My review of the Dillenger Opia 2.0 - and why to avoid Dillenger at all costs

StuartRoslin

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 31, 2018
Hi,

I am new here; I have had a folding bike (Tern Verge) for the past four years and one month ago I made the upgrade to an electric folding bike, the Dillenger Opia 2.0. It is a 20" folding electric bike.

Initially I was gobsmacked, as I suspect anyone is when they first make the switch.

However, it was obvious that the bike wasn't perfect:-

* Its folding mechanism is nowhere near as refined as Tern's
* It takes up about 1.5x as much space as the Tern despite being a similarly sized bike
* The seat post doesn't drop far enough to serve as a stable base, so it falls over a lot while folded
* There is no obvious place from which to carry the bike while folded
* To get around the lack of holding position, I tried to get a bag to carry it in, but none of the 20" bags will fit it

* The kick-stand included is about 3cm too short, which makes it pointless as the bike leans so much when you use it that it falls over a lot

* The battery meter display changes frequently - jumping up and down - sometimes in response to the motor using more or less force - other times while using constant force
* That makes the meter completely pointless

* The motor doesn't always come on when you expect it to
* It has a throttle limited to 6km/h but a few times I twisted that at a junction and then stood still for five seconds or more

I also had some good things to say about the bike as well:-
* The seat is nowhere near as uncomfortable as my Tern's
* Once running, the electric motor gave consistent power, which is particularly useful when going up hills
* I found the brakes to be more effective than the Tern's, however I wasn't thrown over my seat whenever I applied the front brake (probably due to the 6kg weight difference in the bike)

I put all of that in a review which I posted on the Dillenger website, and which they deleted or hid.

However, and this is the big one, then I went for a 20 mile trip on the bike alongside a Brompton bike...

Part of the trip was on a road going to windmills and was plotted by Google Maps as the best route to take. Two of my spokes on the rear wheel snapped in the middle. Unfortunately, by that stage, I was in the middle of nowhere. Before I could get the bike back to civilisation, at least five more spokes popped out. The wheel rim was so distorted by this stage that it was difficult even to wheel it along - it kept hitting the mud guards and brakes.

I took the bike into a repair shop thinking I could just replace the spokes but they pointed out how distorted the rim was. They also told me the wheel was a pretty unique design, with twenty spokes. Therefore they suggested that I try to get hold of a replacement wheel rim or complete wheel from Dillenger, who they said would not deal with them directly.

I contacted Dillenger, who initially asked for photographs of the damaged wheel. I provided those and then they told me that there were no replacement wheel rims or wheels available.

That was the last message I have had from Dillenger.

I replied to ask how I can return the bike, given they offer a 60 day returns policy, however they haven't responded to my messages yet.

The bike repair shop suggested they could build new wheels from scratch, however when they saw the bike has a throttle then they told me they won't work on the bike in case it doesn't meet the 2016 regulations!

18kg of expensive scrap metal!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The bike repair shop suggested they could build new wheels from scratch, however when they saw the bike has a throttle then they told me they won't work on the bike in case it doesn't meet the 2016 regulations!
clearly, the local bike shop where you took your bike to did not want your business. You asked him to repair your wheel, not the bike's electrics.
Remove the wheel then bring it to another bike shop.

StuartRoslin

May 31, 2018
I should have said; it is the rear wheel, so they would need to add in an electric motor, and therefore would be working on the electrics.

StuartRoslin

May 31, 2018
Dillenger have replied to my return & refund request.

They have stalked my Facebook and found a photograph they claimed showed that I had overloaded the bike. I gave them Amazon links to each of the items shown in the photograph, proving that their combined weights was only 9kg.

They also claimed that because I described my route as "completely off A roads" that therefore I was "off-road". I gave them a link to the Wikipedia explanation of an A-road and noted that my route (as described on my Facebook post) was completely on roads and was plotted by Google.

I also pointed out that I will be reporting them to the Information Commissioner for their illegal stalking of my Facebook account.

Last edited:

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Whilst you have every right to expect a bike of satisfactory quality, bearing in mind prices of:-
Tern Vektron electric -> £2,949
Brompton electric -> £2,715
Dillenger Opia 2.0 electric -> £699
are you sure your comparisons & expectations are fair?

From your photo with all the various luggage it does look like you are expecting a lot out of your purchase.

