My BBS01 conversion

Sylvester

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2015
Epsom, Surrey
Your original set up with hydraulic brake sensor didn't work because the sensor was already sensing the magnet so the switching was in place. You have it back to front as you brake the magnet has to be moved to the sensor to cut power, the same applies to the second effort the magnet inside the wired housing is held off the sensor by a small spring.
Well, Eclipse (who supplied the hydraulic sensors) sent me a photo of how they normally mount them, and I tried to copy the concept of their arrangement. And in fact my original setup did work when the thumb throttle was in use, but not when the bike was being pedalled!

Sylvester

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2015
Epsom, Surrey
Sylvester, I've had a very similar problem. My BBS01 doesn't cut out with the brake levers when I turn the cranks, but it does stop the speed sensor working whilst I pull the brake levers. I'm using the hydraulic sensors as well. I tried the original levers though and they didn't solve the problem of the motor not cutting out. Glad Woosh sorted you out.
Maybe you should have another go, with an arrangement like mine. It wasn't difficult to cobble up - I'm no craftsman.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Sylvester, that sounds just like the issue I had. So your hydraulic brake cutouts cut power when using throttle but not when pedalling? That's just the same as mine and is the first I've heard of anybody else having the same issue. However I had the same behaviour when trying the supplied brakes too.

Michael

Sylvester

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2015
Epsom, Surrey
Sylvester, that sounds just like the issue I had. So your hydraulic brake cutouts cut power when using throttle but not when pedalling? That's just the same as mine and is the first I've heard of anybody else having the same issue. However I had the same behaviour when trying the supplied brakes too.

Michael
Michael, you're welcome to bring your bike over some time. We could try connecting my sensors to your system, or something.

Reactions: mfj197
D

Deleted member 4366

Reed switches are on or off, but hall sensors don't always work the same. You often need a pull-up or pull-down resistor to make the switching more certain. Are you using reed switches or hall sensors?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The BBS uses halls so the brakes switches which I assume are all Wuxing ones have different halls hence why mine operate different to Sylvesters.
I have had to incorporate my sensor housing on the inside of the lever opposed to Sylvesters being on the outside of the lever.

Sylvester

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2015
Epsom, Surrey
I don't pretend to understand much of this, but presumably the fact that our bikes can be ridden (albeit clunkily) with the brake switches unplugged implies that the switches should be open-circuit in their as-installed state, and go to closed-circuit when the levers are pulled.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's two types, which depend on the controller hardware and software. For the most common ones, the signal wire is pulled up to 5v by a resistor, and the brake switch connects it directly to ground, which holds it low. The other type work the other way round, where the brake switch connects it to a 5v wire to make it high. The controller instructions usually refer to them as low voltage brake switch and high voltage brake switch. Some controllers have connectors for both.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Michael, you're welcome to bring your bike over some time. We could try connecting my sensors to your system, or something.
David, thank you very much for your kind offer. I have just thought of one thing - when I tried using the original brake lever I still had the hydraulic sensor plugged in to the other side. If the wiring on the hydraulic sensors is somehow causing the problem then I need to disconnect both before trying the original switch. I'll do that as soon as I can and see if it works. If not I'll take you up on your offer - I've sent you a message too.

Thanks for your help!

Michael

Sylvester

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2015
Epsom, Surrey
This morning I rode to Epsom to do a bit of shopping. The bike performed very well, especially on the long climb home up Ashley Road. There was quite a stiff breeze too.

The way the PAS cuts in and out will take a bit of getting used to - I must get the hang of using the thumb throttle to get moving more quickly from a standstill in traffic. Gear changing was very smooth, so the brake switches must be working ok.

I don't think the BBS01 system is nearly as intuitive as the Bosch. I rode a Bosch-equipped Scott the other week, it felt just like a normal bike except you didn't need need to pedal as hard.

I've left the display settings at their default values for the moment. Having three assistance levels is fine and I don't feel constrained by the speed limiter.

The bike, with rather a lot of cables:
image.jpg

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
You've obviously looked after it - it's in extremely good nick!
I don't think the BBS01 system is nearly as intuitive as the Bosch. I rode a Bosch-equipped Scott the other week, it felt just like a normal bike except you didn't need need to pedal as hard.
Yes, fully agree - that's the difference between a torque sensor and a PAS sensor. Bafang were supposed to bring out a torque sensor version of the BBS01 - I believe the codename was to be BBT01. However there's been no sign of it, and although they have brought out a torque-sensing system it's for OEM installation and requires a custom frame.

safetyfast

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2015
I've taken the plunge and ordered the BBS01 for my Gary Fisher Monona hybrid from Eclipse. Slightly concerned at the moment, as there have been no updates about despatch, simply order 'pending'. There were 8 in stock when I ordered but none now, so hoping I receive it without problems.

Can't wait to do the conversion! Will hopefully upload some pics when done.

Sylvester

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2015
Epsom, Surrey
I've taken the plunge and ordered the BBS01 for my Gary Fisher Monona hybrid from Eclipse. Slightly concerned at the moment, as there have been no updates about despatch, simply order 'pending'. There were 8 in stock when I ordered but none now, so hoping I receive it without problems.

Can't wait to do the conversion! Will hopefully upload some pics when done.
While you're waiting, you could make a start by cleaning your bike up and removing the pedals and bottom bracket. And buy lots of cable ties.

Reactions: safetyfast

safetyfast

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2015
While you're waiting, you could make a start by cleaning your bike up and removing the pedals and bottom bracket. And buy lots of cable ties.
Silver cable ties ordered (to match bike frame colour). Bike doesn't really need cleaning as it's pretty spick and span. I'm wanting to dismantle pedals and bottom bracket but just wish I knew for sure the that kit is on the way, so I don't just end end up with my bike out of action. Comments on here about Eclipse seem positive enough though, so fingers crossed.

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
I ordered a battery from Eclipse on Wednesday arriving today via UPS, there is a note on their site saying back orders will be filled before stock levels will show correct.

safetyfast

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2015
I ordered a battery from Eclipse on Wednesday arriving today via UPS, there is a note on their site saying back orders will be filled before stock levels will show correct.
Yes I saw the note about back orders. Hopefully as there were 8 showing in stock when I ordered I should receive it.

Sylvester

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2015
Epsom, Surrey
Silver cable ties ordered (to match bike frame colour).
Respect! Many years ago I worked for Bernie Ecclestone at the Brabham F1 team. In those days you could only buy white cable ties, but Bernie wanted black, and one does not argue with Bernie. So we boiled the white ones in black Dylon. Did the trick!

safetyfast

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2015
Had an email back from Eclipse yesterday confirming that my kit and battery will be sent out in the next few days. :)

As my crank tools have arrived I might as well start some dismantling. Here is the bike that will be converted. Will start a new thread once work is properly in progress (don't want to hijack yours Sylvester!)

image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sylvester

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
David, thank you very much for your kind offer. I have just thought of one thing - when I tried using the original brake lever I still had the hydraulic sensor plugged in to the other side. If the wiring on the hydraulic sensors is somehow causing the problem then I need to disconnect both before trying the original switch. I'll do that as soon as I can and see if it works. If not I'll take you up on your offer - I've sent you a message too.

Thanks for your help!

Michael
Just to close this bit out, it was the hydraulic brake sensors that were faulty. It seems an early batch had a few issues. Eclipse Bikes (who've been great) took my motor back and were able to replicate the issue with their early batch of sensors. When they used a more recent batch it worked fine. The motor is now installed together with brake sensors and it works well.

Michael