My review of the Dillenger Opia 2.0 - and why to avoid Dillenger at all costs

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I take your advice on board. However there was no audible buzzing, I hadn't used the bike that much before this trip, and I had checked it over before setting off.
damage to spokes and rims can be just your bad luck for example hitting a kerb or a large pothole. Check all the other spokes, if some of them are loose, then you can use that to argue that the wheels were not properly prepared. If you are not experienced with bike maintenance, ask a friendly bike shop for their advice. All bikes need a bit of TLC.

https://www.thoughtco.com/bike-spoke-maintenance-365490

StuartRoslin

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 31, 2018
Can you honestly prove that I didn't?

A bike shouldn't fail within one month. End of story.

P.S. I did tighten up the other spokes to compensate for the missing spokes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I've had my e-bike for years and can honestly say that I've never done this!
the rust on the spoke thread probably helps!

• :D
Reactions: Wander

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Can you honestly prove that I didn't?

P.S. I did tighten up the other spokes to compensate for the missing spokes.
Your answer infers that you only considered the spokes AFTER the stone hit them.

No, I can't honestly prove you didn't, however, if i took my bike into my LBS, I would honestly tell them that I had never checked them, but that's my honesty and integrity.

A bike shouldn't fail within one month. End of story.
Actually the first month of ownership is when it is the most important period to carry out the suggested checks and maintenance.

StuartRoslin

May 31, 2018
Well, I was using the 12 gauge key to tighten them. If they were 13 gauge then that shouldn't have fitted.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Well, I was using the 12 gauge key to tighten them. If they were 13 gauge then that shouldn't have fitted.
your spoke key is not good enough. Use one in my previous post. A 12 gauge slot on a 13 gauge spoke will mark and round the nipples. Once its nipple is rounded, you'll have to cut it off and replace, so make sure the key fits the nipples snugly.
BTW, when you tighten your spokes, do not over tighten. You will damage the rim hole. Once damaged, spokes will break because there is not enough metal (at the rim hole) to keep the spoke under tension. If you don't know how much force to use, check the other spokes for a good idea of how much force you need.

Last edited:

StuartRoslin

May 31, 2018
FFS. My spoke key is multi-gauge and is perfectly good, thank you!!!!

I also have enough experience with tools to know when I'm using the wrong one for the job.

The spokes were 12 gauge.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The spokes were 12 gauge.
the 12 gauge spokes are used on fat bikes, not on small 20" folders. Trust me on this, I sell both types.
If you don't believe me, check the diameter of your spokes with a caliper.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Why would they need to refund you and take the bike back? a couple of spokes broke when you hit a stone you decided to ride it another 13 miles in this condition as you state in a previous post and consequently broke more spokes, the most they need to do is rebuild or replace the wheel.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
* The battery meter display changes frequently - jumping up and down - sometimes in response to the motor using more or less force - other times while using constant force
* That makes the meter completely pointless
Accepting your other points Stuart, the above is not a fault and is common on e-bikes. Batteries are chemical devices so it's impossible to measure their content on the spot electrically. They hold a chemical potential.

So the method used to provide a rough indication of content is to display the gradual fall in battery voltage as the content is used. Unfortunately the voltage also falls with load variation, so as the motor works more or less hard the indication fluctuates.

To get a more accurate indication it's necessary to stop pedalling and shut off a throttle (if fitted) for two or three seconds. This allows the chemical reaction to stop and a stable voltage to show.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
ICO also said that Dillenger could have collected excessive personal information about myself, my political views, personal life, etc while scrapping that information.

If Dillenger fail to follow those actions then ICO will get involved.
"...Could have..." AFAIK Police, Insurance companies and Benefit depts (and it seems warranty claim depts) use public Social Media to check and see if folk incriminate themselves

Can the insurance company check my Facebook, Instagram & Twitter accounts?
The simple answer is, YES.

The insurance company or solicitor can and will check a Claimant’s social media posts to check that the claim that is submitted to them in relation to the accident, injuries and losses is consistent with the information and images posted online.
https://leech.co.uk/social-media-compensation-claim/

However, a Claimant should be aware that these online checks will be made and therefore think twice about what is posted online, either by you or your family and friends and how these posts may appear to the insurance company or solicitor.

We would recommend that you do not discuss the case with anyone online or post photographs relating to the accident or your injuries and you could also alter your privacy settings.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh