A mid drive kit available via the cyclescheme would be perfect.

Did you ever find anything?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
If you have a religion that allows two wives, can you have twice as many bikes or only half as many?

A favourable answer could affect my future plans.

• :D
Reactions: anotherkiwi

Tim Howes

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 18, 2017
Bristol UK
I think in general it's best to own a sufficient number that one's wife is never quite sure how many are supposed to be propped up behind the sofa.

Matt, sorry but I didn't find anyone doing mid drive kits on Cycle scheme. I think I'm just going to take the plunge with one of the Bafang kits though, the value seems decent. Having said that I'm still unsure of whether I'd be better off with a hub motor, slightly concerned about drivetrain attrition with mid drive...

D

Deleted member 4366

As a general guide, I'd say use a hub-motor for commuting and general travelling around, and a crank motor if you want a more sporting ride, like off-road, excercise, etc.

The wear on the gears on a crank drive is nothing to worry about, especially if you have cheap gears, i.e. not expensive high-end ones.

Matt Seymour

Just Joined
Jul 1, 2017
Oxford
Jarob10 very to the point with your message there.

Doesn't look like they do cyclescheme.co.uk specifically. I've gone with a Hub motor in the end after d8veh recommendation and the slightly more sensible price point at present.

It's on it's way to me now. Very excited.

Reactions: BornAgainCyclist