Nano-brompton question

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows how the nano-brompton actually works - does it have a pedelec system? as the throttle is instantly activated when the battery is connected to the handlebar stem.

After viewing this clip on Youtube YouTube - Brompton nano electric bike I was wondering whether it had the same system as the ezee bikes? (requiring twisting of throttle all the time).

Cheers

UrbanPuma

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
Hi UrbanPuma,
I don't have an answer to your question but strangely enough was going to post the very same question myself. On the Nano website under any questions it does mention about a pedelec option being available. It is isn't clear though whether this applies to the Nano Brompton.

I have been thinking of the Nano Brompton as a possible second e-bike but am do not want throttle only and am put off the Ezees by having to use the throttle even with the pedelec option. The bike has to be lightweight, compact folding and easily transportable. The Nano Brompton would seem to tick the boxes, provided it can be used in pedelec mode only.

Does anyone out there have the answer?

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
The answer is subscribe to a2b magazine. All your nano questions answered.....and if theyre not just ask and i'm sure you'll get a whole page article. I think they covered this in their first (of many) nano article.

Regards

A2b lover

Leonardo

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2006
www.jobike.it
If I'm not wrong, the pedelec system is an option (with a small surcharge) and you have to switch between throttle and pedelec. It is what Simon Mills told me a few months ago. A friend of mine in Italy bought a Nano-kit for his Brompton with the pedelec option and the thumb regulator but at the end he never fitted the PAS, so I don't know how it actually works (immediate start or not and so on...), what I know is that the Brompton doesn't allow the torque sensor for space reasons, so I guess it should be a cadence sensor.

Last edited:

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
Thanks for that. Having just read the previous posts on getting hold of the kits and/or complete Bromptons, problems with controllers etc maybe its not such a good idea after all. Perhaps Ezee will bring out a Super Quando with non-throttle option, lighter weight and gears (it's good to dream!).

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Thanks Leonardo. Essexman, I am a member of AtoB magazine but cant find the issues featuring the nano-brompton. :rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Leonardo. Essexman, I am a member of AtoB magazine but cant find the issues featuring the nano-brompton. :rolleyes:
That's because they sneakily hid it in an electric bike issue. :p

It's the June 2007 issue with the word Electric scrawled across the cover. :D

faphillips

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
London SE
I am a Nano Brompton owner like Leonardo and he is of course correct in saying that the pedelec sensor is a low cost option on this bike.

In spite of the problems that have been mentioned with some Tongxin controllers I am not aware that the Nano Brompton controller has been affected nor to my knowledge has it suffered problems with the motor. Tony Castles & Simon Mills probably have more experience with this motor and controller when used in a 16" wheel than anyone else in the UK. It is generally noted that this motor/controller is better suited to a smaller wheel.

It is true that both Tony & Simon can be elusive and unresponsive by both email and by phone although having bought two kits from them over 3 months apart, which I paid for on collection I havent really had a problem and they have been a pleasure to deal with otherwise.

Personally I cant see the point of the pedelec option on this particular bike. I doubt that there are many electric bikes out there that you would CHOOSE to ride sans battery. The drag offered by the motor is so low and the bike doesnt weigh a lot in any event that its hardly any different to a normal Brompton. Some days I dont use power at all. Then again on other days I dont pedal much either.

The power is only available up to about 14 mph so if you are pedalling at more than that - which generally happens in any event on the flat - you dont get any assistance.

It takes my 16 stone bulk plus papers and laptop up Ludgate Hill (without pedalling) at 9mph. If you've seen me and thought I was pedalling you are mistaken, I was just moving the pedals around so onlookers think I am a fat bugger with bionic legs and to disguise the fact that I am riding an electric bike (you wouldn know otherwise)

The main advantage for me is acceleration away from the lights which is really important in Central London and pedelec isnt much good in that instance nor is it much good when riding down the very small gap between 2 lanes of London buses which you wouldnt dream of doing whilst pedalling but which you can do under throttle with your feet off the pedals.

In my view the Nano Brompton is the only folding electric bike in its class. No other folding electric bike can be used on a daily basis in central London on buses, tubes and trains in the rush hour and stowed under your desk at work. The eZee Quando is an excelent bike (I know I had one) but cannot be used in the same situation and the same is true of most other electric folders.

If you have need of what a Brompton offers - great ridability in the smallest lightest folded package - and you need electric assistance there isnt another bike to consider (in my far from humble opinion).

Francis

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In my view the Nano Brompton is the only folding electric bike in its class. No other folding electric bike can be used on a daily basis in central London on buses, tubes and trains in the rush hour and stowed under your desk at work. The eZee Quando is an excelent bike (I know I had one) but cannot be used in the same situation and the same is true of most other electric folders.

If you have need of what a Brompton offers - great ridability in the smallest lightest folded package - and you need electric assistance there isnt another bike to consider (in my far from humble opinion).

Francis
I'd certainly fully agree with this. As a long time owner and admirer of the Quando's qualities, it just doesn't compare as a transportable bike and I consider it as really a car boot folder.

The Nano Brompton is alone in this market, and as A to B said even before it's creation, nothing else qualifies as an electric folder for public transport use.

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
But does anybody know about real failures of the Nano-Brompton?
The motor and controller are made by TongXin. Failures include:

-broken gear ring
-slipping freewheel
-motor magnets fallen off
-other gear failure (can't give any details yet)

All of these I have had and some have been reported by others.

Other failures reported are:

-gears slipping
-controller failed

Has anyone run this system for more that 2000 miles without failure?

Last edited:

faphillips

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
London SE
John are the problems you have reported with the Tongxin motor when used in a 16" wheel i.e. the Nano Brompton or in larger wheel bikes which it seems unsuited to?

Francis

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
To be fair, I should qualify my comment as I was referring to the Tongxin controller and motor, not specifically as used in the Brompton Nano application.

It would be great to think that it can perform better in that small wheel. I hope your good experience continues, Francis, and that others have similar fortune. A working Tongxin motor is by far the most pleasing bike motor I have encountered.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Every failure instance I've come across has been in larger wheels, and the largest 28"/700c when used with a high revs version of the Nano to get high speeds has caused the most trouble.

Supporting that is the fact that the one kit Nano we know for certain runs ok without faults at present is in Jeremy's 20" wheel.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Thanks for all your posts guys. Francis, i think the nano-brompton sounds great and there doesnt seem to be any reported problems with that setup. Im particularly pleased to hear that it rides like a normal brompton with no noticeable drag.

I've made up my mind and will be getting one in the near future :) The Dahons are rather heavy so not really what im looking for.

UrbanPuma

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
Mine is in a 26" wheel but I don't think that could have had an effect on most of the problems I have had. The freewheel was a straight manufacturing fault and if you stick magnets on with chewing gum they will fall off in any wheel!

What is more likely to have affected me is that I use it for serious mileage, hence my question. I don't think that Jeremy has put many miles on his.

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Has anyone run this system for more that 2000 miles without failure?
I have had a tongxin motor running since september/october so most likely around 2000 miles (difficult to work it out as the velo 8 re-set itself). I bought it cheaply as an experiment for the torq. The only fault has been a wiring one but I must admit that my wiring was a bit makeshift, as I wanted to return the torq to standard at some point - which I will do now. Test is over, ran ok but does squeal a bit off the line on full throttle so not recommended. Finish isn't great after 7 months. I will try and take a picture before dismantling.

Last edited: