My kit has arrived and oh my it looks confusing!

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Just working on doing that trex took a ton and a ton of each individual wire group. So it might take a bit, so might even be morning when I get them up here but I will do :D thanks again sooooooooooooo much.

D

Deleted member 4366

The long wire with 5 thin coloured wires inside the black heatshrink on the end need the pins inserting into the seperate white plug end in the same places as the same colors in the other half of that plug which is connected to the controller.View attachment 10863
Yes, but don't fit the white block until you've threaded it through any holes through which it has to pass!

Reactions: Shetland Wife

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Good morning everyone :) I have another question is it essential to put on the PAS because after doing a lot of reading it sounds as if it would annoy me more than anything. So what are your thoughts???

D

Deleted member 4366

It will make riding the bike a lot more convenient. The three levels on the panel make it work like a cruise control. The power will be more controllable and it will be more efficient in terms of battery usage. To summarise, it's worth the effort, but not essential.

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Thanks d8veh then we will give it a go :) Not sure how to fit it yet but so far everything else has gone smoothly with everyone's help here. I found a video of what mine looks like is this guy fitting it right???

D

Deleted member 4366

You should look between the chainwheel and the bottom bracket to see if there's enough room for the magnet disc first. If there isn't, take a photo of the left side of the bottom bracket where the crank arm joins the spindle. Take a photo at 45 deg angle so that I can see the end of the bottom bracket and another in the fore and aft direction so that I can see the gap.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you can ignore the yellow wire. It's connected to the minus terminal of the battery (same as the black wire from the battery).

giltbrook

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 23, 2012
Near Nottingham
This video seems to show the fitting of the sensor, (PAS), clearer, but for a different type of bottom bracket?, plus it shows at the end what can go wrong if the chainwheel fouls it after fitting.

Last edited:

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
giltbrook that video was very helpful. My husband is currently going to work on installing it. I do have a question which may seem stupid. But does it matter which side it goes on. As we think it will work on the left side of my bike, because I have the chain guard on the right side.

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Okay so we are going to leave the PAS off for now and install it later as we need another tool to do it. So now onto wiring and getting it all ready to go.

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Also I managed to do all the wiring :D HAPPY DAYS and everything is working so my OH is currently tidying all of the wires up. I am so grateful to all of you for your amazing help. I am now an electric bike owner so I will be sticking around with you lovely lot.

giltbrook

Sep 23, 2012
Near Nottingham
Okay so we are going to leave the PAS off for now and install it later as we need another tool to do it. So now onto wiring and getting it all ready to go.
Sorry, I can't help much as I am doing a bit of research myself regarding fitting a kit, and that video matched my bottom bracket. I have read on here from the excellent information supplied by d8veh that the sensor might need some adjustment if fitted to the left side,.possibly by reversing the pick up if I remember correctly, so he will be able to advise further on that.

Congratulations on getting it running, what would we do without this forum and YouTube :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

You can fit the sensor to the left side, which will be easier.

You need to get a crank-puller to remove the pedal arm (crank), which you can get from Ebay. Next, you use a hammer and screwdriver to tap off the locking ring being careful not to let that middle piece with two flats on turn. It would be best to hold it with a big adjustable spanner to stop it turning. If it does turn, it's not the end of the world. It adjusts the play in the bottom bracket bearings, so make a note of its position before you start. The idea is that it should be screwed in just enough to take the play (sideways movement) out of the bearings without squashing them.

With the locking ring removed, slide the sensor (the bit woth the wire) over the thread where the locking ring was. Refit and tighten the locking ring by tapping it with the hammer and screwdriver, making sure that the other piece doesn't turn with it. Push the magnet disc over the spindle, but not far enough to touch the bottom bracket. It needs to go back to front so that it turns in the opposite direction to the arrow on it, which normally means with the shiny magnets on the other side to the sensor. Now is the time to test it to make sure that it works in the right direction. If it works in reverse, flip the magnet disc, otherwise reinstall the pedal arm. That's it - easier to do than write about it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicycle-Cycle-Crank-Extractor-Wheel-Remover-Puller-Repair-Tool-Pedal-UK-/171726252339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27fbaea933

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Fantastic d8veh I am ordering the tool now and we will follow your instructions once it arrives. Thanks. So for now I am just going to be using with the throttle until the tool arrives. So excited to get out for a ride later as it is a beautiful day here and flat calm.

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
So we are at the point of trying to fit the controller and wires into the box and so far it is a nightmare. My OH is trying to make it work but he is worried it might damage some of the wiring. Is it really this tight of a fit? Or any helpful suggestions :D Cheers again everyone

giltbrook

Sep 23, 2012
Near Nottingham
From what I have read this is quite a normal problem, with suggestions of shortening the cables to make everything neater, but that probably requires new connectors. As a temporary solution, could you just leave some of the spare cable outside of the box, and tape it up until you decide how to proceed further?

Shetland Wife

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
This is ultimately what my OH did so great thinking and even though I am new here too ,Welcome :) Everyone here has seen me through a million questions, from buying the bike I wanted to convert, to finding the kit and now getting it working. So it is a great community and I am so glad for all the friendly help. Just about to go on the first test drive in a few and I am beyond excited