Also why shouldn't anyone look at a photograph that you have chosen to post publicly? Why do you think this is illegal?

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky

StuartRoslin

May 31, 2018
As stated above, the luggage weighs 9kg, which I have proven to Dillenger by linking them to the Amazon listings for each item. I weigh 80kg. That is well within the 120kg limit stated on the Opia technical specification (not 100kg as I incorrectly asserted). I do not agree that expecting a bike to carry a load within it weight limit without the rear wheel collapsing is a high expectation.

The cost of the bike compared to bigger brands is irrelevant. The bike was sold for a purpose and failed to fulfil usage within that given purpose. Their bike description even claims that they use best quality components for their bike, whereas the repair shop and my experienced cyclist friend has noted that the spokes are bad quality.

Their stalking of my social media goes against GDPR.

My complaint about their access of my social media is thus:-

I would like to complain that a representative of Dillenger (below) has accessed my social media without my consent or explicit permission in a manner that is detrimental to myself, including producing false personal information about myself.

I expect for that personal information to be deleted and removed from my record completely and immediately, and disregarded from all communications between myself and Dillenger.

Last edited:

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Your main moan seems to be the rear wheel collapsing. But you have said that the wheel problem was caused by a stone, whilst you were riding on a road which wasn't in great condition, carrying a load at the limit of the bike's spec.

Minds greater than mine will give a proper opinion on your interpretation of GDPR but, even it it is against GDPR to look at what you have publicly posted (& personally I doubt it), then the chances of the ICO taking up your case are nil.

Sorry but you signed up yesterday. We've certainly had those in the past who, it appears, sign up & start posting with the express intention of dissing a product / service in the hope that it furthers their cause with the supplier.

StuartRoslin

May 31, 2018
Well; obviously having a rear wheel completely lose most of its spokes & distort to the point of hitting the brakes is a pretty major problem for a bike.

Having no available spare parts in a country where you have a distribution centre is also a pretty severe limitation, though.

And I am really sorry that you feel that a bike shouldn't be able to carry a load WELL WITHIN its maximum capacity (actually 120kg, I was incorrect to say 100kg - see tech specs below) on a road that is suggested by Google and was passed without any problem by another cyclist.

http://dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk/electric-bikes/folding-electric-bikes/opia-by-dillenger.html

Cycling on rural roads at low speeds shouldn't destroy all of the rear wheel's spokes. But in the crazy scenario where that does happen, you would expect that the manufacturer would at least try to be helpful to the person who only just bought their bike!

I posted on here because I felt that other people might want to know how shitty this bike is - and how Dillenger won't uphold their 60-day return policy - before they make the same mistake that I did.

Last edited:

StuartRoslin

May 31, 2018
Another photograph that Dillenger stalked from my Facebook profile shows the rural road in question.

God forbid that a bike should manage this, err, road.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A single stone hitting the bike, while travelling at low speeds, shouldn't destroy all of the rear wheel's spokes.
of course not.
Spokes and rims are usually excluded from manufacturers warranty.
The usual cause for spokes on e-bikes to break is a loose spoke.
Spokes work in extension (pulling). if one spoke is loose, it has lost all its tension. When you go over a stone, there is one out of 36 chance that the loose spoke is just over the stone. At that moment, the loose spoke is compressed, its elbow is pushed open, causing it to snap at the elbow.
If you continue riding and have more than one loose spoke as it is often the case when the wheel is not properly trued at the factory, then more spokes will snap. Also, adjacent spokes to the broken ones will be subjected to increasing stress, more likely to break.
There is usually a tell tale creaking noise from the wheel as the loose spokes move against the properly tightened spokes when you ride.
To avoid breaking your spokes, listen out for any creaking noise, ping all your spokes now and then to check for loose ones.
All that does not mean that your statutory rights of a consumers are affected and you are of course entitled to a good working product.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
First of all if you don't want the whole world to see your photographs don't put them on Facebook, secondly your spokes certainly didn't break on the road you have just posted a picture of, also why didn't you stop riding after the first two spokes broke? You complain about so many things before you get to the issue of the spokes that it appears that you didn't like the bike before the wheel issue and had already made up your mind you didn't want it, as regards as regards parts availability you should have done research before you purchased. Solution get the wheel rebuilt as people have suggested.

