My ideal conversion kit

Feav66

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 8, 2017
Norwich
I'm looking to convert my old Claude Butler mountain bike. The kit that I'm very close to buying is this one.

http://www.electricbikeconversions.co.uk/product/250w-front-wheel-electric-bike-conversion-kit/

However despite this being a very good price and it seems well reviewed on these forums there are a couple of things which are stopping this being my ideal kit.
First, on another thread here it was mentioned that the controler is a square wave not sine wave which would be quiter and smoother.
Second, the pannier battery only comes in 11ah. Ideally i would like 15ah.
Third, the lcd seems a little large and i prefer the smaller kingmeter type screen (although this is a minor cocern)

I've had a look on bmsbattery website but to honest found it all a bit confusing as to which parts are compatible with each other.
So is it possible to spec my ideal kit from somewhere or would i be better off just going for the the convenience of the kit.

Feav.

D

Deleted member 4366

All the parts on the BMSbattery site are compatible with each othe except where they specifically mention.

You won't have any problems if you get a hall sensored motor and a controller for sensored motors. After that, it's only a question of matching the power.

It would be much easier to help if you made a picking list and posted it here, then we'd have some idea of what you want.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, that includes everything you need. When you choose mix-and-match components, you often need to change or solder connectors on the battery connections. Sometimes you have to swap pins on connectors.

If you don't have steel forks, you should get a torque arm. It's worth getting the spoke key too if you don't have a 13g one.

Feav66

Sep 8, 2017
Norwich
That lot comes to £523 including £177 for shipping. Surely shipping cannot be that expensive?
If import duty has to be paid as well i think the woosh kit at £ 634 would be a better option or stick with the original ebc kit at £430.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
That lot comes to £523 including £177 for shipping. Surely shipping cannot be that expensive?
If import duty has to be paid as well i think the woosh kit at £ 634 would be a better option or stick with the original ebc kit at £430.
One of the reasons I did not buy from them as delivery charge is ridiculous to be honest.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Shipping cost changes when you log in. Don't ask why, I don't know...

D

Deleted member 4366

The shipping cost is irrelevant. The only thing that counts is the total cost. The reason I buy from BMSB is that you can get a kit exactly how you want it, not because it's the cheapest.

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
The Woosh BPM kit is a good one. It is a good price for what you get. A bike fitted with this kit will be very powerful and have very high torque. The kit is not road-legal though.

Feav66

Sep 8, 2017
Norwich
I think for price and convenience the ebc kit is favorite. It should be enough battery for 90 percent of my journeys. It seems like a good kit for an introduction to ebiking and if i want to upgrade in the future i will give it to my dad and i will have a better idea of what i really need.
So hopefully i can order next week and get a review up when its all done.

Feav66

Sep 8, 2017
Norwich
Quick update.
I ordered the kit from ebc and fitted with no problems. The kit for the price seems very good quality and arrived next day. Everything you need is in the box with a good set of fitting instructions.
In the end i went with the rear wheel 250 watt kit with a 13ah frame battery. I did consider the front wheel with pannier battery but in the end the larger battery for the same price and the general consensus that frame batteries are better for balance swung it.

Went out for my first proper test ride today and I'm very impressed. The motor is smooth and quiet making for a pleasurable ride.
Did 25 miles along a mostly flat converted rail line and arrived home feeling fresh and with still two bars left on the battery.
Doing the same journey unassisted left me tired and sweaty, especially on one 2 mile gradual incline on a soft sandy part of track.

Would recommend this kit if you are looking for a simple and low budget introduction to ebikes.

• Useful
Reactions: tommie

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for updating the forum...so few do !

Glad it delivers yourneeds, happy egrin riding :)

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Av had the same kit fitted for just over a year now and it's been good so far,only 2 things you need to check are the spokes,one of mine snapped and quite a few others needed tightening after the first couple of days and the only other thing I've had tighten up were the 6 small screws that hold the motor housing in,I ordered replacement ones from eBay(stainless ones with a torx fitting instead of the Allan key ones) .

Feav66

Sep 8, 2017
Norwich
Thanks for the tips. Will keep an eye on it and get myself a spoke tool.
Its suprising how small bumbs at 10 miles an hour become a lot more significant at 18 miles an hour. That back wheel is taking some punishment.