Need some advice

SexyHyde

Pedelecer
May 3, 2013
So I take it no one has ever gone over the designated speed limit? I'm not driving 25mph everywhere, I'm not treating old ladies as pins on a bowling lane, I'm just prepared to go a bit faster with electric assistance than the current rules state, but still a lot slower than I can legally pedal with no electric assistance.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
25mph is 67% over the legal assisted speed.
10% is OK, 67% way too much.
Nobody stops you riding at 25mph on your own steam, on main roads or cycle tracks, just that your EAPC motor has to be off when over 16mph.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
So I take it no one has ever gone over the designated speed limit? I'm not driving 25mph everywhere, I'm not treating old ladies as pins on a bowling lane, I'm just prepared to go a bit faster with electric assistance than the current rules state, but still a lot slower than I can legally pedal with no electric assistance.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The issues arise when an accident occurs or some one is injured esp a third party, up until then it is all hunky dory. Your bike is then gone over with a fine toothcomb and experts will decide if it is over powered or speed adapted.

Reactions: ebiker99
D

Deleted member 25121

But road speed limits don't apply to non electrically assisted bikes.

What's your point?

SexyHyde

Pedelecer
May 3, 2013
25mph is 67% over the legal assisted speed.
10% is OK, 67% way too much.
Nobody stops you riding at 25mph on your own steam, on main roads or cycle tracks, just that your EAPC motor has to be off when over 16mph.
I can do 25mph on leg power...... thats fine...... but 25mph on leg and electric.... thats way too fast!?!?!??!

See I had to stop riding my bike to work when my missus got a new job that meant i didn't have time to cycle to work, If i got a 15.5 mph legal bike i could take it 1 day a week and I would have to leave 1 hour earlier. With the 750w motor I can do 5 days a week. So for me it's either a slightly faster than legal ebike or the car.
Oh and you can't say 10% over is ok. The rule is 15.5 mph, if you think 15.5mph + 10% is ok then you don't agree with the rule.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you need to go over the assisted speed limit using the motor, you can take your bike for an SVA, pay the fees and get a number plate.
Your bike will be checked to see if it's safe for up to 28mph.
the 10% is the usual tolerance, I am sure you are already aware of these things as you said you work in the legal sector.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Are we absolutely sure about the 10% tolerance still being applicable? From local reports (West Wales) it seems motorists are being prosecuted in absolute terms. So someone doing 32 in a 30 limit is fined and points added.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

SexyHyde

Pedelecer
May 3, 2013
Are we absolutely sure about the 10% tolerance still being applicable? From local reports (West Wales) it seems motorists are being prosecuted in absolute terms. So someone doing 32 in a 30 limit is fined and points added.
For normal police its usually 10% + 2mph, if it's the traffic cops (white hats instead of black) then they are way more likely to give you a ticket for 31 in a 30.

if you need to go over the assisted speed limit using the motor, you can take your bike for an SVA, pay the fees and get a number plate.
Your bike will be checked to see if it's safe for up to 28mph.
the 10% is the usual tolerance, I am sure you are already aware of these things as you said you work in the legal sector.
I could do that, then would I be legal? No, theres still more hoops to go through.
And lets not get started on trying to insure the thing, because as it's just been lumbered into existing legislation instead of having it's own, most insurance companies won't touch you.

I joined here years ago and stopped coming because of all the emotor "letter of the law" nazis, I thought after all this time it might have changed. I was merely asking about a decent hub motor kit, I was open in my disregard of the current rules, but got loads of hassle. I care less about the rules and more about responsible riding and bike uptake.

May you all have a nice day. I'm going to leave again as I just don't want to cause hassle.

Last edited:
Reactions: POLLY and D C

SexyHyde

Pedelecer
May 3, 2013
You'll need to go elsewhere if you're looking for support in breaking the law.

Bye.
Enjoy the rules you adhere to and the suppression those rules have on ebiking and its uptake. Just because it's the law, doesn't mean it's right. Being gay was against the law.
https://www.thefactsite.com/funny-laws-in-uk/ it's ok to kill a Scotsman (under certain circumstances), but don't beat a rug in the street after 8am or its the pokey for you.

Most rules and laws that get changed, are changed because the majority of people ignore them, they are not changed by waiting for them to be changed. Some rules and laws are just ridiculous and don't get enforced and people forget the rule and law even exists.

*this post is for context - I don't have a blatant disregard for the law*

• Dislike
Reactions: ebiker99

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Most rules and laws that get changed, are changed because the majority of people ignore them, they are not changed by waiting for them to be changed.
that happens from time to time.
What you want is the same as driving through a deserted street at 50mph in a 30mph zone and not expecting to be Gatso'ed.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh and ebiker99

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
SH is looking for a dystopian world like Madmax where there are little or no laws.

SexyHyde

Pedelecer
May 3, 2013
that happens from time to time.
What you want is the same as driving through a deserted street at 50mph in a 30mph zone and not expecting to be Gatso'ed.
No it isn't, I regularly drive at 20mph in 30mph zones, i also drive at 35-40 in some 30mph zones. I know the rules on ebikes that go over 15.5mph are not appropriate. The fact that you think all you have to do is get an ebike SVA tested shows you don't actually know jack ****.

If anything you're the type of guys that would commit crimes against humanity, then say "I was just following orders", at your trial.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The fact that you think all you have to do is get an ebike SVA tested shows you don't actually know jack ****.
Warrah got his 60mph capable e-bike through SVA:

If you only want yo go up to 28mph, you don't need to do as much for your bike.
Read flecc's post 5 years ago.

You can also buy ready made electric motorbikes, the vendor will get it readily registered for you.

Last edited:

SexyHyde

Pedelecer
May 3, 2013
I know what needs doing, I don't think it's worth it for something that's I'm going to restrict way down, as I don't want to run the motor much over 60%, for longevity. I made this clear, but you all got your knickers in a twist like I was some crazy anarchist wanting to see what happens when you hit an oap at 100mph.

Enjoy the current regulations and I'll be back when they get changed. Or I'll be in jail and you'll all be able to tell me you were right. Although having spoken to the local plod and my background I don't think I have much to worry about.

Enjoy your high horses!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you've got the BBS02 before, so you know how easy it is to change the speed limit in your kit. The simple way not to kill your BBS02 is to always keep the revs above 60 RPM. The BBS02 itself is very durable.

SexyHyde

Pedelecer
May 3, 2013
you've got the BBS02 before, so you know how easy it is to change the speed limit in your kit. The simple way not to kill your BBS02 is to always keep the revs above 60 RPM. The BBS02 itself is very durable.
I wouldn't say it was durable, I would say it runs way too close to its max capable limit. We know they used extremely cheap caps on the original controller and they have used cheap caps on the upgraded version. This is somewhat proven by people upgrading the caps which involves removing the potting compound which isn't exactly an easy thing to do.

There's also a healthy market for replacement controllers, this says an awful lot.

But maybe I'm not seeing it properly with my blurred vision from riding at the speed of light on my two wheeled granny spearer. /sarcasm