My BB has no clearance to fit speed sensor

R0881E

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2017
UK
Hello again friends..

I put my q128c kit together last year but have since returned to the UK from Sydney.
I shipped the kit back over but sold the bike. The replacement bike is a Giant Defy 3 (sora) and there is zero room (unless mistaken) to fit a sensor / magnet disc.

Can anybody please advise how best to resolve this? Happy to go to LBS and get a BB / crank whatever swapped but no idea on compatibility etc and the cheaper the better.
Ps, I would much prefer a compact double instead of a triple if I have to swap my existing one.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You have a gxp or hollow tech bb, so no crank puller is needed. Undo the allen bolts on the non drive side crank arm and with gentle manipulation the arm will come off then you can slide the axle and chain rings out onc ethe chain is off.
The pas/cadence sensor fitted to a thin metal plate then sits behind the outer bearing, this has to be unscrewed first to fit said sensor. The magnet disc you have a couple of options drill out the disc center a few mm bigger in dia then the outer bearing so it fits over nicely and then secure it to the chain rings or press out the magnets and epoxy them on to the chain ring.

R0881E

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2017
UK
You have a gxp or hollow tech bb, so no crank puller is needed. Undo the allen bolts on the non drive side crank arm and with gentle manipulation the arm will come off then you can slide the axle and chain rings out onc ethe chain is off.
The pas/cadence sensor fitted to a thin metal plate then sits behind the outer bearing, this has to be unscrewed first to fit said sensor. The magnet disc you have a couple of options drill out the disc center a few mm bigger in dia then the outer bearing so it fits over nicely and then secure it to the chain rings or press out the magnets and epoxy them on to the chain ring.
Thanks Nealh, I was on holiday last week and am now home looking to complete this :)

Can I follow the steps from d8veh here and put it on the left hand side? I am assuming that I have to remove the chain rings etc on the other side else I wouldn't be able to remove the BB.

How to fit a PAS without disassembling the BB?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With gxp/hollowtech it's not practical to fit on the LHS, the mag ring needs to be attached to something for the rotation and the gap between sensor and magnets needs to be about 1 - 3mm.

Square taper bb is no problem as there is usually enough spindle length and a ga' between bb shell face but with gxp type there isn't.