StuartRoslin

May 31, 2018
I have called the Information Commissioner's Office to check if my claim is valid. They told me my claim is completely valid; that unless Dillenger had declared the use of personal social media profiles in their privacy policy, which would be exceptional, then their stalking my public posts on my personal Facebook profile is completely against the law.

The call handler said that my complaint to Dillenger, insisting that the illegal information is deleted completely and immediately and thereafter disregarded, is totally correct.

ICO also said that Dillenger could have collected excessive personal information about myself, my political views, personal life, etc while scrapping that information.

If Dillenger fail to follow those actions then ICO will get involved.

Last edited:

StuartRoslin

May 31, 2018
Why I didn't stop cycling after the first two spokes broke: because I was in the middle of nowhere and needed to get back to civilisation. Walking 18 miles in hilly terrain with 9kg of luggage and 18kg of bike is not exactly nice! Even pushing the bike for the last 5 miles was tough.

If the spokes were faulty enough to break within 1 month of purchasing a new bike then I agree with you it is likely there was a factory problem, which is a warranty issue.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
And how do you think complaining to the ICO will help you get your bike fixed? Straws & clutching comes to mind.

Sorry, but again, citing GDPR & complaining to ICO just comes across as you trying to cause problems for the company. Complaining multiple times that they are 'stalking' you comes across as a bit OCD (no I'm not a doctor & that's probably not an officially sanctioned description).

Did you complete the regular checks & maintenance as recommended in your bike's user manual, particularly the bits about spokes that they emphasize:-
How much maintenance is required? T
he most common question we get is how much maintenance is required? The basic answer is not much more than a normal bicycle. Maintaining proper care of your bicycle is very important. Ensuring that you complete the following on a regular basis:
 Clean and oil your drive train (chain)
 Clean and oil your gearing system
 Check the tyre pressure is within range
 Check the wear on the brakes and replace if necessary
 Check the wear on the tyres and replace if necessary
 Check for loose spokes on both of the wheels and tighten if necessary.
 Check all fasteners
 Wipe down the rest of the bike

Possibly the most important one of those points is spoke maintenance. An electric wheel produces small amounts of vibrations that can loosen spokes over time. It is important that you keep eye out (and ear out) for loose spokes and fix them up before it gets out of hand. Audible buzzing can be heard on occasion when a loose spoke is present on the motor hub. This is a good indication that spoke maintenance may be required. We would recommend any competent wheel builder for this kind of maintenance. Though there are loads of youtube videos that will be a great guide on fixing any spoke tensioning issues you might have.

It cant be said enough that having a good maintenance routine can be one of the best ways to catch an issue early before it becomes are large problem, saving you time and potentially a lot of money.
My advice -> get your bike fixed by a different LBS & move on.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If the spokes were faulty enough to break within 1 month of purchasing a new bike then I agree with you it is likely there was a factory problem, which is a warranty issue.
the spokes are not the problem, just don't let them getting loose.
Next time you have a broken spoke, remove it and tighten up any other loose spokes before continuing. Get the wheel sorted as soon as you can afterward.
Spend £2 on a 13 gauge spoke key:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Spoke-Key-Wheel-Spoke-Wrench-Tool-Nipples-MTB-Bike-Accessory-NP/153040969147

Last edited:

StuartRoslin

May 31, 2018
I take your advice on board. However there was no audible buzzing, I hadn't used the bike that much before this trip, and I had checked it over before setting off.

My complaint about their data usage is because it is illegal, and should be stopped. Any person who witnesses companies making illegal use of personal information should report that to the ICO, otherwise there is no point in having data protection laws.

But it also means that they cannot make their false claim against me, claiming that I was using the bike improperly, since that claim is based on information that they gathered illegally.

My plan is to return the bike, get my money back, and MOVE ON.

Why the hell would I want to spend what is likely to be more than the cost of the bike having that bike fixed at my own cost when it shouldn't have broken in the first place?!?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Unless your rim is kinked or dented a competent wheel builder will be able to reuse it. The excessive buckling is due to you having too many broken spokes.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
My view is that you put something on FB for all the world to see then dont be surprised when they do.

I am surprised they contravene the GDPR when they have a valid relationship with them as a customer.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
.... and I had checked it over before setting off.
Can you honestly say that you checked for loose spokes on both of the wheels and tightened if necessary before setting off?

I've had my e-bike for years and can honestly say that I've never done this!